123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Core Duo - Sony Plasma - DVI gives "No SYNC"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liamfm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Core Duo - Sony Plasma - DVI gives "No SYNC" Reply with quote

Okay, I'm at a complete loss.

Here is the setup:
1.6 Core Duo
2gb
DVI Port
USB wireless keyboard
NVRam just reset

DVI-D Dual Layer cable to:

Sony Plasma Display PFM42x1 cable running into input 2 (DVI).

When the mini is plugged into the VGA port on the TV it works great (using the DVI-VGA adapter on the mini)

When the mini is plugged into the DVI port using a DVI-D Single OR Dual Layer cable I get NOTHING. "No Sync" on my TV.

If I plug in my DVD player using the HDMI-DVI cable I have I get the image perfectly from my DVD player, so the DVI port works on the TV.

The mac doesn't recognize the tv. I am using VNC to control it, and the display settings don't seem to recognize that a TV is plugged in. I've set resolutions to 1024x768, 800x600, 1280x1024.

I can not get my plasma tv to recognize the DVI from the mac mini!

Any tips? So frusterated. I have a VGA-Component cable on the way which will run into my a/v receiver, and I hope this works, but I'd really like to know why I can't get the DVI to work.

Help! I'm pulling my hair out!
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm going to cheat here because I'm too tired to look up the manual for that display, but have you messed around with SwitchResX?

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
liamfm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried switchresx, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to lock it at 1366x768 or even 1360x768.

if someone can give me a step by step that would be great. (honestly I'm pretty good with computers, but switchrx has me stumped). Because it doesn't recognize that there is a monitor plugged in (using VNC) the icon in the task bar is always greyed out and I can't seem to get any settings to stick.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't give you the steps to set up SRX, 'cuz it seems like they change it around every time I need to use it...

However, why not just use the VGA connection?

SC

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
liamfm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft,
The VGA port on the sony is taken up by the hk AVR 7300 reciever outputting the signals of the DVD player, the sat box, vcr (haha), etc.

Plugged directly VGA of mac to VGA of the sony monitor it works great, but then I can't get anything that runs through my receiver.

Today i got a VGA to component cable. I ran the following:

DVI-VGA adaptor -> VGA to component cable from mac to avr 7300. The avr should then take that signal and pass it through to the component to vga cable that runs to the monitor.

Again, no sync.

I was able to get about 2/3rds of the grey boot screen to come up (shifted to far right). It was reading 800x600/60. The monitor then went blank as osx loaded.

I've called Harmon Kardon (no help from india). I've called Sony and have the phone number for their mac expert and will call on monday. Until then I'm fishing for more ideas.

Thanks!
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, looking at the manual I see that there isn't an HDMI connection which is what I thought that you was how you were connecting the Sony to the receiver. Embarassed

As I'm still going through the manual, I'm wondering if you would be able to find a BKM-V12 input module which would theoretically give you a second VGA input.

Also, from looking at the list of supported resolutions, a 136x by 768 is not a valid/supported resolution. It looks like 1280 by 768 is what you would go for if you can't get it to do 1280 by 720. While it doesn't appear to be a 1080p display it does appear to do 1080/24 which is rather interesting. However, you should get something from the other resolutions that you tried that are on the list. When you connect directly to the VGA, what resolution does the mini set up when it's working right?

Just to be sure I'm following correctly,

mini DVI-VGA to the Sony VGA - works. So, the mini's video out works, the DVI to VGA adapter works, and the Sony's VGA works.

Any(other than the mini) DVI device to the Sony DVI - works. So the DVI on the Sony works.

mini DVI to Sony DVI results in "No Sync" which indicates(as per the Sony manual) that the Sony doesn't see any signal. As opposed to "Out of Range" which is a signal that is beyond what the Sony will support.

Right now I'm at a loss as to what might be going on. If I might ask, do you have another DVI based display that you can test the DVI cable with? Incase it's a bad DVI cable...

Just to note, sometimes receivers will mess up the sync signal which will confuse the computer a bit more. However, I'm thinking that even then the mini should put out the base 800 by 600 signal.

SC

Make sure it has pins!
liamfm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good stuff there.

I have tested multiple cables, and put it to a little acer monitor I have. Both work fine. I even went out and bought a DVI-D Dual Link cable (has the center set of pins). No luck. Dvi-i is not accepted on my TV, so I can't try that. So that's 2 DVD-D cables, and a DVI-D Dual Link. None work on the Sony display. all work on the little acer.

You are correct in how you think I'm setting it up.

When it's VGA-VGA it displays at the following resolution:
1280x768

It will also get the monitor to go to the following:
640x480
800x600
1024x768
1280x960
1280x1024

You state that "any other DVI device works". This is not true. I can't get my powerbook G4 to display via DVI either. I can however get my dvd player to work through my HDMI-DVI cable, so I know the port works... Just not with an apple. With my powerbook it doesn't even recognize that an external monitor is connected. This is where I think the problem is.

Thanks again!
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes it more interesting!

SC

Make sure it has pins!
liamfm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Confused Sad

It sure does

Monday is right around the corner - maybe the Sony tech will know something. Apparently he is an expert in both Macs and professional displays.

If not I might have to try some way to get in touch with applecare or something.
Fred76

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried hooking up another display first, setting the resolution manually to 720p and then connecting the Sony TV?

I remember having a similar problem with my hdmi receiver, which only accepts standard resolutions (not e.g. 1360x768). Despite the fact that my receiver's EDID doesn't advertise this resolution the Mac Mini was using it anyway during install.

Good luck
Denon AVR-3312 with Airplay
liamfm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred, I hooked it up to my acer p191 today and forced 1024x768 and then put it back on the sony. Still nothing.

Damn this is painful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: