123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MacPro vs mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for that price mac pro
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ez061111 wrote:
for that price mac pro

Its not from Apple and the warranty is something
like 30 days. Also, would a newer Single Processor
2.66 Quad Core on a single die be better than the
Two Dual Core Processor's? In spite of that, $900
seems pretty inexpensive.
Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Missed Out Reply with quote

I waited to long and MISSED the deal.
20" iMac G4 PPC
mdgm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Missed Out Reply with quote

philiparcario is the Mac Pro still working well for you? Any new thoughts now that you've had it a while longer?
2011 Mini Server
NAS - 10 x ReadyNAS units
Ajwatuc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said in your comparison quad core mac mini
mdgm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ajwatuc wrote:
You said in your comparison quad core mac mini

Good pickup. He should have said dual core or C2D
2011 Mini Server
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Missed Out Reply with quote

mdgm wrote:
philiparcario is the Mac Pro still working well for you? Any new thoughts now that you've had it a while longer?

yes in the computer room I use the mac pro it is by far far far far better then a mini. refurb price is below;

$2119

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC560LL/A?mco=MTkyMTM1OTY

the initial price is high but many good features. The machine will last 5 to 7 years. It will not go out of date. it can hold 12tb with four 3tb hdds and a fifth one in the second optical slot. you can add gear to it slow but sure. a hdd at a time ram as needed it has a built in airport express. it is quiet.

while I have really done lots with a mini the cpu freeze is annoying 2.66GHz c2d has really limited the mini's value as a ht. I am still using one for my ht. I am not going to blu ray because I like my mini. I don't want to change it setup so for now I watch dvd's and stream netflix.

BY having the mac pro I can end the need for a high end nas or a drobo.
my network has a mac pro
an iMac
one mini

along with a low end nas. everything is linked via the nas. all 3 machines have eyetv and can record.. the mac pro holds all backup recordings but I can move anything to the synology nas then to the machine I want to watch the recording on. so the pro means you don't need a drobo or any expensive nas storage a 150 dollar synology will do. you can also record 3 things at once.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822108042&cm_re=synology-_-22-108-042-_-Product

with a 2tb samsung 89

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx? Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=2tb+samsung&x=0&y=0

your cost is 250 instead of 1000 plus for a high end nas

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seriously considering a mac pro. Not sure yet but the mini is still serving me great but I would like a much zippier machine. Not sure I want to go imac because I like my old cinema display. I'm a little worried about the mac pro noise compared to the mini. Its so quiet I actually like taking a little hit on speed just for that peace and quiet.
mdgm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Missed Out Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:

the initial price is high but many good features. The machine will last 5 to 7 years. It will not go out of date. it can hold 12tb with four 3tb hdds and a fifth one in the second optical slot. you can add gear to it slow but sure. a hdd at a time ram as needed it has a built in airport express. it is quiet.

Those are very attractive features. I really do want to get one, but I do have to try to justify the cost. My other problem is that there's probably always going to be something new that I think I'll want well within 5-7 years that's not in the Mac Pro. At the moment there's thing's such as SATA III, USB 3.0 and 10Gbps ethernet.
philiparcario wrote:

while I have really done lots with a mini the cpu freeze is annoying 2.66GHz c2d has really limited the mini's value as a ht. I am still using one for my ht. I am not going to blu ray because I like my mini. I don't want to change it setup so for now I watch dvd's and stream netflix.

I agree with sticking with the Mini. I still am too and do wish that they brought blu-ray to the Mac Mini. I do hope they make the Mini a much powerful machine than it is now within the next refresh or two.
philiparcario wrote:

BY having the mac pro I can end the need for a high end nas or a drobo.
my network has a mac pro
an iMac
one mini

along with a low end nas. everything is linked via the nas. all 3 machines have eyetv and can record.. the mac pro holds all backup recordings but I can move anything to the synology nas then to the machine I want to watch the recording on. so the pro means you don't need a drobo or any expensive nas storage a 150 dollar synology will do. you can also record 3 things at once.

My problem is that if I wanted to use a Mac Pro to replace my NAS units I'd probably need multiple Mac Pros with the rate my data collection is growing. I also like the ability to do NAS to NAS backups and the ability to swap disks out one by one with higher capacity disks and get expansion. Not to mention that if I use a NAS just for file serving it's less likely to crash than a Mac Pro actively being used as a workstation. I'd probably like putting multiple SSDs in a Mac Pro (use it as a workstation) and still using my NAS units for storing most of my data. I already do have multiple NAS units (sunk cost) so I guess that'd also help my decision if I got a Mac Pro.

philiparcario wrote:

your cost is 250 instead of 1000 plus for a high end nas

Sure that saving is attractive in some ways, but I do see value in having Network Attached Storage on my network. As well as being cheaper to buy a NAS than a Mac Pro, it contributes less to the power bill.
2011 Mini Server
mdgm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Finkle wrote:
I'm seriously considering a mac pro. Not sure yet but the mini is still serving me great but I would like a much zippier machine. Not sure I want to go imac because I like my old cinema display. I'm a little worried about the mac pro noise compared to the mini. Its so quiet I actually like taking a little hit on speed just for that peace and quiet.

The Mac Pro should be pretty quiet. Depending on your storage requirements and budget using SSDs (get 3rd party ones and use e.g. the Icy Dock) rather than mechanical hard drives would help keep the noise down.
2011 Mini Server
hwojtek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1,1 Mac Pro (two dual-core CPUs, 2.0 GHz, basic model bought when they were launched) and although it scores lower in Geekbench or Xbench than my fresh 2010 Mini (apart from disk benchmarks, I haven't put the SSD into the Mini yet) - but truth to be told: it annihilates the Mini in any processor-intensive work. Photoshop and Final Cut are just by a factor of magnitude faster on this old Pro.
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Need To Know Reply with quote

hwojtek wrote:
I have a 1,1 Mac Pro (two dual-core CPUs, 2.0 GHz, basic model bought when they were launched) and although it scores lower in Geekbench or Xbench than my fresh 2010 Mini (apart from disk benchmarks, I haven't put the SSD into the Mini yet) - but truth to be told: it annihilates the Mini in any processor-intensive work. Photoshop and Final Cut are just by a factor of magnitude faster on this old Pro.
Thank you "hwojtek". Thats what I needed to know.
If there is a next time and I have the scratch
I won't hesitate.
20" iMac G4 PPC
aprilfools1993

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Mac-Pro-MA356LL-A-Quad-core-xeon-2-0ghz-A1186-/260770851797?pt=Apple_Desktops&hash=item3cb7276bd5

I got this off eBay and it runs awesome! I've got OS X and Windows 7 on dual boot, threw in an ATI 5770 and two 1TB drives. Needs a ram upgrade. Didn't come with an Airport card... If you need wifi, I would suggest:

http://www.amazon.com/AWUS036H-Wireless-Adapter-Network-Antenna/dp/B000QYGNKQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1303466425&sr=8-3

and you can find the drivers here:

http://www.alfa.com.tw/in/front/bin/ptdetail.phtml?Part=AWUS036H&Category=0

I'm having a blast with mine! Dudes got 11 left! All $905!
aprilfools1993

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Mac-Pro-MA356LL-A-Quad-core-xeon-2-0ghz-A1186-/260774694385?pt=Apple_Desktops&hash=item3cb7620df1#ht_1764wt_847

up again!
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Mac Pro 64-bit ? Reply with quote

Great update! Thanks!
Does this model run in
64-bit without any hacks ?
Just curious.
20" iMac G4 PPC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: