123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Holding "Back to Mac" Media Event...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Apple Holding "Back to Mac" Media Event... Reply with quote

Apple Holding "Back to Mac" Media Event on October 20th
Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 7:30 PM EST
Posted by: Glenn

Apple sent out invitations today for a special "Back to Mac" media event on October 20th. The event will take place on their campus at 10:00 a.m. It should also be noted that the invitations for the event feature a lion peeking out from behind the Apple logo, so one would assume they are going to demo their next-generation operating system dubbed Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1547.html
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would be cool if the new cat costed $29, but I kinda doubt it.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping for a new 64-bit iLife with maybe some new tie-ins to iOS.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping for an uninstall feature like App Zapper. Hopefully Lion is powerful enough. /s

Honestly, I've been happy with OS X over the past 5 years. I really don't know what more I could ask for.
Colstan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Holding "Back to Mac" Media Event... Reply with quote

I haven't been this interested in an Apple announcement since Leopard (10.5). The Mac division is the only part of Apple that I personally care about, so this is a welcome development. The iOS is fine for the folks who want those devices, but it's good to actually see the Mac get attention, particularly on the software side.

Colstan
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Colstan, it's refreshing to see that Apple have remembered that they have an OS that isn't iOS Razz

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not like the "Mac" division got ignored. I just think that the other devices take the limelight away from the Mac. When it was all we had, it was everyone's sole focus, so it got all the attention (kind of like an only child). There are still a lot of forums, sites, magazines, articles etc. that focus on the Mac alone. Of course for every one of these there now 50 iPod, iPhone, iPad equivalents.
Colstan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
It's not like the "Mac" division got ignored. I just think that the other devices take the limelight away from the Mac. When it was all we had, it was everyone's sole focus, so it got all the attention (kind of like an only child). There are still a lot of forums, sites, magazines, articles etc. that focus on the Mac alone. Of course for every one of these there now 50 iPod, iPhone, iPad equivalents.

I think the Mac division has been repeatedly sidelined by the priority given to the iToys. Leopard was delayed because resources were diverted to the iPhone. This has apparently happened to Lion (according to John Gruber), since it was likely going to be demoed at the WWDC, but instead we had to wait until this October. When Mark Papermaster, the guy who headed up iPhone development, got booted from Apple they replaced him with Bob Mansfield who was transferred from the Mac hardware business to take his place.

I don't think that the Mac is going to go away, but I think it's obvious that the iToys are Apple's priority. The Mac is doing quite well, but as a business concern, it's no longer as important as it once was.

Colstan
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colstan wrote:
I think the Mac division has been repeatedly sidelined by the priority given to the iToys.

No doubt. Apple only has a finite amount of resources. Sometimes you need to prioritize your resources.

Apple "iToys" make Apple stronger as a whole. There has been more development for the Mac due to the halo effect and funding these "iToys" have brought.

Without the intro of the iPod etc. who knows where Apple would be today, but they certainly wouldn't be where they are at.

This isn't directed at you directly Colstan, you're not the first person to complain about OSX and Mac computers taking a back seat to the consumer devices. However, I feel we as Mac users have very little to complain about. Every product in every category is above or beyond what most other companies offer in the same price point. Focus on the good things that we already have and use them to their full potential.

I will ask you this Colstan, what is it that OS X is lacking? If you feel you need more, please be specific. Please explain how you are not able to meet these needs given today's offerings. Then please explain why this should take priority over everything else Apple is doing.

What I find is the early adopters aren't the people who heavily rely on their computers. Most of those people work with what is available, get things working and are slow to integrate change. These are the customers with the real money. These are the people Apple needs to cater to and when implementing change they need to be careful not to introduce new issues.

Coming out with a new iPod every 6 months isn't going to throw a companies network for a loop, but a new OS may. Personally I'd rather see slow steady, reliable development in this area. If Apple sells a few million consumer devices to fund the R&D for the Mac hardware and OS, so be it.
Colstan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, thank you for your response. Let me address your issues:

Bandit Bill wrote:
No doubt. Apple only has a finite amount of resources. Sometimes you need to prioritize your resources.

Apple is the second most valuable company in the world and has $40 billion in the bank. They shouldn't be acting like a startup and having their engineers hopping between projects. Yes, there are only so many engineers at Apple that can work on any given product, but they should have begun hiring quality talent many years ago so that they would have the ability to do multiple things at once. Google and Microsoft are able to juggle many projects, so should Apple.

Bandit Bill wrote:
Apple "iToys" make Apple stronger as a whole. There has been more development for the Mac due to the halo effect and funding these "iToys" have brought.

Yes, the iDevices (is that a better term?) have made Apple stronger as a whole. The halo affect is real. I'm not disputing that.

Bandit Bill wrote:
Without the intro of the iPod etc. who knows where Apple would be today, but they certainly wouldn't be where they are at.

What if Apple had bought Be Inc. instead of NeXT? Would we be running a non-UNIX system on our Macintosh PowerPC G6 systems? Who knows.

Bandit Bill wrote:
However, I feel we as Mac users have very little to complain about.

I agree. I do have very little to complain about. I like my Mac mini with OS X and have no interest in changing operating systems anytime soon. That doesn't mean I'm not going to be critical about the way Apple does certain things.

Bandit Bill wrote:
I will ask you this Colstan, what is it that OS X is lacking?

OpenGL 4.0+
Full ASLR-implementation
TRIM Enabled
Expanded CODEC Support
AMD IGPs

Bandit Bill wrote:
Then please explain why this should take precedent over everything else Apple is doing.

The Mac shouldn't take precedent over everything else Apple is doing. Apple's primary responsibility is to its shareholders. They should put the majority of their efforts and resources into the iPad and iPhone. If the Mac has to take a backseat to that on occasion, then that's exactly what they should do.

...and that's where the rub is. I look at the effort that Apple is putting into the iDevices and it makes me wonder what they could be doing with OS X, instead. So, I'm rather disgruntled every time I see a Mac site with nothing but stories about the latest iDevice that Uncle Steve is showing off.

It makes perfect sense that Apple diverts resources from the Mac to the iDevices. I would have rather have had Lion released this year, rather than next year. The iDevices take precedent, I don't like that, but I understand it.

Colstan
snolan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: New MacBook Air with lock port, option for more ram please Reply with quote

My original MacBook Air is getting beginning to feel limited with only 2GB memory and no Kensington-style lock port...

I'd love to see a new Mac Book Air model with:
- slightly smaller screen
- optional huge SSD drive (320GB or 500GB) - I'll pay
- option to go to 4GB or even 6GB memory - I'll pay
- a kensington style lock port, damn it... this is critical and not optional
- I'd be willing to pay to bring back Firewire as well
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
chillvisio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omg, first locked Mac is coming very very soon Smile After watching today's keynote, I start thinking that Apple is not fat away from locking the Mac just like the good old iPhone. Not a good start for the Mac user.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New MacBook Air with lock port, option for more ram plea Reply with quote

snolan wrote:
My original MacBook Air is getting beginning to feel limited with only 2GB memory and no Kensington-style lock port...

I'd love to see a new Mac Book Air model with:
- slightly smaller screen
- optional huge SSD drive (320GB or 500GB) - I'll pay
- option to go to 4GB or even 6GB memory - I'll pay
- a kensington style lock port, damn it... this is critical and not optional
- I'd be willing to pay to bring back Firewire as well

well you need get the same size screen to get a 256gb. and the 256gb is frozen into the machine.

4gb ram yes.

a 2.13ghz option for a cpu should be more.

1800 bucks and no lock.

IMO this is another f u from apple and it is also anti women and anti handicapped.

I spend 1800 and they steal it oh well.

I am a women and a heavy laptop does not cut it for me oh well.

I am slightly paralyzed or I have CP oh well.

Look plenty of people can't lug a heavy laptop around.

Air book is ideal for small people ie average women. I know plenty of women can carry a 17 inch macbook pro. So I am including any smaller less strong person. My 30 year long friend has CP he uses a laptop because the airbook is not good enough.

The worst problem is the memory is flash so the machine will die and ssd is not inside to be replaced. This is very frustrating to me and my wife. She is not a very powerful person and wants a lite weight machine. Won't be the mac. 1800 and no lock please!

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is ilife '11 64 bit?
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iLife should be 64bit

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: