123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plex and more running on my Jailbroken AppleTV(2g)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aargh-a-Knot
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Plex and more running on my Jailbroken AppleTV(2g) Reply with quote

Well, things have pretty quiet around here. Can't believe no one else has posted about this yet. Anyway....

Bought a new AppleTV and Jailbroke it. Right now, there are only a few apps ported to work on the new atv. I installed the most interesting ones, which include:

Plex - This is really early in development, but is still pretty cool. I can browse all of my Plex content, artwork and all. Right now only videos will actually play (no music or photos). The cool thing is that it allows playback of non-apple-sanctioned file formats. For example, I was able to play Toy Story 3 1080p mkv. Playback seems spotty... it might play the whole video, or only a few minutes and give an error. Also, it does not properly recognize the time of the video, therefore no fast-forward or rewind. Several of the plugins I tried work! (revision3, etc)

Groove - a simple Grooveshark client. Basically just a search box, but type in name of a band, song, or artist, and hundreds of results returned, album artwork and all. Playback is flawless. I recommend this only if you have an iDevice. Using the remote and the on-screen keyboard is tortuous! Artwork and controls show up in Apple Remote app. This plugin rocks! I typed in "thievery", pushed play, and had 200 Thievery Corporation tracks cued up.

NitoTV - adds weather and rss feeds. meh

Overflow - This allows you to reorganize the home screen into a separate folder. Things like Apple's "Movie" and "TV Show" rental that I'm likely to rarely use.

Mostly, this stuff is just an interesting glimpse of what we'll see. After all, the atv has only been jailbroken for a week or so.

Really glad I bought the AppleTV instead of the Boxee box...
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the picture quality with the Plex app? I've heard it transcodes everything before sending it too the Apple TV.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Micro USB cable coming in the post, but if I update my Apple TV so I can use Airplay will I still be able to jailbreak it?
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
MikeInJapan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be keeping an eye on this. If I can run plex on an Apple TV my Mini will go ing the bedroom and I will buy an Apple 27" CD instead of an iMac.
[walk-i-looky]iPad 3G 64Gb
OmegaRed1723

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true that the Plex app transcoder everything, even if it's already in an Apple-compatible format. The default version of ffmpthat the jailbreak app uses has mediocre resolution...maybe DVD quality (from a 7Mbps 720p source). There is an optional ffmpeg that can be used which dramatically improves playback quality, but a c2d machine doesn't have enough chutzpah and isn't up to the task. Many have reported that even their quad-core machines are struggling with the transcoding using the higher quality ffmpeg. At this point things are very rough around the edges, but the app shows promise.
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have Plex on my Apple Tv and it's much better than imagined. If only it didn't transcode every file and supported ff and rw!
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: