123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates MacBook Pro
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Apple Updates MacBook Pro Reply with quote

Apple Updates MacBook Pro
Thursday, February 24, 201
Posted by: Kenan

Apple today updated their MacBook Pro line of computers with next generation processors and graphics, high-speed Thunderbolt I/O technology and a new FaceTime HD camera. According to the company, the entire MacBook Pro line is up to twice as fast as the previous generation with these latest dual-core and quad-core Intel Core processors.

"The new MacBook Pro brings next generation dual and quad Core processors, high performance graphics, Thunderbolt technology and FaceTime HD to the great design loved by our pro customers," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "Thunderbolt is a revolutionary new I/O technology that delivers an amazing 10 gigabits per second and can support every important I/O standard which is ideal for the new MacBook Pro."

Starting at $1,199, the highly portable 13-inch MacBook Pro features Intel Core i5 and Core i7 dual-core processors up to 2.7 GHz and Intel HD Graphics 3000. The 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pro models feature quad-core Core i7 processors up to 2.3 GHz and AMD Radeon HD graphics processors with up to 1GB of video memory for high performance gaming, pro video editing and graphics intensive applications.

MacBook Pro is the first computer on the market to include the groundbreaking Thunderbolt I/O technology. Developed by Intel with collaboration from Apple, Thunderbolt enables expandability never before possible on a notebook computer. Featuring two bi-directional channels with transfer speeds up to an amazing 10Gbps each, Thunderbolt delivers PCI Express directly to external high performance peripherals such as RAID arrays, and can support FireWire and USB consumer devices and Gigabit Ethernet networks via adapters. Thunderbolt also supports DisplayPort for high resolution displays and works with existing adapters for HDMI, DVI and VGA displays. Freely available for implementation on systems, cables and devices, Thunderbolt technology is expected to be widely adopted as a new standard for high performance I/O.

The MacBook Pro now includes a built-in FaceTime HD camera with triple the resolution of the previous generation for crisp, widescreen video calls. With Apple’s innovative FaceTime video calling software, the new camera allows high definition video calls between all new MacBook Pro models and supports standard resolution calls with other Intel-based Macs, iPhone 4 and the current generation iPod touch. FaceTime is included with all new MacBook Pro models and is available for other Intel-based Macs from the Mac App Store for 99 cents.

The new 13-inch MacBook Pro, 15-inch MacBook Pro and 17-inch MacBook Pro are available through the Apple Store, Apple’s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. The 13-inch MacBook Pro is available in two configurations: one with a 2.3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 and 320GB hard drive starting at $1,199; and one with a 2.7 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 and 500GB hard drive starting at $1,499. The new 15-inch MacBook Pro is available in two models: one with a 2.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon HD 6490M and 500GB hard drive starting at $1,799 and one with a 2.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon HD 6750M and 750GB hard drive starting at $2,199. The new 17-inch MacBook Pro features a 2.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon HD 6750M and 750GB hard drive and is priced at $2,499.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1587.html
Colstan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Apple Updates MacBook Pro Reply with quote

The most interesting part of this announcement, specifically in regards to the Mac mini, is that the low-end 13" MacBook Pro has historically been the closest to the base Mac mini configuration. We can probably deduce some of the next-gen mini's specs by looking at the 13" MBP. First, it uses Intel integrated graphics. So, Apple must be satisfied with Sandy Bridge graphics performance and how that may involve OpenCL. It uses a 2.3Ghz dual-core i5, but Apple may choose to use some version of the i3 for the base Mac mini. Also, all of the MBP models ship with 5400RPM hard drives as standard. We can expect the base mini to ship with those as well. The 13" MBP does not have an option to upgrade to a 7200RPM model, unlike the 15" and 17" MBP. However, all of the models have build-to-order options for an SSD. There's no way to know if Apple will offer SSDs for the next Mac mini or even a 7200RPM hard drive.

I think that the main takeaway from this announcement, is that the next version of the Mac mini will feature Intel's Sandy Bridge processor with Intel integrated graphics. Second, the base mini will probably have a 5400RPM hard drive. Third, we can expect "Thunderbolt" on all of Apple's new Macs going forward. The big question is whether or not Apple will provide an SSD option.

Colstan
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if t-bolt allows a booting option the mini's interior disk becomes a mute point.
promise will have a 4 drive raid that hooks up to t-bolt
lacie has stated they will use t-bolt
as will western digital I have a link I will look for it.

http://www.slashgear.com/intel-thunderbolt-partners-detailed-lacie-promise-western-digital-more-24135907/

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw if the new mini has t-bolt

the 2010 mini will be the worst value upgrade in a while

Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-bolt would make the Mac mini so awesome. Even more so on the server front. And especially seeing that OS X Server will be a part of Lion.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree both the mac mini and iMac will be greatly helped with t-bolt

WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Thunderbolt is just being rolled out by Apple and Intel, but has anyone announced external drives with the interface yet?
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.slashgear.com/intel-thunderbolt-partners-detailed-lacie-promise-western-digital-more-24135907/

this is all i can find

philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.intel.com/technology/io/thunderbolt/index.htm

http://www.intel.com/technology/io/thunderbolt/325136-001US_secured.pdf

three links

Colstan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it looks like Thunderbolt, if it works properly, will make the need for fast internal storage unnecessary. Easy external PCI Express is going to be great. The storage and peripheral device support alone would be worth the upgrade. No need to open the Mac if you can daisy chain everything on a single port.

Colstan
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

External SSDs plus Thunderbolt have to make for a sweet combo. Super fast plus no noise equals heaven for me.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaCie has the Little Big Disk ready to go for this summer. It has Thunderbolt and two 250GB SSD drives.

http://www.lacie.com/us/technologies/technology.htm?id=10039

I bet it will be as expensive as crap though.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah but buy that plug it in first then buy some 6tb or 8tb add on and you have a real real beast and you would never need to upgrade the internal hdd it would be just for backup.

mdgm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
if t-bolt allows a booting option the mini's interior disk becomes a mute point.

I disagree. Not everyone will want to have a storage array connected to the Mac. Also you may wish to use an SSD in the Mac as the boot disk and then store the data for your applications on the array connected via Thunderbolt
2011 Mini Server
NAS - 10 x ReadyNAS units
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes for those that are really into form .

they can take that path. also no one knows if booting will be allowed over t-bolt . but damn there are going to be some huge improvements in the new mini.

reminds me of the oct 09 2.66 mini with 8gb ram and fw800 at the time ahead of a lot of machines. and ahead of all machines in its weight/size class.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: