123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

convert pdf to doc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: convert pdf to doc Reply with quote

Hi,

Thought this is remotely possible, but make a try doesn't hurt, right?

Recently I had a need to review several important e-documents, e.g., old contract, legal paper, etc. Some of them are pdf files in a format that was made by scanning from original text file into an image file, then converted into pdf. Is there a software (prefer freeware or openware) that can convert such pdf file back to doc or txt file?

Thanks
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open Office is what you need. The OSX Preview app has many options as well. Open the file in preview and choose "save as" for many different options.

http://www.openoffice.org/
fiat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony,

I use Preview and NeoOffice to open and try to "save as" and "export". No doc or other txt format is given for conversion. Only image formats are given, which are not for my need. Thanks though.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He did mention OpenOffice, not NeoOffice. Perhaps that's the issue. I tried it too with NeoOffice and Preview and got the same results.

Obviously some sort of Optical Character Recognition (OCR) must take place.
Going the other way is easy, taking text and making a PDF.
fiat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

As you mentioned: "Going the other way is easy, taking text and making a PDF", there is the purpose and reason for this. Basically, converting a specific text file into a pdf is for the purpose of general, open reading or viewing of the message, not "editing" of the message; hence the inverse conversion: from pdf to text format, is for the purpose of "editing" the message., which I thought was remotely possible and deserved little attention from software developer due to the small-demand nature. But could there be some commercial software or even shareware for this? I would like to know if really no free/openware available. Thanks
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this?

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/access_onlinetools.html

If not, then maybe Acrobat Pro?
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humm...
Now that i think about this, you took text and turned it into an image file, then saved it as PDF. Basically you are trying to pull text out of an image, (even though it is now a pdf) not that easy. If it went originally text>pdf it would be easier.
fiat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony,

It's true that you go easy from text - image - pdf, but then go back from pdf to text would be difficult. However, I tried even to export a doc file into a pdf (easily done w/o turn to image), but still no way to converse it back to doc by Preview or NeoOffice. I guess it would cost me much to do my task in this matter. Or any other solutions I am not aware of?
fiat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I found some useful freeware fir this matter: 1) Trapeze: convert regular pdf (non-scanned, unencrypted) into txt file, 2) PDF OCR: convert all pdf (scanned image, encrypted, ..) into txt file. However, the free version of PDF OCR allows only 1 page conversion a time. The paid version ($30?) allows no size limit conversion all times. Thought this may help others too.
fiat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Another question regarding pdf: How do you delete a page from a multiple-page pdf file? using which software program? specifically to delete a page, not delete the content of a page, i.e., a 5-page pdf file will become 4-page file, not 5-page file with one page empty. Of course after removing one page, the short file can be saved as a new pdf file. Any help? Thanks
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiat wrote:
How do you delete a page from a multiple-page pdf file?

you can do that in preview, just enable the sidebar to see the thumbnails and click on the page you wish to remove and delete it. Then save the pdf

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
fiat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher,

Thanks much. It works as you said. Actually I tried Preview in the wrong way: I open a pdf file in Preview and in the side bar I "right click" the page I want to remove and select "move to trash" --> the whole file is gone! My bad. You're the man.
JonStark

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.convertpdftoword.net/ you can try here
fiat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonStark wrote:
www.convertpdftoword.net/ you can try here

Jon, I am not sure what type of mechanism the site's converter is built on, but I have tried one of my old "image type" pdf files to be converted at the site and it basically retrieve the images from every page and insert into each page of the created doc file. This makes the converted doc file non-editable at all!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: