123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No more Front Row in Lion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: No more Front Row in Lion Reply with quote

9 to 5 Mac is saying that Front Row might be removed from Lion when it's released. I don't think many of us are really using it anymore (Boxee user myself), but it's kind of sad. I think Apple could have done something really special with Front Row, but everything obviously went towards the Apple TV. Then again, anything new in Front Row would have been tied to iTunes. That was sort of the short fall to begin with. Any thoughts?

http://www.9to5mac.com/53989/front-row-is-missing-from-10-7-lion
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple already dropped the remote, so I'm not really too surprised about this. However, I really wouldn't put any stock into what is included, or not included, in a developers release. I would also imagine that the point of this developers release is to get the new stuff into the developers hands to start making stuff for it.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If true, that sucks cause I still like using Front Row for music.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
Apple already dropped the remote, so I'm not really too surprised about this. However, I really wouldn't put any stock into what is included, or not included, in a developers release. I would also imagine that the point of this developers release is to get the new stuff into the developers hands to start making stuff for it.

SC

When did they drop the remote? They just made it an upgrade feature, that I bought a $10 universal remote that has the same functionality for.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They didn't make it an upgrade feature. I just checked the Apple store and it's not even in the accessories list for a 2.66GHz mini when you are checking out. You have to search for it. And who is going to pay $20 for the new Apple remote when you are dropping a grand on a computer?

SC

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
tales
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is listed in the accessories for the 2.4 mini.

$20 for a remote when dropping a grand on a rig that doesn't come with a mouse or keyboard doesn't seem so bad Laughing
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
They didn't make it an upgrade feature. I just checked the Apple store and it's not even in the accessories list for a 2.66GHz mini when you are checking out. You have to search for it. And who is going to pay $20 for the new Apple remote when you are dropping a grand on a computer?

SC

It's listed in the BTO for the Mac mini and the new MacBook Pro.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it's still $20 on a $1200 computer, and it's still something that has to be ordered as an extra item. It is not included by default with the computer. It's not even listed with the 12 core MacPro.

So, overall I'm not sure what your point is dungeon92. Apple no longer includes the remote with any computer, from the cheapest mini to the most expensive MacPro. Many of the computers don't even list it as an accessory.

If your point is that Apple still makes a remote that people can purchase in addition to the remote, then what does that have to do with FrontRow maybe/maybe not being in Lion?

My point remains that Apple no longer includes the remote and doesn't even mention it as a viable accessory with many of the computers it sells. To this end, the possible obsolescence of FrontRow comes as no surprise to me.

SC

Make sure it has pins!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see which way Apple is going with regard to home theater and the mini. It doesn't make much sense to incorporate a HDMI port and a slim line design, then move away from home theater.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
It will be interesting to see which way Apple is going with regard to home theater and the mini. It doesn't make much sense to incorporate a HDMI port and a slim line design, then move away from home theater.

It doesn't, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. Then again, they really aren't really promoting Front Row when it comes to using HDMI with the Mac mini anymore. They are sort of just promoting iTunes as the front and back end for viewing movies and listening to music. Maybe I'm reading into it wrong though, who knows. It's always hard guessing what Apple is going to do next.

Quote:
It’s easy to connect Mac mini to the biggest screen in the house — your HDTV — courtesy of a built-in HDMI port. Plug in one HDMI cable and start enjoying content on your Mac mini in brilliant HD. Like movies and TV shows from iTunes, the Internet, and your photo library. There’s also a handy control that lets you easily adjust the output on Mac mini to fill even the biggest HDTV screen. And when you just want to listen to music, you can play your entire iTunes collection through your home entertainment center, or stream it to a set of speakers in any room via an AirPort Express Base Station.

http://www.apple.com/macmini/features.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: