123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac App Store to Open on January 6th

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Mac App Store to Open on January 6th Reply with quote

Mac App Store to Open on January 6th
Thursday, December 16, 2010
Posted by: Glenn

Apple today announced that the Mac App Store will open for business on Thursday, January 6th. According to the company, the Mac App Store makes discovering, installing and updating Mac apps easier than ever. It will be available in 90 countries at launch and will feature paid and free apps in categories like Education, Games, Graphics & Design, Lifestyle, Productivity and Utilities.

"The App Store revolutionized mobile apps," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "We hope to do the same for PC apps with the Mac App Store by making finding and buying PC apps easy and fun. We can't wait to get started on January 6th."

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1564.html
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really excited to see this in action. If just so for the auto-updates.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I don't see the incentive for developers in this. Greater distribution? If i'm a developer of a leading class of software like Adobe products, why would i like to give Apple a cut? IMO the app store for the iOS has grown a bit stale for me. As strict as Apple is with the approval process there seems to be more and more "reincarnates" of the same types of mediocre apps.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm excited about this. Very cool, especially seeing I don't have an iPhone, or iPod Touch.

It will be nice to know that I can go to one place to get my apps. In the past I've relied on versiontracker. It will also be nice to know that the apps meet Apple standards, have been checked for viruses, security threats etc. I'm sure I will discover 100's of cool apps that I would have never know existed otherwise.

I think this is great. This should really kick start more Mac sales. People have complained for many years that Apple has lost it's focus as a "computer" company. This is a great step towards ensure the Mac doesn't get pushed to the wayside.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess having an iPhone I see it differently. It is nice to see apps in one place, but I have also seen the downsides of Apple denying perfectly good apps for their own political reasons. Google Voice app is a perfect example. The approval process can be a nightmare for developers, Apple often changes policy at will. Also with frequent upgrades to the iOS system the developer is forced to change his application.
Most Mac apps now work via 10.5-10.6.

Imagine as a developer having to rework your app every time Apple went from 10.6.0-10.6.1 for example. This is a regular thing in the iOS world.

I can understand Apple wanting to have the Mac App store stream lined, but they have limited developers to a no promo code, no trials or betas allowed system. So basically it will be a Buy then Try sort of setup.

I sure do enjoy free trials, I wouldn't purchase an app without trying it first personally. It's a tried and proven business model.

One thing is for sure, Apple hasn't failed at too many adventures the past few years, I'm sure it will be a great success.
adv2k169

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what kind of specs will be required?

i hope my 1.83 mac mini Intel Core 2 duo with 4 gig ram will be able to handle everything.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adv2k169 wrote:
what kind of specs will be required?

i hope my 1.83 mac mini Intel Core 2 duo with 4 gig ram will be able to handle everything.

Every app will be different, but I'm sure any C2D mac will be fine for 99% of the apps. I guess we will have to wait and see.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Bandit Bill. I think those specs with be okay for the application itself.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: