123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommend a monitor switcher, please?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebedgert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Recommend a monitor switcher, please? Reply with quote

I got a new Mac Mini but miss my old (Tiger) one a lot. A lot of software I relied on isn't available for Snow Leopard, or doesn't work the same. I'd like to occasionally use the old one, and am looking for a recommendation for a switchbox that would enable me to use one monitor, mouse and keyboard alternatively for both Minis. Does anyone have a suggestion for a particular brand of switcher?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on your monitor you may be able to do it without a switcher. On my monitor I have the DVI input connected to my iMac and the HDMI to either my PS3 or the Mac Mini. I simply select the input on the monitor to switch between the two.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interresting:

I haven't seen to many KVM's for macintosh i have seen several ibm ones though that would work my question is however are you using DVI because if you are using DVI your looking at a price difference between 100.00 to as much as 200.00 for one however if you want a cheaters method here is what you do.

How to cheat A Kvm for multiple monitors.

Warning this does work however sharing keyboards is out of the question this keeps your kvm purchase cheap versus expensive.

what you need:

1. A Ibm kvm to share multiple monitors (dont wory about the ps2 ibm keyboard and mouse hookups

2. A Vga to dvi converter also known as a gender bender. (if you plan to use dvi only)

3. wire cutters.

thats it lets begin.

first you will notice 2 ps2 jacks on the cable to the kvm disable them by removing the ps2 plugs on the kvm cable you can cut or tape off your choice.

connect the vga to dvi converters to your kvm this will save you about 200.00 versus buying a kvm with dvi at 300.00 or more.

hook up your monitors and your done.

you will have to find another keyboard for the other machine but still cheaper in the long run.
graceangela9

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Recommend a monitor switcher, please? Reply with quote

ebedgert wrote:
I got a new Mac Mini but miss my old (Tiger) one a lot. A lot of software I relied on isn't available for Snow Leopard, or doesn't work the same. I'd like to occasionally use the old one, and am looking for a recommendation for a switchbox that would enable me to use one monitor, mouse and keyboard alternatively for both Minis. Does anyone have a suggestion for a particular brand of switcher?

I think the KVM switch may be best suited for switching with two minis.It allows switching by using only one keyboard and one mouse.So try this.
daceymathers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

I think you should use KVM switch.KVM Switch also referred to as Keyboard Video Mouse switch is a device used to connect a keyboard, mouse and monitor to two or more computers. KVM switches save you money, time, space, equipment and power. These switches are also widely deployed to control pools of servers in data centers. Some KVM switches support user terminals at both ends that allow local and remote access to all the computers or servers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: