123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini as Download Server

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
riker82

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Mac Mini as Download Server Reply with quote

Hi,
I've bought a brand new Mac Mini that I want to use as download server (and as HTPC).
I'll connect it to my NAS in order to have a bigger capacity.

My "download server"'s apps are amule and torrent, but I'd like to move automatically downloaded files to my Nas Server. Does exist any AppleScript or Automator workflow that can help me?

Thanks
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Hazel from noodlesoft

http://www.noodlesoft.com/hazel.php

If you play the video tour on that page it shows you what it can do.

Its well worth the money especially if you want to set up lots of different rules depending on the file types etc.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
riker82

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tool, It works perfectly with Amule, that creates the file at the end of download, which rule can help me with torrented files?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with torrent files, there not something I've ever used.
What is it that you end up with and what do you need to do ?

riker82

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just need that at the end of the download, my file torrented should be moved to another location.

Considera that the file is created immediately when you start the download... Probably the best is if choose as download location for torrent my "destination" folder.

Do you know if Hazel moves the file automatically or should I run the rule?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the torrents download over several days from the various source you get them from ?

If you were downloading a movie file say myMovie.avi would it download directly as myMovie.avi or does it get some additional marker to say it's a partial download ?

Once setup Hazel will monitor the folder you point it to, and when the conditions are met it automatically apply the rules.

I have my downloads folder tidied up by hazel and as soon as a file completes downloading it's moved into the either the DMG, ZIP, PDF folder automatically. Hazel never tries to move the file until it's complete. I'm not sure how it would know when a torrent had completed though.

You could set a rule which says when the file is more than x days old apply the move rule. Where the number of days is enough for the download to have completed.

I have a rule on my system which tidies up my desktop and moves the files to a folder called INBOX. this is only a temporary holding place for files I'm working on, so nothing should stay here for long. So I also have rules which start to apply coloured labels to the files once they are in the inbox. New files are initially set green, after a week of not being used they turn orange and later they turn red. I can tell from the colour of the file how long it's been sitting there unused. When I get around to manually tidying up the Inbox I know I can safely move all the red files to my File Archives as they are no longer being used.

Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get really clever with the rules. I'm definitely not at that level yet, but I am starting to get Hazel doing some work for me now.

As an example, I have a Fujitsu ScanSnap Scanner and I tend to scan in all of my paper work, such as bills, statements, receipts, letter etc. I use hazel to do all the filing for me. I load a document in the scanner and let it scan. All the scans are saved to a single folder on my HDD called _ScanSnapInbox. Hazel monitors this folder and depending on how I name the file it has a series of rules which tells it where it should move the file to. If the file is a bank statement it will contain the words "bank statement" and it will also contain the name of the bank. Hazel will move the file into my Banking Folder and place it in a Subfolder for that bank. All my Utility Bills do the same with Hazel knowing where to store my Telephone Bill, my Electricity Bill etc. Similarly if it mentions "receipt" it will automatically be moved to my receipts folder.

riker82

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmh it seems to be powerful tool. Since tomorrow I'll be on holidays but when I'll come back, I'll take and with It.

Thanks a lot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: