123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why the newer version over the older Apple TV ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug C

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Why the newer version over the older Apple TV ? Reply with quote

I'm going to pick up a used Apple TV and was wondering why not just get an older one, I could always use the extra storage. However, I don't really want to keep everything on the ATv's hard-drive either. Is there real advantages to getting the newer ones that I'm not thinking of? What improvements were made? TIA.
Doug C

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The obvious is that the old one doesn't have Netflix and the newer one does. But can't Netflix content be streamed to your computer, temporarily saved there (or watched immediately) and streamed to the TV via an older Apple TV? Or is the use of Netflix completely out with the older ones? Sorry for the newby questions.
gibmini

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Posted before, but what the heck... Reply with quote

I've suggested this view of the atv before, but hopefully it will be of assistance in answering your question:

I personally recon that the previous version of the atv (160Gb) is better than the current one, for my needs at least. It has 2 advantages over the new one:

1. it saves the latest versions of films (or the ones you watch most often) on the drive so does not have to stream the content each time you want to watch it. This is good because if you have a lot of network traffic on your wireless network you might find that - especially hd content - may stutter in some circumstances. Think of the hard drive on the atv not as primary storage, but as a buffer.
2. if you travel you can take your atv with you with at least the 160Gb of movies you have stored on it (plus movies, podcasts etc). It gives you a way of having access to some/all of your media while you are away without having to have a fast net connection. You can't do this with the new atv.

Just my view, but it works for me and I won't be upgrading anytime soon unless there is a significant jump in the functionality of the new atv's software over the previous one.

GM

iPhone 4S
2.3GHz latest gen macbook pro, 2.4GHz latest gen Mini, 1.83GHz Mini, 2.0GHz Macbook
160Gb 1st gen ATV & 2nd gen ATV
1 of every gen of Nano
iPhone 4S
30" apple cinema display
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also put a Broadcom card in the older ATV and when used with XBMC, you would have a much more capable ATV.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Doug C

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys, I'd been leaning towards the older version... but I'm still unclear - can I utilize netflix (and/or others) to get streaming programs to my computer then have the older ATV pick it up at the same time ? Or is it only going to be good for non-streaming stuff ?
gibmini

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there's no netflix app for the older atv that I know of, but someone else might have a workaround. I do think though that if you want to stream direct from netflix then you'll need the new one. But if you want to have itunes and your own content streaming from your mac to the atv or stored in the atv then the old one if better.

BTW, in the dec issue of Wired they review the new atv and say its not 'as capable' as the old one... Smile

iPhone 4S
2.3GHz latest gen macbook pro, 2.4GHz latest gen Mini, 1.83GHz Mini, 2.0GHz Macbook
160Gb 1st gen ATV & 2nd gen ATV
1 of every gen of Nano
iPhone 4S
30" apple cinema display
mwayne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
You can also put a Broadcom card in the older ATV and when used with XBMC, you would have a much more capable ATV.

SC

I saw this and wanted to get a bit more info. Any instructions on how to do this Broadcom install and where to get a card.
Cheers

from sunny Manchester in UK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: