123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can someone walk me through SwitchResX? Please!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lost240

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Can someone walk me through SwitchResX? Please! Reply with quote

i have a 47" sharp lcd model LC-47SB57UT and a 2009 Mac Mini. I want to have my mini connected through HDMI, but it either doesn't fill the screen, or fills too much of it. My TV does not have a dot by dot option so I am stuck with SwitchResX to solve this. The problem is that I don't understand how to use it. I just black out my screen.

Looking at my TV manual 1080P should be..
1920X1080
Horizontal Frequency 67.500 kHz
Vertical Frequency 60.00 kHz
Pixel Clock Freq. 148.500 MHz

Can someone please help me with the SwitchResX settings?

Thanks!
tales
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the VGA input. That should work.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the manual, the VGA input only supports(best resolution) 1680 by 1050. Via the VGA connection it doesn't support any 1.78(16 by 9) resolutions. That makes me think that it's not really a 1080 display. Which is odd since anything bigger than 37 inches should be 1080.

This thread(page 4) at the AVS Forums has a mention of the same display, but nobody posted any solution.

Anyway, I'll spend some more time with the manual and see what I see.

For me SRX is something that I never want to have to deal with after getting it working... However, I usually just plug the resolutions into SRX and let it figure everything out. If I have to mess around after that, then I go from there and mess about with the settings. Then I remember to adjust the settings in the PC menu on the teevee... Embarassed

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
tales
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try VGA 1680 X 1050 that could be the size needed to fill your screen without overscan.
mm2k10

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post makes it seem like it's not actually a 1080p display.

Have you been able to get other inputs to fill the screen fully (without anything being cut off)?[/url]
Lost240

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses. At the moment I do have the mini hooked up through VGA and it works great. The issue is that I want to do HDMI switching with my receiver so I am down to one remote and so the picture is crisp. The VGA is ok, but not great.

I am not having any issues with other components. My PS3, and blu-ray player both display content as it should be on the screen when set to 1080p.
tales
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost240 wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. At the moment I do have the mini hooked up through VGA and it works great. The issue is that I want to do HDMI switching with my receiver so I am down to one remote and so the picture is crisp. The VGA is ok, but not great.

I am not having any issues with other components. My PS3, and blu-ray player both display content as it should be on the screen when set to 1080p.

Its something with that HDTV, Many people are saying it not a true 1080p. I don't know if it is . Also some report its branded by Sharp not made by them.

VGA is a HD input, i have used my mini on Many HDTVs & most with VGA
I can't tell the difference. You do have to calibrate the mini to the HDTV for best picture.

I have my mini hooked up using HDMI because a pin in my VGA cable bent. I want that HDMI port for something with sound, i will go back to VGA Next time i order cables ill order a VGA cable.

There is a small difference, HDMI is digital but i doubt you will notice it using VGA over HDMI.

As for the remote look into harmony remotes it will control EVERYTHING!

Just my 2ยข
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: