123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

who has the new apple tv?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: who has the new apple tv? Reply with quote

My question to the forum is do you have one? My follow up is if you do can you use it in room a to play from your mini in room b. I have one tv without a computer i can get cat 5 to it and put in an apple tv if I do could this atv play from my mini's eyetv recordings.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in this as well for a similar reason.

My ideal outcome would be for the apple TV to be capable of running the Plex app allowing the AppleTV to connect to my Plex Media Server Cool
I'd have one in every room if that were possible Smile

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am poking around a few forums.

If i can do this. I can sell off one mac mini if not I will need that mini to run the last nonlinked tv. Big price difference 100 vs 700.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd no longer need my Mac Mini as a HTPC thats for sure and I know my kids would very quickly find an Apple TV appearing in each of their christmas stockings Laughing

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
OmegaRed1723

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked one up -- an impulse purchase at $99. I don't have any real use for it at the moment, as I run Plex on a unibody mini and the vast majority of my media is in .mkv format. Yet the idea of running a Plex client, or even being able to stream transcoded material via AirPlay, intrigues me.

The Plex developers have said in no uncertain terms they will not develop an app for the ATV2 unless Apple releases an SDK for the device. That eliminates the possibility of a Plex port in the near future. My gut feeling is that we won't see any kind of ATV app store for at least a year. And AirPlay video streaming only works from iOS device to iOS device, so you'll need an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch in order for that to work when it's released in November.

The bright side is that it's a very nice Netflix box, which is what I'm using it for now in a secondary room. But unless the jailbreak crew whips up some magic, I don't see it being a viable Mac mini alternative.
pmcd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OmegaRed1723 wrote:
I picked one up -- an impulse purchase at $99. I don't have any real use for it at the moment, as I run Plex on a unibody mini and the vast majority of my media is in .mkv format.

It takes one minute to change an mkv container into an mp4 one. Assuming you have h.264 video in the mkv container there is no transcoding involved, except possibly the generation of aac audio.

philip
pmcd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: who has the new apple tv? Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
My question to the forum is do you have one? My follow up is if you do can you use it in room a to play from your mini in room b. I have one tv without a computer i can get cat 5 to it and put in an apple tv if I do could this atv play from my mini's eyetv recordings.

I have 2, a mid 2010 mini and an ATV (1st G). You can use it very easily to play from your Mini. I do this all the time both wireless and wired. You don't need wired, though it's probably more reliable.

I have an ElGato EyeTV HD system. I save the recordings using the iPad setting. This setting allows me to play the files via AirPlay on my iPad and to the ATV's via iTunes. The EyeTV files live on a WHS and/or a DroboFS. iTunes on the Mac Mini pulls it from these over gigabit ethernet and then serves it out to the iDevices. It's great. One could use a higher setting with the EyeTV and still have the iPad and ATV play the files ( they both will play your standard h.264 files at virtually any setting in 720p). The disadvantage there is the files are way bigger.

philip
orionjett

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems likely that the new AppleTV will have at least this level of functionality. I have one on order and confirm when it arrives.
OmegaRed1723

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmcd wrote:

It takes one minute to change an mkv container into an mp4 one. Assuming you have h.264 video in the mkv container there is no transcoding involved, except possibly the generation of aac audio.
philip

Thanks -- I do use MKVtools to convert an episode to mp4 if I really want to watch something in that room.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just retired my old Apple TV (a product I was never really happy with, and had one die on me) for the new one. Airplay and Netflix were the major selling points for me. It's cool being able to sit back and play stuff from your iPhone and iPad. I still think Apple should have enabled Airplay for the older Apple TV, but what are you going to do.
iLife's a Bitch!
Ranter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also replaced a first generation AppleTV with one of the newer ones. I really like the Netflix player in the new AppleTV, and I also like that I can stream content from iTunes on another Mac on our LAN.

I had jail broken the old AppleTV in order to be able to use XBMC, and I have a USB stick all set up to jail break the new one too but I don't think I will bother.

I think the AppleTV is priced right at $99. I also have a Roku player that I bought the day that Amazon announced their free videos option for Prime members, it is nice but it does not have the refined elegance of the AppleTV. I do like that I can use the Roku player to access international news sources and often use it for that.

Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them.
Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranter wrote:
I think the AppleTV is priced right at $99. I also have a Roku player that I bought the day that Amazon announced their free videos option for Prime members, it is nice but it does not have the refined elegance of the AppleTV. I do like that I can use the Roku player to access international news sources and often use it for that.

Wow, I was just looking into getting a Roku for the same reason. I've actully read some comparions between the two devices. The Roku normally wins out.

Still loving the newer Apple TV 2 though. I have three words.. Airplay, Airplay, Airplay...
iLife's a Bitch!
Ranter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:

Wow, I was just looking into getting a Roku for the same reason. I've actully read some comparions between the two devices. The Roku normally wins out.

Still loving the newer Apple TV 2 though. I have three words.. Airplay, Airplay, Airplay...

The Roku offers far more options for things to watch, but most of it what is available through the Roku right now is fairly low resolution stuff, or at least what I use it for.

The AppleTV has the typical elegant, well thought out design that most Apple products feature, and it is more reliable than the Roku.

I have many HDMI devices so the AppleTV and Roku player are on an HDMI switch. Sometimes the Roku player displays a Green Screen of Death when you select it again if you have switched the TV away to use something else.

I plan to keep both. My Mac mini should arrive tomorrow.

Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them.
Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
Ashleywest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking forward to buy it soon. Laughing
MrMini

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon just came out with a player too: Amazon Fire TV. I have both the Apple TV and Roku. I like the Roku better, it has a lot more programs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: