123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini Accessory of the Year
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Mac Mini Accessory of the Year Reply with quote

Mac Mini Accessory of the Year
Tuesday December 20, 2005

The NewerTech miniStack has been chosen as our Mac mini accessory of the year. Other finalists included the LaCie mini, Belkin Hub for Mac mini, Pressure Drop zStand, and Plasticsmith miniTower. There are several features that make the miniStack stand out from the crowd, including price, quality, functionality, and performance. We also appreciate the number of different configurations offered, software bundle, and two-year warranty. "NewerTech has always put quality and functionality first," said Larry O'Connor, founder of NewerTech. "We are pleased to find this separated the NewerTech miniStack to be above the rest."

The miniStack also won a recent poll in our forums. We asked our members what they thought was the best accessory for the Mac mini released this year. The miniStack won the poll with 57% of the votes. The LaCie mini came in second with 23%, followed by the Belkin Hub for Mac mini with 16%, and Pressure Drop zStand with 2%.

We look forward to seeing what new Mac mini accessories will be released in 2006. From what we hear, there are going to be a few interesting ones!

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/411.html

Last edited by admin on Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:59 pm; edited 6 times in total
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2006 should be a very interesting interesting year for the mini. If a model aimed at the living room comes out, we may see 1000's of new accessories (similar to the iPod craze).
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
2006 should be a very interesting interesting year for the mini. If a model aimed at the living room comes out, we may see 1000's of new accessories (similar to the iPod craze).

I don't know about 1000's, but external drives that match the Mac mini may become more popular. You are going to want something that looks good sitting next to the Mac mini and provides extra space for storing TV shows, movies, pictures and music. You'll also want something that has a front USB port or two so you don't have pull the Mac mini out of your TV stand every time you need to plug in a device, if the next Mac mini doesn't include one itself.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say 100's, but then I wouldn't have been able to use the iPod as a comparison Smile .

I'm very surprised that Apple never bought TiVo . TiVo was smart to move towards iPod support.

This certainly was not the year of HD like Steve Jobs had anticipated. Hopefully 2006 really rocks.

This is getting fun!!!

Now back to the topic of accessory of the year...

Last edited by Bandit Bill on Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree that the miniStack was the best accessory of the year. I have been happy with mine so far. Knock on plastic! Laughing
resuna

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac Mini Accessory of the Year Reply with quote

admin wrote:
The NewerTech miniStack has been chosen as our Mac mini accessory of the year. Other finalists included the LaCie mini, Belkin Hub for Mac mini, Pressure Drop zStand, and Plasticsmith miniTower.
that last one's a joke, right? You're trying to see if we're awake? Accessory of the year? The miniTower? Funny guy...
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as stands go. I think it is by far the most appealing. There is quite a bit of competition in the after market stands.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the 160GB LaCie mini a few weeks ago, and couldn't be happier with it. I was going to buy the miniStack, but changed my mind at the last moment after seeing it in person at the Apple Store. The LaCie mini only has two bad things going for it. The power button doesn't feel very solid, and it only has one pass-through firewire port. Other than those two things, it's nearly perfect. I was also a little hesitant of the big LaCie logo on the front before seeing it. I must say in person it looks great. Pictures don't do it justice. You still need to check this one out.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquaman wrote:
The power button doesn't feel very solid,

Do you have to use the power button very often, or does the drive power up/down with the mini?
What happens to the drive when the mini goes to sleep?
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
aquaman wrote:
The power button doesn't feel very solid,

Do you have to use the power button very often, or does the drive power up/down with the mini?
What happens to the drive when the mini goes to sleep?

I cloned my drive with SuperDuper, and played around with it as a boot drive for a few days. I stopped using it as a boot drive and reformatted it. I mostly use it for storing photos and MTR rips now. I take tons and tons of pictures, it's sort of a hobby of mine.

When I was using it as a boot drive it would not power up and down with the mini. I had to turn off the LaCie's power button, and turn it on before turning on the Mac mini or it would boot to the Mac mini's internal drive.

The LaCie mini's drive spins down when the Mac mini goes to sleep. When the Mac mini wakes there can be a small delay before the LaCie mini wakes up. Maybe like 5 seconds or so.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquaman wrote:

The LaCie mini's drive spins down when the Mac mini goes to sleep. When the Mac mini wakes there can be a small delay before the LaCie mini wakes up. Maybe like 5 seconds or so.

That works for me. I never turn off my mini. I don't even let it sleep any more. It's quiet/efficient enough to keep on. I want to make sure it runs its routines.

Why didn't you keep the LaCie as the boot drive?
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

Why didn't you keep the LaCie as the boot drive?

I really needed more storage for my RAW photos. I'm also using the LaCie mini with my new (refurbished) 12" iBook. I had no plans to use it as a boot drive full time. It was more of a personal experiment to see how much better the Mac mini would perform with a faster hard drive.
castaway

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The miniStack, Lacie mini and Belkin hub were without a doubt the best. What do you guys think was the worst or stupidest? I think it was the Mac mini filter base. It doesn't seem very smart to block the Mac mini's bottom vents with a foam filter. I thought the stand looked cool though.

http://www.powersupportusa.com/products/macmini/mm21.php
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My worst/supidest vote goes to the Pressure Drop Z Stand.

It has to be the ugliest Mini Specific accessory EVER.
zen.state

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure love my mini stack for the performance boost it gives and the extra expansion. In the end though I think the mini looks better by itself with nothing under it. I have thought of strapping my ministack under my desk directly below the mini.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: