123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini HTPC & Macbook Pro / need suggestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjk6277

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Mac Mini HTPC & Macbook Pro / need suggestions Reply with quote

I just bought a first generation Mac mini, 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB memory, 320GB HD, 8x SuperDrive & a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M.
I have a Macbook Pro and a Time Capsule backing up my laptop and providing my network. I also have an iPhone & MobileMe.

I would like to build a HTPC with the Mini. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I need and how to set it up? I'd like to try PLEX. For storage, I think I need to get a least a 2TB external for movies and TV shows. I also have a lot of music on the MBP that I'd like to share, somehow.

I saw an app called Mobile Air Mouse for the iPhone that looks like it can control the Mini & possibly the whole home theater. Has anyone tried?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
tjk6277

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently using the Macbook Pro as my semi-mobile desktop, hooked up to an Apple Cinema Display.
mm2k10

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2010 mini, set up as an HTPC with Plex. The apple remote is all that's needed to control all the functionality of Plex. For everything other than Plex, I use either screen sharing or the TouchMouse app for the iPhone.
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Mobile Mouse to control my Macs (and PCs) from my iPod Touch via WiFi:

http://mobilemouse.com/

Those servers above are FREE for OSX and Windows, and there is a (less well advertised!) FREE client to run on the iPod Touch/iPhone:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mobile-mouse-free-remote-trackpad/id356395556?mt=8
unblowupable5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28594
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: