123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ADC to VGA adapter, instead ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug C

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: ADC to VGA adapter, instead ? Reply with quote

I need an adapter to hook up my older ADC Apple cinema display to my (DVI equipted) MINI but I've found an ADC to VGA adapter for alot cheaper. Can I plug in a DVI-VGA adapter from the MINI then the VGA-ADC adapter to the monitor. So two adapters in conjunction. thanks.
Doug C

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh two things that I forgot to mention... I already have the first adapter (DVI-VGA), and the VGA-ADC adapter is a powered unit that plugs into the wall to power the older apple ADC monitors (just like an ADC-DVI adapter would be).
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should work. But you'll be limited to just one display (I know you're hoping to use two displays).

(Sorry it's me again!) Smile
Doug C

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..sorry?? no, Im glad you stopped in to help out again, believe me. Yea, I guess for the double monitor thing I'll have to go with plan B, appleTV.

So you doubt two adapters in a row would cause a loss of picture quality then? I feel the same but for me it's just a guess as nobody ends up doing this sort of thing in normal situations. I guess I could try it and see, like I said it's a cheap solution and if it works then great. On the other hand though loosing picture quality for this monitor, which normally is high quality, would be defeating the purpose.
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture quality with those two convertors together will be limited to (analog) VGA quality - so not particularly good. For best picture quality from your mini, you really need a display with DVI input and then you won't need any adapters.

For maximum picture quality in your scenario (your mini and your Cinema Display), you really need that DVI-to-ADC converter you found (but without the cables cut off!) At least that would be a digital image all the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: