123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has Steve Jobs killed the music industry?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Has Steve Jobs killed the music industry? Reply with quote

Check out this article.

http://gizmodo.com/#!5781888/bon-jovi-thinks-steve-jobs-personally-killed-the-music-industry

I hate to say, but I kinda agree with Bon Jovi. It used to be great going into record stores and stuff. Everything is so commercial and anal now. Buying music and syncing to your iPod, iPhone or iPad is cool, but something is just lost in the process. Its not really fun or social either.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or try this link -> Bon Jovi is a dork.

Say there was never an MP3 or other type of convenient audio file. You still have the internet, and still have eCommerce. This would still lead to Amazon, CD Baby, and all the online music sales sites.

Of course if you go back farther, there was all the whining about CDs. Amazingly this whining continues today. With the resurgence of big old slabs of vinyl so that people can get that warm(but less accurate with every play due to the destructive nature of the whole LP system) sound, and hold those record jackets with their eyes closed.

So yeah, I'm guessing Bon Jovi loves getting those emails that say something like "Remember when for five cents you could..." Or maybe he forgot where his local music stores are?

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!

Last edited by Smithcraft on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:09 am; edited 2 times in total
cheef

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet he's not complaining about Bon Jovi's iTunes income lining his pockets, though.
iMac 27" i5 2.66GHz, 12GB
MacBook Air 11" 1.4GHz, 4GB
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you can put 100,000 songs on one hdd.

Once you can do it for free (not legal but come on)

The music industry became all about concerts. Records in a vain attempt to prevent recording them and losing that "warm sound"

If you want to blame Jobs fine but Gates would have done it. Napster started the trend.

Before Napster cd copiers existed.

Sony had them in the 90's.

If you really want to place the blame it goes back to Philips for building the first CD player.

Cassette tapes were not that good So many good free copies were not easy to do.

Once cd's came out recorded music sales were doomed. At first making the copies was not cheap but hey what does a blank cd cost now.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Has Steve Jobs killed the music industry? Reply with quote

devo wrote:
something is just lost in the process. Its not really fun or social either.

I agree... before you used to borrow your friends music, or discuss which albums you had. If you were visiting their house you'd ask to check out their collection.

People took pride in their collections, it was a huge reflection on who they were.

All this has been lost.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Steve Jobs killed the music industry? Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
devo wrote:

I agree... before you used to borrow your friends music, or discuss which albums you had. If you were visiting their house you'd ask to check out their collection.

People took pride in their collections, it was a huge reflection on who they were.

All this has been lost.

I don't think that's the case so much, I know my collection tends to lead to discussion as it has such much foreign music in it.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Steve Jobs killed the music industry? Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
devo wrote:

All this has been lost.

Yes, I remember and liked those days with vinyl and the kool album covers that came with some, even posters inside. I also had a nice collection for awhile.

Those were the days!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Steve Jobs killed the music industry? Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
devo wrote:

All this has been lost.

I don't think that's the case so much, I know my collection tends to lead to discussion as it has such much foreign music in it.

Dungeon, I can't fully relate to where you are coming from, but I still respect it... that's cool. Similarly I can't expect you to fully relate to holding a Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti album in your hands for the first time.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's Steve Jobs whose killed it it happened well before MP3's came along. I remember the vinyl days fondly, the feel and smell of the 12" vinyl record and it's fold out cover of art work including notes and the separate sleeve for the record which was usually a pig to get back inside the cardboard cover. CD's were the start of the demise, ok they may have been more robust and with a cleaner no pop sound but they never gave the same feeling as a traditional vinyl record. Mp3's have just taken this to the next level by removing the physical media completely.

The publishing industry is currently in the same position with a huge take up in eBook readers thanks it the likes of the Amazon's Kindle, I love the smell and feel of a new book, although I'm not so keen on second hand ones. However I have to say I do prefer reading on the Kindle than I do a physical book. Although having a Kindle on a shelf won't quite have the same appeal as a bookcase for of books Sad

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
I have to say I do prefer reading on the Kindle than I do a physical book. Although having a Kindle on a shelf won't quite have the same appeal as a bookcase for of books Sad

That's a good analogy.

I'm just imagining someone swearing on an eBible Smile It just doesn't have the same impact. Smile

Even even if people are reading more than ever. The book stores/libraries/news stands etc. are feeling the effects as well.

We can't hold any one person accountable. It's just progression.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: