123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

close iTune

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: close iTune Reply with quote

Hi, It's a small issue to me, but it really puzzles me a bit: when I want to quit itune I close the window and right click the itune icon on dock to choose "quit" ... it re-launch the itune window again! I have to right click to quit it again and then it quit. Am I missing something here? I am sure I have the latest version. Anyone experience the same? Can I fix it? Thanks in advance.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens when you just right click on the dock icon and select quit, without closing the iTunes window?

Or, since you are clicking on iTunes to close the window, what about if you go up to the menubar and select Quit from the iTunes menu?

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does this as well. I also find it happening when I shutdown the computer. As iTunes shutdowns it restarts and I sometimes get a dialog saying iTunes prevented shutdown.

I have an iTunes helper app running called GimmeSomeTunes which grabs lyrics and cover art for iTunes and I suspect it might be related to that restarting iTunes. Yours may not be the same app but my guess is it's some iTunes helper app restarting iTunes.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty crazy! I did some looking around and this does not seem to be a rare occurrence.

The primary cause for others that are experiencing this problem is either a widget that is running and needs iTunes running, or some other process that needs to have iTunes running. So, when you quit iTunes, the other process or app restarts it.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
fiat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Cypher and SC.

You are both right that some app running with iTune in the background would re-start iTune when it is shut down. I also use GST and I have set its icon shown on menu bar (a music sign). I tried opening itune and started a radio music and GST started to work. Then I click GST icon and "quit" it before shutting down itune. After that I quit itune and it was closed with no more re-start! So the evil one goes to GST (in my case), not itune.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: