123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help Me Decide

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fouadbakht

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject: Help Me Decide Reply with quote

I bought my fifth Mac Mini which happened to be the new Aluminum Unibody Mid 2010. Nice machine but my hopes of running Aperture 3 were dashed to the ground after I found it to be slightly sluggish but not too bad as well. I'm also into casual home movie making on iMovie. Rest major portion of my work involves iWork/Office 2008 and Bento etc.
I really like this mini but am afraid of what many people say and dont recommend the system for users like me.
My question to the forum and specially those in particular who are users of Aperture 3 and iMovie:
"Should I keep the Mini and increase the RAM to 4GB, install 80GB SSD, would that make it formidible enough?"
I already have the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Mouse which were gifted to me. Rest my setup includes a Dell 24" 16:9 Full HD LCD Display hooked up via Sony HDMI cable to my Mac Mini. After having worked on the 24" I am afraid that 21.5" iMac may prove to be small and that leaves me with the 27" option, which, frankly being way over priced is NOT AN OPTION for me. Sorry for the long post. But I needed to explain what I'm facing.
Please help me out. Thanks
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Decide Reply with quote

fouadbakht wrote:
"Should I keep the Mini and increase the RAM to 4GB, install 80GB SSD, would that make it formidible enough?"

I think that increasing the amount of memory is a good first step. That alone might make things run more smoothly, without installing an SSD. So I would try that first. Smile
fouadbakht

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its funny how tech changes so rapidly. Couple of months back and even now like the 13" MacBook Pro (so called professional model) had almost same specs as the new Mac Mini and considered good for Pro Applications, yet the new Mac Mini is often understated/under estimated and considered not to be worthy enough. This often drives me mad specially when I'm a Mini fan.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly what you mean. I still roll my eyes when I see posts on these forums asking whether a Mini is 'good enough' for photo editing or whether the graphics card really can drive a 24" monitor... Laughing
fouadbakht

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'll just upgrade the RAM to 4GB. Oh and this reminds me, is it okay if I install a single 4GB module and leave them other slot vacant for future expansion? Is there going to be some kinda performance glitch or bottle neck if both RAM slots are not occupied?
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory, there's a tiny speed advantage to the Mini's video capability by using 2 matched modules.

But another member of 123MM recently reported sluggish graphics performance when using two 1GB modules. He upgraded by replacing one of the 1GB modules with a 4GB module and afterwards said that his Mini's video performance had improved measurably -- despite having unmatched modules.
http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27680
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

use a 1gb and a 4gb they will work fine and better then just the single 4gb stick.

ram link 1

these are 94 bucks after coupon.

ram link 2

these are 93 bucks after coupon .. I have used both with great success.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
use a 1gb and a 4gb they will work fine and better then just the single 4gb stick.

Yes, I think I'd be tempted to put something in the empty slot rather than leave it empty.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used 1 plus 4 setups they are better then 2 plus 2 in just about every case. So far more ram is better in just about every test I ever did.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
fouadbakht

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I better use a 4+1 Combo. Tell Me Forum:

1. The best offer so far I got for my current 1GB Hynix is USD $22. Is that okay?

2. The 4GB RAM available to me is of 1333MHz bus. So a 4GB (1333MHz bus) alongwith 1GB (1066MHz)? Any comments?

3. The resellers are giving away Princeton Memory 8GB (1333MHz) DDR3 for USD $285, since Samsung, Hynix, Kingston not available in 4GB yet. Yea I know it sucks. But just wanted to know if its worth paying for "Princeton Memory".

Anxious for your inputs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: