123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrading Hard drive. Any tips on dual OS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Upgrading Hard drive. Any tips on dual OS? Reply with quote

I have decided to upgrade my HD. So any suggestions or tips you have discovered in the reinstallation process on dual OS, please share.

I am very familiar with changing the hardware so that's not a problem (wish it was the new mini.....LOL)

I am running SL and W7 (32 bit) in bootcamp and want to keep that configuration.

Here's are my resources:

1) SL disc

2) W7 disc

3) 3.5 FW Lacie external ( I have a backup copy of SL, and a Windows 7 backup copy that was created from the W7 OS to the Lacie, so as you now that's not a bootable item.

4) A 2.5" USB enclosure.

5) Plenty of time to do this right.

6) An IQ greater than 58 and less than 60.

My initial thought was to work with the enclosure.
-Put the new drive in the USB enclosure, use the mini to format it HFS, send mini's SL to it. Then install the new drive in the mini
-Bootcamp it, install W7 from the disc and after that completely installs, update the W7 with the W7 copy that is on the 3.5" Lacie enclosure via FW.

Too many extra steps or not enough steps, or is there a better way? That's why I am posting this thread because, we at the macmini forum are geniuses, right?

Ideas?

Thank You in advance

*I am double posting this in both the Upgrade and the Alternate OS threads, so I apologize in advance.
EXT. HD:Lacie D2Quadra-1TB and WD Studio 2TB
Sometimes wish this mac would crash, or screw up or break, so I can get a newer one and upgrade my OS , but "Oh Well".
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That process sounds about right. It's most likely easier to deal with SL using CarbonCopyCloner, than anything that will work for W7.

And that's the tragedy. Having to reinstall W7. I was really surprised at what a pain in the backside installing Windows was, and still is. Of course you can then just import your user from the back up, which is pretty painless.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading Hard drive. Any tips on dual OS? Reply with quote

DonCarlos wrote:
I have an IQ greater than 58 and less than 60.
Your such a show off DC, stop bragging.

DC wrote:
*I am double posting this in both the Upgrade and the Alternate OS threads, so I apologize in advance.
What does double posting mean? Laughing
Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: