123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac App Store Downloads Top One Million in First Day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Mac App Store Downloads Top One Million in First Day Reply with quote

Mac App Store Downloads Top One Million in First Day
Friday, January 7, 2011
Posted by: Kenan

Apple today announced that over one million apps have been downloaded from the Mac App Store in the first day. "We're amazed at the incredible response the Mac App Store is getting," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "Developers have done a great job bringing apps to the store and users are loving how easy and fun the Mac App Store is." So gang, how many of those million downloads have been coming from your Mac? And, what are your early impressions of the Mac App Store? Fire off in the forums!

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1572.html
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! I'm going to back-up my system, install the updates and try it out. I'll let you know what I think.
decaturnc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of the store. I am afraid that I will fall victim to app store burnout like I have with the app store in iTunes. Trying to wade through the "crap" applications to find the decent ones becomes very tiring very quickly.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded a couple apps (perhaps a couple with the hack Razz ) here and there. I have to admit, it's pretty neat. I like how the apps jump from the top down into your dock and stuff. It should also come in handy for keeping everything up to date. I guess time will tell, but for now I give it a B minus. Mostly because there isn't a ton of apps in there.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't that impressed at first, but it's growing on me a little now. I mean, I didn't think I would use it much, but first thing this morning I went and browsed the Top Charts and downloaded two applications. Smile
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Excellent! I'm going to back-up my system, install the updates and try it out. I'll let you know what I think.

I did my updates and tried it out. I must say that it is nice to go to a site that you can trust to download content. I'm glad there are free apps.

The one thing that I didn't like was having to sign up with Apple to download a free app. I think that's a bit cheesy. I already had an Apple ID but my credit card info had expired. I had to update my credit card info before I could do the download.

If it wasn't Apple. There is no way on earth that I would give an online company my credit card info to download a free app.

I guess you have to take the good with the bad.

All in all. This is going to be great for the Apple community.

BTW ugly icon
adv2k169

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO NOT BUY ANGY BIRDS IF YOU HAVE MAC MINI WITH Intel GMA 950 GRAPHICS. IS DOES NOT WORK !!!!!!

The tide has turned in reviews and more 1 star reviews because it does NOT work unless you have the newest mac hardware. I am pissed off because it looks like my $5 went down the drain and its not my fault. Aps should work on all macs that can play 10.66 not just newer ones. going to think twice next time I buy an ap, i'll try out free ones but unless i get my money back or get fixed than apple is on thin ice
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
The one thing that I didn't like was having to sign up with Apple to download a free app. I think that's a bit cheesy. I already had an Apple ID but my credit card info had expired. I had to update my credit card info before I could do the download.

I had to do the same Bandit. Well, at least with my three-digit security code on the back of the card. Maybe it has something to do with this in certain cases?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110106/tc_afp/chinaitinternetcrimeretailtaobaoapple_20110106110622

I like the store though. I just can't understand why some of my apps aren't being shown as installed. Like all of my iWork '09 apps for example.
Texark

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

BTW ugly icon

+1

I also hate that look on the iTunes 10 icon.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren't many new apps to get excited about, but I think the store itself is going to be helpful going forward. If for only keeping you apps update and running smoothly. I also like the idea of a la carte apps from Apple. It would be nice to see the iWork apps come down to $14.99 though. I mean, whenever the new suite is released.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else surprised that apps like Handbrake and VLC aren't in the Mac App Store? Razz

I think the Mac App Store is an okay idea. But to be honest, it sort of makes the state of apps on the Mac look sad. And... it looks like people are already squatting names. Weather HD would be an example of this.
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fear one day we will only be able to download anything just from the app store.
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rightondamark wrote:
Anyone else surprised that apps like Handbrake and VLC aren't in the Mac App Store? Razz

Remi Denis-Courmont, a Linux developer of the popular VLC media player, has just announced that Apple had pulled the popular GPLed VLC media player from its App Store.

Some people swore that just because the free-software General Public License (GPL) clashes with the Apple App Store's Terms of Service (ToS), didn't mean that Apple would actually pull down GPLed apps. Well, Apple just did.
Texark

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Finkle wrote:
I fear one day we will only be able to download anything just from the app store.

It would be a nightmare for the Mac App Store to be the default and/or one and only way to downloads apps on the Mac. I don't think Apple would be so foolish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: