123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Intros New iPod touch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Apple Intros New iPod touch Reply with quote

Apple Intros New iPod touch
Wednesday, September 1, 2010
Posted by: Glenn

Apple today announced the new iPod touch, packed with new features including Apple's stunning Retina display, FaceTime video calling, HD video recording, Apple's A4 chip, 3-axis gyro, iOS 4.1 and Game Center-all combined in the thinnest and lightest iPod touch ever. The new iPod touch features up to 40 hours of music playback and seven hours of video playback on a single battery charge.

"We've put our most advanced technology inside the new iPod touch," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "Whether you're listening to music, playing games, making FaceTime video calls, browsing the web, capturing HD video or watching TV shows and movies, the new iPod touch with its Retina display, A4 chip and 3-axis gyro is more fun than ever."

The new iPod touch will be available next week for a suggested price of $229 (US) for the 8GB model, $299 (US) for the 32GB model and $399 (US) for the 64GB model through the Apple Store.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1537.html
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retina display, FaceTime, video recording, A4, 3-axis gyro.

Everything I wanted is there*. I also know a lot of people who were waiting for the new iPod touch and they all were saying that it would need to have all these new features.

Apple made the smart move by adding all the features. The only thing lower than the iPhone 4 is the resolution of photos but it's good enough for Web use (Flickr, Facebook, etc).

* oups, not everything. Forgot about GPS... it would have been extremely handy for location-targeted iAds.
2nd gen. iPod shuffle (1 GiB)

Last edited by Yvan256 on Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera was the feature I was hoping for and possibly the introduction of micro sim for data similar to the iPad.

The camera seems a let down compared to the iPhone and they seem to have glossed over what it can actually do. They mention the video but the apple Web site just says the camera is ok for a quick snap to upload to facebook which makes me think it's not going to be too clever.

I'm also surprised to see the Touch is no longer available in 16GB. it's 8GB, 32Gb or 64GB ? I manage perfectly well with a 16GB at present. 8Gb is too small and this one can do HD video as well Shocked

I'm completely confused by a lot of Apples decisions across the whole range of todays updates.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
I'm also surprised to see the Touch is no longer available in 16GB. it's 8GB, 32Gb or 64GB?

If we look at the prices for all three models:
8GB = $229.00
32GB = $299.00
64GB = $399.00

Looking at the price difference from the 32GB to the 64GB, we can calculate that 32GB is worth 100$.

So, 16GB would be worth 50$ and 8GB would be worth 25$. So that means that there should be a 16GB iPod touch at 250$.

However, Apple might have wanted a model at the lowest possible price or perhaps they wanted a better price gap between the lower and middle models.

So when you look at the available models and say to yourself: well, 229$ isn't that expensive, however for 70$ more I quadruple the capacity... I might as well buy the 299$ model, it's a better value.

So the 8GB model has two functions: for those who can't afford the 32GB and to upsell users to the 32GB model if they can afford it.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or so they can advertise new iPod Touches starting at only $229 Razz

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
theGimpiest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get an 8GB. I don't want to spend all that much and I've been waiting for a cheaper one that truly utilizes OS4. That is, unless other stores start discounting the 32GB enough, but I doubt it.
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to know how good the audio mic is on the video recorder. Wondering if it would work well for electric guitar jam sessions.
ma5ter5

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
I'm also surprised to see the Touch is no longer available in 16GB. it's 8GB, 32Gb or 64GB ? I manage perfectly well with a 16GB at present. 8Gb is too small and this one can do HD video as well Shocked

I do believe that before this update of iPod touches, it was the same storage capacities, 8, 32, 64. The 8 was only $199 and didn't have the VoiceOver update and something else.
iPod Touch 2nd gen 32gb (dead, stupid washing machine incident)
iPod nano 1st gen 4gb
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ma5ter5 wrote:
Cypher wrote:

I do believe that before this update of iPod touches, it was the same storage capacities, 8, 32, 64. The 8 was only $199 and didn't have the VoiceOver update and something else.

The old 8GB was 2nd generation, not worth buying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: