123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Considering Mac Mini please help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmooreimages

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:01 am    Post subject: Considering Mac Mini please help Reply with quote

Hi All,

Ive been looking around at what apple have to offer and I think that the mac mini might just fit my needs.

I currently work for a design company and will be moving between my home Sweden and our offices in england every few months and would need to take my computer with me, As there is no way I can afford a decent mac book pro (my bugget is about £1000 GBP) the mac mini seems like it could be the best option.

I was just wondering what others thought of this idea and to answear a couple of questions

Q1. Will the mac mini work with a standard PC monitor?
Q2. Im not to good with PC specs so any idea how it would handly photoshop, indesign and illistrator possibly running all at once?
Q3. Is the apple store the cheepest place to buy a mac mini in the UK?
Q4. How is the mac mini with long heavy work loads? doesnt seem to be much space for fans in that tiny box.
Q5. anything else you can suggest or recomend?

Thanks in advance everyone!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to 123macmini, pmooreimages. I can answer some of your questions:

The mini does connect to standard PC monitors, but you may need to buy an HDMI to VGA cable if the monitor doesn't have DVI or HDMI connector. The new mini has pretty much the same specs as a 13" macbook pro, including video card, so if the former would work for your graphics apps, the mini should also.

The mini does have a fan, and you should be able to work with it continuously.

I do think you would be better off with a laptop than a mini for mobility. You might want to consider buying a refurb macbook pro through the Apple Store. I believe it should fit within your budget.
pmooreimages

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Fox and thanks for your help.

Im honestly not to worried about mobility, the only places I will be using it are at work or at home where I will have a monitor ect waiting at each, I will probably only even take it to work every couple of months. My main conserns are getting the most power for my money with the option to to take it between countrys every so often. Unless you can think of any other problems traveling could course?

I was also having a look at the upgrades for it..I know apple would say using 3rd party ram to upgrade would be a the end of the world but they are charging £400 GBP for the 8gb of ram when i could get kingston ram made for the same machine for £130 GBP, I could even go with a lesser known brand for £70 but thought getting a well known brand such as Kingston would prob be best. Does anyone know of any problems this could bring up? (if i need services or anything i figured i could just put back in the basic 2gb of ram before taking it in)

As before all other help or advice is more than welcome Smile
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't buy apple ram it is a complete waste of money as it is samsung or hynix ram in the first place. Apple does not make ram. They just stick a label on it. Normally kingston is good but in 2010 mac minis kingston has been spotty I have used samsung and hynix with great success. here is a amazon UK link for you:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/memory-DDR3-8500-1066MHz-SODIMM-laptops/dp/B004F1RWLK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1293569572&sr=8-2

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmooreimages wrote:
...Im honestly not to worried about mobility, the only places I will be using it are at work or at home where I will have a monitor ect waiting at each, I will probably only even take it to work every couple of months. My main conserns are getting the most power for my money with the option to to take it between countrys every so often. Unless you can think of any other problems traveling could course?....

The mini should be good for that kind of travelling, and I believe that someone makes a travelling case for it. I agree with Phillip that there's no reason whatsoever for buying RAM from Apple when you can get third party RAM for a lot less money. Upgrading RAM is a no-brainer in the new mini.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.casesbypelican.com/apple-mac-mini-1450.htm

pelican cases are really good

waterproof shock proof 130 usd

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
pmooreimages

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all of your help guys, It really is appriciated.

I will most certainly buy the ram you pointed out philiparcario though for a case i think the ones you linked to are a little to pricy for me, I think I can probably find somthing though a scuba diving store that should be just as good and hopfully cheeper.

Out of interest i have read alot about the 2010 model being a filler update and that the 2011 model is going to be a lot better...does anyone happen to know any more about it or when its being released?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: