123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Error on MS DOS Formatted disk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Error on MS DOS Formatted disk Reply with quote

Hello all, I'm having some trouble with external disks. So far with any flashdrive or even with a normal full HDD if I format it in Disk Utility with MS DOS I get an error saying the operation can not be completed because of an unexpected error (Error Code 0). I have sued multiple different drives, different ports etc. but no change. These are perfectly fine when formatted in Mac OS Extended but I need them to be compatible with PC's as well as my Mini. Any help on why this is happening? Sad
32" LN32A450 LCD Samsung
Klipsch Cinema 6 Series
HTC Incredible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a workaround, rather than a solution, can you format them on a PC, and go from there? (Just NOT as NTFS!)
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's times like this when I really miss System 6.0.7. It had English error messages.

Anyway, are the drives bigger than 2 GBs? If so, then they need to be partitioned down to 2 GB sections. That is if OS X formats MS DOS as FAT16, if it does FAT32 then it should support larger partitions.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
saul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also make sure to select Master Boot Record under Options when creating the partition
Dalton63841

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big is the drive? OSX does not handle FAT32 for more than 127GB partitions.

What I did is install ntfs-3g on my Macs, so the Macs can read and write to ntfs partitions...and its free.

And yes as the person before me stated, make sure it is set to MBR and not GPT.
Squid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and the plot thickens..

Thanks for the replies guys, sadly they did not help. When I attempted to format one of the sticks 8gb with MS-DOS FAT32 the mac had the same problem. Also, the drives are not larger than 127, its 16GB and 8GB. Both were formatted with MSB and MS-DOS FAT32. The PC saw them fine, could read/write to it. I just can't transfer to them. Weirdly, I can create a folder inside the HD but can't transfer anything to it. Question
32" LN32A450 LCD Samsung
Klipsch Cinema 6 Series
HTC Incredible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats your problem right there.

Fat32 only goes to a max of 2 gig's anything larger then that it wont read

you need toast or dragon burn and you need to burn it to a cd

now there is a warning if you are trying to create backups of certain software for classic gaming rig.

be farwarned.

windows 95 on disk has one install disk that is a true 1.44 3 1/2 disk however every other disk after the install disk is a 2.44 3 1/2 disk so you will be in trouble if you try to copy it..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: