123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MacPro on order
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: MacPro on order Reply with quote

2.8 quad with better gpu should arrive the 9th to 15th. with no deals it is 2700 plus 7 percent tax or 2889. I paid about 2500 with discounts. should score 10000 on geek bench vs 4700 for the maxed mini

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at classifieds i will be selling some gear to pay for it. maybe a modded esata mac mini . a lot of enclosures and hdds at low prices.

philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got shipping notice the macPro arrives on FRI the 10th. A few years ago I used to be able to present an argument that for many buyers 3 minis were better then a macpro. It is buried in the threads somewhere. at the time 3 minis were 1500 adding ram and decent hdds got you to about 1800. A mac pro with some upgrades was about 2700 so there was a 900 dollar price difference. For many tasks 3 minis were better suited then 1 MP. well now 3 base minis are 2100 add ram 2400 and better the hdds 2700.

1 base macpro with the better gpu and a little bit of extra ram is about 2850. . the mini as a bargain has died. too bad.

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
I got shipping notice the macPro arrives on FRI the 10th. A few years ago I used to be able to present an argument that for many buyers 3 minis were better then a macpro. It is buried in the threads somewhere. at the time 3 minis were 1500 adding ram and decent hdds got you to about 1800. A mac pro with some upgrades was about 2700 so there was a 900 dollar price difference. For many tasks 3 minis were better suited then 1 MP. well now 3 base minis are 2100 add ram 2400 and better the hdds 2700.

1 base macpro with the better gpu and a little bit of extra ram is about 2850. . the mini as a bargain has died. too bad.

While your comparison has merit, it really depends where in the product life cycle you are comparing the products. Perhaps when the 2010 mini is closer the end of it's product life cycle and it's price point drop the gap won't be so great.

This same game continually goes on between the Mac mini and the iMac. Sometimes your best bang for the buck is buy a product right when it's introduced. Sometimes you are better off waiting for the first batch of refurbs. Other times you are better off buying a product once it's been discontinued.

I'm glad you are getting the best bang for your buck today. Who knows how thing will compare a year from now.
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: MacPro on order Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
2.8 quad with better gpu

Philip, why did you order the 5870 GPU?
Wasn't the 5770 up to it?
I've read a lot of very good
things about that 5770.
The older entry level Graphics card
wasn't very reliable because of not
having a fan, at least thats what I've
read. The 5770 has a fan so it'll run
cooler and should be more reliable
than the one it replaced. So was
wondering why the 5870.

Just curious

Didn't think you were a gamer.

One can never tell.
Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I DID the same thing with the iMac.. Top of the line graphic cards allow better tv and movie options. Also The price is good to upgrade it. only 175 more then the oem card. I won't be able to get it for 175 for more then a year or so.

In a year the price will drop on both the 5770 and the 5870 and I could have sold the 5770 and upgrade to the 5870 for 175 or so. Instead for paying the 175 now in a year I can sell the 5870 and upgrade to whatever they have.

Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are numerous factors to consider when buying a computer.

I wouldn't mind a MacPro, but I really don't need one. I don't need that behemoth on my desk, and I don't need it's power consumption.

I have a nice display, so I don't need an iMac. I also am not really down with the all-in-one design.

I'm not a road warrior so I have no need for a laptop.

For me the mini is perfect. Power consumption, feature set, and size are all benefits to me.

Whether I could by this or five that's for any certain amount isn't what I look at. Distributed processing isn't supported by many applications so that's really a killer for buying so five that's instead of one of this to do what I need.

But, to each his own. I'm sure Philip will love his MacPro!

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing is for sure the pro allows tinkering. the iMAc and the mini just kept becoming more and more like a black box of magic. or a shiny silver box! Look at the atv it is so small and cute looking!

billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Damn You SMITHY Reply with quote

Smithy.........your making to much sense!!!
Your making me rethink my MacPro strategy.
Just because you don't NEED something
doesn't mean it can't be extremely useful.
However, if I buy the most expensive Porsche
and its only to get groceries, well, you know.

I use to have a pickup truck when I hunted
and fished. Now that I can no longer do
those activities I sold the truck. I rarely
miss it.

Buying a Porsche to drive around the block
doesn't make sense and a Mac Pro might
not make any sense either. I have to think
about this some more.
20" iMac G4 PPC
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
Top of the line graphic cards allow better tv and movie options.

More than likely the stock video card is overkill for watching videos...1 GB of GDDR5 memory. Holy smokes, I have a couple of 6-8GB panoramas that would like the stock card. I applaud the choice, enjoy!
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billb - Does that mean I need to wear an oversized suit? Laughing Oh, and if you can use a Porsche as a grocery getter, more power to you!

I don't really see what tinkering you can do with the MacPro. Sure it has slots, but what can you do with them these days? Drivers are hard to comeby. You might be able to upgrade the CPU(s) but that can be an expensive affair.

Again, to each their own. If a Pro is what you need then go for it! However, I think that most of us are in need of something along the lines of a consumer computer. If you need a screen, get an iMac, and if you don't get a mini.

I was talking to a friend of mine about what I see as missing in the Apple product matrix(the replacement for the Cube/Minitower Mac), and he said that he thought that the product matrix was perfect and there was no need for anything in between the iMac and the Pro. I have a need for a computer that can cut through video for transcoding for my media system, so I built a mini tower peecee. I hope to Hackintosh it soon, 'cuz I'm getting really tired of Win7. But I don't think I need a full on Mac Pro. I just need an upgradeable Mac.

SC

ps - Remembering that I spent more for my IIci than for what a Mac Pro goes for brings back some nostalgia...

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't need the mac pro butttt they don't make a mac midi which is what I need. I figure the pro will be good for more then 5 years before I outgrow it. With a cpu upgrade in 3 yrs I may get more like 8 or 9 years out of it. I have the quad 2.8 a quad 3.7 may be out next spring. when and if it comes out I will clock the price and drop it in when it is worth it. The mini's problem is the cpu seems stuck at the current speed for a while. 2.66ghz

billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
Billb - Does that mean I need to wear an oversized suit? Laughing Oh, and if you can use a Porsche as a grocery getter, more power to you!
I had a 928S. It looked like a worn down bar of soap.
But man.........was it FAST. The fastest I've driven it was 159 mph
indicated on the speedometer. In reality it was a little slower.
Scariest thing I ever did.

SC wrote:
I don't really see what tinkering you can do with the MacPro. Sure it has slots, but what can you do with them these days? Drivers are hard to comeby. You might be able to upgrade the CPU(s) but that can be an expensive affair.
I wanted it mainly for speed and four Hard Drive slots. Probably not good enough reason's to get a MacPro.

SC wrote:
Again, to each their own. If a Pro is what you need then go for it! However, I think that most of us are in need of something along the lines of a consumer computer. If you need a screen, get an iMac, and if you don't get a mini.
Philips right, it really is a shame (CRIME) SJ doesn't allow a mid-level headless Mac.

SC wrote:
I was talking to a friend of mine about what I see as missing in the Apple product matrix(the replacement for the Cube/Minitower Mac), and he said that he thought that the product matrix was perfect and there was no need for anything in between the iMac and the Pro. I have a need for a computer that can cut through video for transcoding for my media system, so I built a mini tower peecee. I hope to Hackintosh it soon, 'cuz I'm getting really tired of Win7. But I don't think I need a full on Mac Pro. I just need an upgradeable Mac.
Your friend doesn't have the same needs as you and I, thats why he thinks everything is perfect.

SC wrote:
SC

ps - Remembering that I spent more for my IIci than for what a Mac Pro goes for brings back some nostalgia...
I had over 10K invested in a IIci (an average family station wagon cost about the same)
with a 17" color display and 16 million colors. It needed a graphics card to drive it. I installed 32 Megabytes of RAM
(yes Megabytes)
I could go on and on. It now sounds funny.

billb
20" iMac G4 PPC
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure does sound insane when I think about what we used to spend on computer stuff twenty to ten years ago...

SC

Make sure it has pins!
tom d

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a new Mac Pro at the Annapolis Mall at the Apple Store while my wife was shopping. I asked the Genius if they sell many and he said quite a few, he said it wasn't a moders Dream because so much was already done for you. He then took off the side cover and said, I believe, there are 2 exons in there, feel the case were they are housed. There was no heat, it was as cool as can be and a huge amount of room for drives or what ever. I figured Phil will be able to fill that guy up and make it sing!!

tom d
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: