123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using MacOS X based Mac mini as DVR?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tamarok

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Using MacOS X based Mac mini as DVR? Reply with quote

I am looking into the possibility of using a MacOS X based Mac mini as DVR. Ideally it would support the output from my cable box (using Videotron in QC, Canada) and possibility OTA digital signal. Is there anything that would allow an HDMI input to the Mac mini?

Does anyone know what options are on offer?

BTW I am using Plex as my HTPC front-end so something that can me made to integrate with that would be handy.
tamarok

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just been told of the Elgato hybrid, which I can use with the composite video output of the digital cable receiver. The only issue I see here is the EyeTV software which seems to make integrating into Plex a little complicated. It would be cool if there was some open source software for talking with the Elgato hybrid, that could be used by Plex.

I have seen an HDMI to Firewire conversion unit (Canopus ADVC-HD50), but the lack of HDCP support I assume would probably make it useless in this scenario, though I am not sure what devices insist on outputting HDCP based HDMI signals.
Tilpots

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you want the Hybrid for connecting to your cable box. The Hybrid is more for ATSC Over-the-Air signals and QAM from a cable line. I believe what you're looking for is the EyeTV HD http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/EyeTV-HD/product1.en.html

And integration between Plex and EyeTV should definelty be better, but it's all we got right now...
o_mega05

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to use it to record HD, then HDMI will not work. Your best bet is either the Elgato EyeTV HD or Hauppauge HDPVR. In order to capture the "HD" content from your STB it will have to connect via component cables.

I have the HDPVR and love it. The only downside is that I had to buy the EyeTV software and IR blaster separately. The EyeTV HD comes with the software and IR Blaster so if you're okay without Optical Audio, then the EyeTV HD is perfect.

As for OTAs, both will not work. You'll have to get a separate tuner for that. And for integrating it with PLEX, you just need to add the EyeTV App in PLEX and access it from Applications.

-O
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: