123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IPOD TOUCH 4th generation (2010)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundzen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:46 am    Post subject: IPOD TOUCH 4th generation (2010) Reply with quote

allow me to create a topic for the latest ipod touch since i didnt see one in this section (only 3rd gen) because im getting one next week and have some questions and need tips to Wink

i welcome all new owners of this nice little mp3 player which is very similar to the iphone 4 apart from voice calling and huge price gap Rolling Eyes
soundzen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would like to read books on the ipod so ive downloaded the pdf app + the ebooks apple app not knowing which app the ebook will need to open...

Q: what is ebook´s extensions recognized?
soundzen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i beleive the latest ipod has a speaker incorporated so i dont have to buy speakers and plug then trough the 3.5 jack to listen music without earbuds...

Q: when charging, can i still listen to music?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundzen wrote:
i would like to read books on the ipod so ive downloaded the pdf app + the ebooks apple app not knowing which app the ebook will need to open...

Q: what is ebook´s extensions recognized?

Have a look at a desktop app called Calibre. http://calibre-ebook.com/ Its not the prettiest app in the world but it will catalog your ebooks and allow you to convert them to various formats.

another ebook converter worth a look at is Sigil http://code.google.com/p/sigil/

for ebooks I try to stick to using ePub format

On the iPod Touch / iPad I use iBooks and Stanza to read books with.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundzen wrote:
i beleive the latest ipod has a speaker incorporated so i dont have to buy speakers and plug then trough the 3.5 jack to listen music without earbuds...

Q: when charging, can i still listen to music?

Yes in theory, but I have an older iPod Touch and I'd still grab those speakers. I'm not sure how the new one is by comparison but I find the speaker quality is far from the best and the sound volume is pretty low, its no good at all if your in an even slightly noisy environment. Its ok for casual listening in a quiet room but if you want your music, podcasts, audiobooks etc at a decent level then you probably still need those speakers.

soundzen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx cypher,

actualy i dont need good speakers - i just want to make people ear the track a bit without sharing/pulling on the earbuds - i dont want put an ambience in the room with a loud&clear sound, hifi style...

Q: about apps, then the ebook on ipod reads EPUB extension only? do i need a PDF reader also?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will read other formats as well, I just use calibre to convert to ePub

Stanza on iTunes App Store

iBook app on iTunes App Store

soundzen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about acessories, since the ipod touch 4g comes with the usb charging cable but no plastic slim dock, which base stand do you recommend to allow my ipod verticaly (^) but specialy in horizontal (<>) to watch movies upon my desk?

Q: im looking for a dock that allows earbuds, charging and (^ + <>) standing position without fuzz... just a "slide in&out / drop it there" solution for my naked ipod (getting a protective skinz stickers on it to allow the engraving to be read) up to 30euros?

PS: im really impressed with the "simple, cheap and effective" BREFFO spider podium kit which only needs setting up once at beginning.
theGimpiest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my ipod touch 4G. The camera could be better, but not a deal-breaker for me. There's a free app called proshots for better image stabilization. Also, make free calls over wifi with Whistle and send/receive free texts with Textfree. iBooks is a great PDF reader - the best I've tried. The kindle app works just fine also. I don't do ebooks, but I'm assuming the kindle app will do what you want. Yes, you can listen to music while charging but not while syncing.
soundzen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx gimpiest,

the cam is weak VGA with a low MP indeed, that even my basic nokia can do better Laughing

since the videos resolution are better, we can always make a movie and freeze/save the wanted frame/picture Wink

thanks for the apps input, im going to download WHISTLE and TEXTFREE hoping its cheap and nor US bound since im abroad (service contract) Question

as for synch i only do that at home where my itunes library is because if i do it at the office, the itunes will say its not similar and wants to erase my ipod contents Evil or Very Mad
soundzen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: acessories!!! Reply with quote

my ipod is only due next week if lucky but i already both this acessories to complement/replace the ipod contents:

GELASKINS PERSONALIZED
http://www.thebluegrassspecial.com/archive/2008/december2008/imagesdecember2008/sinatraCapitol.jpg

BREFFO WHITE STAND
http://www.mobiletor.com/img/breffo-iphone-dock.jpg

TUFFWRAP SILICONE (to loose for 4G)
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/74/97/20/01/0074972001561_215X215.jpg

SONY WHITE EARBUDS
http://www.sonyinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/20080818121126_00011.jpg
soundzen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: ipod apps (parte 1) Reply with quote

heres the latest 100 apps ive downloaded (some payed for) to install on my ipod... i believe some will be erased in the long run - still, i have other apps to search for over at apple store:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/genre/mobile-software-applications/id6018?mt=8

APPS 1

APPS 2

soundzen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

text free doesnt work outside USA as i feared... it wont let me download it from my portuguese account Sad i do got the whistle for ipod but im afraid thats another one restricted to americans, lucky you Wink
soundzen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the latest ipod touch 4G has the same "capturing signal" problems that the iphone 4 since the OS is similar???

i know the ipod doesnt do calls but the problem about the "antenna" could be similar on the ipod while working with wi-fi, right???
soundzen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did anyone managed to pair ipod with pc or mac? i was told the bluetooth function only works with headsets and wireless speakers... it is not (even iphone) for file transfer or pairing with radios or cellphones! that is a pain in the neck... bluetooth was my perfect solution to play my itunes on the car radio trough ipod touch Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPods All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: