123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MacUpdate Unveils Spring 2011 Software Bundle
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: MacUpdate Unveils Spring 2011 Software Bundle Reply with quote

MacUpdate Unveils Spring 2011 Software Bundle
Thursday, March 17, 2011
Posted by: Glenn

MacUpdate has announced the availability of their Spring 2011 Software Bundle, featuring a collection of 10 Mac applications. The applications included in year's bundle are Parallels Desktop 6, 1Password 3, MacUpdate Desktop 5, MacDVDRipper Pro 2, DVDRemaster Pro 7, Hands Off, App Tamer, TechTool Pro, Better Finder Rename, and Civilization IV. Here's a desciption of each application from the company:

- Parallels Desktop 6 ($79.95) - The newest version of the #1 Mac virtualization software, Parallels Desktop allows you to run Windows, Linux, and other operating systems at the same time as Mac OS X. MacTech found Parallels Desktop 6 outperforms the competition in 84% of benchmarks.
- 1Password 3 ($39.95; Mac or Windows) - The #1 password manager for Mac and a must-have application for everyone; optionally available as the Windows version for those wanting to use it with Parallels.
- MacUpdate Desktop 5 ($10; 6 month subscription) - Our premium service for automatically downloading & installing updates and new apps.
- MacDVDRipper Pro 2 ($9.95) - The #1 DVD ripping tool, for copying encrypted DVDs to your Mac for backup or viewing without the disc.
- DVDRemaster Pro 7 ($49.95) - A robust media utility for re-compressing DVDs and converting/exporting DVDs to any format (iPod, iPad, iPhone, AppleTV, etc.).
- Hands Off! ($24.95) - Powerful security tool that monitors all incoming and outgoing connections to your Mac, as well as restricting app access to disks.
- App Tamer ($14.95) - Automatically pause unused apps in the background, so they don't consume any CPU cycles or use up battery life.
- TechTool Pro 5.0.7 ($99) - A leading tool for keeping your Mac and its hard drives healthy; included in the bundle is the latest bootable DVD image that supports all Macs released to date except the newest MacBook Pros.
- A Better Finder Rename 8 ($19.95) - The #1 bulk file renaming utility for Mac; perform simple or complex renaming operations in seconds.
- Civilization IV ($19.99) - Legendary turn-based strategy game, Game of the Year winner.

The MacUpdate Spring 2011 Software Bundle is available for $49.99 until March 31, 2011. For an additional $9.99, buyers can purchase the bundle on 2 DVDs, which includes a bootable TechTool Pro DVD.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1603.html
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked one up for Parallels, Civilization IV, 1Password and TechTool Pro.
JayMax

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would there be any issues with an early 09 Mac Mini running parallels? I keep seeing differing views on this.

10 Mac Mini | 09 Macbook
16GB IPhone 3GS | 32GB IPad
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great bundle!

TechTool Pro
1password
Parallels

all for $50... wow!

TechTool Pro or Parallels alone would have made this is great bundle, but having both in the bundle Mac this a sweet deal.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this is a solid bundle for the money with those apps. Not a buyer though. I already have the three Bandit Bill mentioned, which are the ones that make it such an excellent deal.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayMax wrote:
Would there be any issues with an early 09 Mac Mini running parallels? I keep seeing differing views on this.

I can't image why - parallels should run on any Intel Mac and the early 09's were all core 2 duos.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought seriously about the bundle because of TechTool, but the version bundled is one full version out of date and the upgrade price is about $40.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some of the apps in the bundle already, but have been thinking of buying Parallels again as I previously had version 3 from another bundle but never used it and it's now too old to use.

I did recently run a trail version of Parallels 6 whilst on a works visit to a supplier in London. I didn't want to carry two laptops (works and mine) and my Macbook Pro was definitely going as I was stuck in London for 3 nights. Parallels to the rescue as the trial was long enough to cover my visit Wink

Nothing much more I wanted from the bundle but at $50 it's cheaper than the parallels upgrade and the rest makes it a good buy. I already have a Mac Family licence for 1Password so it was nice to see the option to have a 1 Password for windows licence instead.

Divvy and A Better Finder Renamer are great but as I already have them I have gifted them to my daughter.

I'll probably never use Macupdate, DVDRemasterPro, Mac DVDRipper, Hands off or App Tamer. but TechTools may prove to be useful and I may give Civilizations a play, but even without them Parallels, 1Password and the gifted licences make it a worth while purchase.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayMax wrote:

I ran it OK recently on a 2008 Macbook Pro, I did have an older version of Parallels at the time which I bought on a previous bundle but that refused to run on 10.6 so I gave version 6 trial a go and it worked really well.

If your unsure download the trial version and give it a try before you buy the bundle.

strawbale

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking about buying this bundle, but maybe try Parallels 6 on my (mid-2007, 2GHz 2 GB) MacMini first?

I've only got discs of Windows XP Home (SP0 or SP1 - how do I find out?) plus a XP SP2 disc, or a Windows 2000 Pro (SP ?) disc - which one(s) to go for?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

PS: I haven't got any of the other bundled software either, so may buy it anyway.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strawbale, you could download the evaluation copy first and try it out with different virtual machines of Win xp or 2000. You can make as many virtual machines as you want and have many on your HD at the same time. (Just don't try running multiple vm's at the same time.)

I had a vm with Win 2000 Pro on VMware Fusion, so I can't see why any of your Windows copies wouldn't work. I believe it's only with BootCamp that you require certain Windows versions.
copperguy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This bundle is not bad for ripping dvds ...
strawbale

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
strawbale, you could download the evaluation copy first and try it out with different virtual machines of Win xp or 2000. You can make as many virtual machines as you want and have many on your HD at the same time. (Just don't try running multiple vm's at the same time.)

I had a vm with Win 2000 Pro on VMware Fusion, so I can't see why any of your Windows copies wouldn't work. I believe it's only with BootCamp that you require certain Windows versions.

Fox, sorry for my late reply - I'll definately have a go at that.
Just one (probably stupid) question: do I need to install a anti-virus program even if I won't use the Windows part for going online?
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may buy this bundle and use the parallels 6 with windows 7

I know the bundle is a good deal but

is this a good deal for windows 7

windows 7 link

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an email from Parallels inc today offering me a great deal to buy parallels following my recent trail which so far I haven't purchased. The offer ends tomorrow and it works out I would pay 48 for parallels with the discount.

Quote:
24 hours only Save 17 Our lowest price ever"

The Macupdate bundle cost me 32 and came with all the other apps.

I've decided to pass on Parallels, Inc's lowest ever offer.Confused

Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: