123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HDMI to DVI cables with Mac mini.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tolken

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: HDMI to DVI cables with Mac mini. Reply with quote

I am thinking about ordering a 32" N3250w Viewsonic LCD from Newegg. The display has HDMI and 15-pin mini D-sub (VGA) connectors. Can I hook up this display to the Mac mini with a HDMI male to DVI male cable like this one from Cables To Go? I can always use the VGA connector if it doesn't work out. The display has a native resolution of 1360x768. Will the Mac mini recognize this resolution or will I need to use that DisplayConfigX program?
Ranter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cable should work. I used a similar cable last weekend to connect first my PowerBook and then my Mac Mini to a Panasonic 42" Plasma display. In both cases the computer produced visible output on the TV, but only the PowerBook seemed to understand and be able to adjust to the capabilities of the display.

The Mac Mini offered only 3 ridiculous resolution selections, none of which produced a pleasing display.

It may be that DisplayConfigX would allow use of my Mac Mini with our TV, but I do not like the way the author presents the product and demands payment before its viability for any selection useful for my purposes can be determined.

I've abandoned my plans to use my Mac Mini as a home theatre device.

Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them.
Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
Tolken

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I think the HDMI to DVI cable will work out. I'm still a little scared of using DisplayConfigX. I have no idea what to do in there. Do you think there is a chance that 1360x768 will show up as an option in Displays? I really want to run at the native resolution. I'm sure you know this, but everything looks blurry once you get away from a LCD's native resolution. I don't mind if there are small borders around the screen.
poisonfist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tolken wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I think the HDMI to DVI cable will work out. I'm still a little scared of using DisplayConfigX. I have no idea what to do in there. Do you think there is a chance that 1360x768 will show up as an option in Displays? I really want to run at the native resolution. I'm sure you know this, but everything looks blurry once you get away from a LCD's native resolution. I don't mind if there are small borders around the screen.

1360x768 is not listed in the options, you will have to create that profile yourself. I have a 1366x768 LCD tv which I use the 720p profile (1280x720) which is working fine for me. When I have time, I may try to get it running in its native resolution.

328i sport package
Ranter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on my experience, I think your native resolution will not appear without using DisplayConfigX, and I would not feel comfortable guessing what might happen with it.

When I connected my PowerBook to the same Plasma TV using the same cable, the PowerBook offered all sorts of valid display resolution choices, including 1280 by 720 which seemed to be our sets native resolution, it sure was lovely!

Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them.
Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
SStreet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tolken wrote:

You will probably find that anything over 1280x720 is overscan lines and not displayed anyway...

On my Sony 36" (CRT) HDTV, 1280x720p is perfect, but 1300x800 is the same resolution with out the top 10 and bottom 10 lines displayed, as well as the 30 on each side... go figure.

Mac Mini 1.42GHz, 1G, 80G/4200RPM
Tolken

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poisonfist wrote:

1360x768 is not listed in the options, you will have to create that profile yourself. I have a 1366x768 LCD tv which I use the 720p profile (1280x720) which is working fine for me. When I have time, I may try to get it running in its native resolution.

Ranter, SStreet, and Poisonfist.

Thanks for ALL the info guys. Poisonfist how does text look good with the 720p profile at 1280x720? I have a 17" Dell that has a native resolution of 1280x1024. Icons and text get blurry once you start to lower the resolution. I posted the specs for the Viewsonic display below. The thing that's throwing me off is the specs say 1360x768 (preferred) for the PC and 1280x720 (preferred) the Mac. How can an LCD have two native resolutions without compromising clarity? Do the 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i settings play into this? Any kind of help would be most appreciated.

Viewsonic N3250w
INPUT SIGNAL TV/Video Comp. 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i
COMPATIBILITY PC 1360x768 (preferred), 1024x768, 1280x768
Mac Power Mac G3/G4/G5 up to 1280x1024, 1280x720 (preferred)
poisonfist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The texts appear crystal clear in the 720p on my tv. I know what you mean by fuzzy fonts in lower resolution than the monitor's native resolution. The same happens to mine with my 17" LCD (1280x1024) I use in my studio.

328i sport package
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: HDMI to DVI cables with Mac mini. Reply with quote

Tolken wrote:
I am thinking about ordering a 32" N3250w Viewsonic LCD from Newegg.

I bought the 27" N2750W two months ago for around $750. I've been happy with mine so far. The remote has been the biggest disappointment. The internal speakers and picture are fantastic. The 27" runs at 1280x720 and looks great with the Mac mini. It has a DVI input instead of the HDMI input. I'm sure the 32" will look good because it has better viewing angles and response time. I think you'll be happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: