123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.6.6 with Mac App Store
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.6.6 with Mac App Store Reply with quote

Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.6.6 with Mac App Store
Thursday, January 6, 2011
Posted by: Glenn

Apple today announced that the Mac App Store is now open for business with more than 1,000 free and paid apps. According to the company, the Mac App Store brings the revolutionary App Store experience to the Mac, so you can find great new apps, buy them using your iTunes account, download and install them in just one step. It's available for Snow Leopard users through Software Update as part of the new Mac OS X 10.6.6 Update.

"With more than 1,000 apps, the Mac App Store is off to a great start," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "We think users are going to love this innovative new way to discover and buy their favorite apps."

The Mac App Store offers apps in Education, Games, Graphics & Design, Lifestyle, Productivity, Utilities and other categories. Users can browse new and noteworthy apps, find out what's hot, see staff favorites, search categories and look up top charts for paid and free apps, as well as user ratings and reviews.

Entirely new apps, as well as current Mac favorites, are available from developers such as Autodesk, Ancestry.com and Boinx. iPhoto, iMovie and GarageBand apps from Apple's popular iLife '11 suite are available individually in the Mac App Store for $14.99 each, and Pages, Keynote and Numbers apps from iWork are available for $19.99 each. Aperture 3, Apple's powerful photo editing and management software, is available for $79.99.

More information about the Mac OS X 10.6.6 Update can be found here. It includes a few improvements, beyond the Mac App Store, that you might want to read about.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1571.html
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to check things out when I get home from work. I really like the idea of having a store like this for the Mac. I also think it's cool having the iLife and iWork apps up for sale on an individual basis. iPhoto and Pages are about the only ones I use these days.
iLife's a Bitch!
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that impressed to be honest.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just like the general idea of having an app store like the iPhone. I think in time this will really take off. I can't wait to grab the new Pages when it comes out either. Apple just EOL'd their boxed software in my book.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO This "App Store" is nothing more than a Spyware by definition. As soon as this is launched it is data mining and sending info back to Apple. Little Snitch and a few other apps confirm this.
adv2k169

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
IMHO This "App Store" is nothing more than a Spyware by definition. As soon as this is launched it is data mining and sending info back to Apple. Little Snitch and a few other apps confirm this.

you old farts care too much about 'privacy'. If you want privacy go live in a cave.

Anyway I'm loving this ap store. I got the Constitution, Declaration of Independence, Scetchbook program , Tennis webcam game, and more
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adv2k169 wrote:
TonyMontana wrote:

you old farts care too much about 'privacy'. If you want privacy go live in a cave.

Anyway I'm loving this ap store. I got the Constitution, Declaration of Independence, Scetchbook program , Tennis webcam game, and more

Usually when I want privacy I shut the bathroom door!

Well after a bout of expensive identity theft, I take data mining, background processes, and outgoing connections very seriously now. I stopped buying apps for my iPhone that were doing extensive analytic gathering. It's nobody's business as to which apps and music I own. If wanted all my info to be gathered I'd run an unprotected Windows system instead. Razz Razz
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the store, but they should have just built this into iTunes. JHMO

As far as privacy concerns, it's no surprise. What major company doesn't collect data these days? Just keep my credit card information safe. That's all I really care about these days.
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Mac App Store. I do have a question though. Can you prevent apps from automatically showing up in the Dock? I would rather them just stay in my Applications folder.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good time to buy Aperture 3. I paid a lot more Steve. Sad
fiat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelSpinners wrote:
I like the Mac App Store. I do have a question though. Can you prevent apps from automatically showing up in the Dock? I would rather them just stay in my Applications folder.

Easy. Right click the icon in dock; select "options"; select "show in finder"; select "remove from dock".
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiat wrote:
WheelSpinners wrote:

Easy. Right click the icon in dock; select "options"; select "show in finder"; select "remove from dock".

Or just "poof" it right off the dock. Still in the folder.
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big thumbs up for me! I've already found a couple cool apps that I didn't know about. Now, I just hope it stays clear of fart apps in the future. Wink
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the store so far. There's so much software I had no clue existed, Aperture 3 is only $79.99, and if you have multiple Mac's it's possible to download the software on each system as long as you log in with the same credentials.
zedtvl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:

I agree...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: