123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Intros New MacBook Air

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Apple Intros New MacBook Air Reply with quote

Apple Intros New MacBook Air
Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Posted by: Glenn

Apple today unveiled an all new MacBook Air, the first of a next generation of notebooks which will replace mechanical hard disks and optical drives with Internet services and solid state flash storage. Available in 11-inch and 13-inch models and weighing as little as 2.3 pounds, the new MacBook Air is Apple's lightest and most portable notebook ever. It uses the same solid state storage technology as iPad to deliver instant-on responsiveness, up to seven hours of battery life and up to 30 days of standby time. Starting at $999, the affordable MacBook Air defines the next generation of MacBooks.

"MacBook Air is the first of a new generation of notebooks that leaves behind mechanical rotating storage in favor of solid state flash storage," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "We've taken what we have learned with the iPad—solid state storage, instant-on, amazing battery standby time, miniaturization and lightweight construction, to create the new MacBook Air. With its amazing responsiveness and mobility, it will change the way we think about notebooks."

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1551.html
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Flash storage Reply with quote

I wonder if we'll see both flash storage and a hard drive in the next revision of the Mac mini? I'm thinking OS and applications on the flash and user data on the hard drive.
2nd gen. iPod shuffle (1 GiB)
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe it would follow logic to do so. with the new mini's height and a ssd built in a good cpu could be put in it.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine just told me they dropped the backlit keyboard from the new models. Sad to see useful features removed in the new models.

This reminds me of the buttons on the 3rd generation iPod shuffle. We all know how it turned out. Wink
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dropping back lite key board is just plain mean. nasty. why not just have an on off option in preferences?

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
A friend of mine just told me they dropped the backlit keyboard from the new models. Sad to see useful features removed in the new models.

This reminds me of the buttons on the 3rd generation iPod shuffle. We all know how it turned out. Wink

The 3rd gen iPod shuffle isn't so bad, just I have to use the Apple in-line remote headphones or get the Belkin adapter, I like the design for at the gym, otherwise I use my iPhone or iPod nano 4g.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
The 3rd gen iPod shuffle isn't so bad, just I have to use the Apple in-line remote headphones or get the Belkin adapter, I like the design for at the gym, otherwise I use my iPhone or iPod nano 4g.

I was just pointing out that they brought back the buttons on the 4th generation shuffle because people asked for it. If there's enough complaints, maybe Apple will bring back the backlit keyboard on the next revision of the MacBook Air.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad but not good at all...

Here is why.

If you want to upgrade the flash storage to a much larger storage solution the flash memory unit that apple decided to use is the same that is in the asus eeepc series of netbooks now you wonder why i bring up a ibm in a mac site the flash memory unit to upgrade this netbook is 400.00 for 64gb so if apple thinks people are going to upgrade the machine for 1200 or better they got another thing comming this is what sucks about using this type of storage it is expensive very so i dont see this laptop lasting very long not due to the nice way it looks or the price of the unit but the price of parts will kill you alone.
Squid3660

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... no illuminated keyboard? No sale. Not for that price.

Have been using the MBPro for a few months now, and I can't live without the illuminated keyboard feature... it is not a luxury, it is necessity.

Apple always finds a way to screw up a good thing and yet promote their "updated" crippled products like manna from heaven.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: