123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KVM Switch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mshaddix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: KVM Switch Reply with quote

I am looking to buy a KVM switch for my G4 Mac Mini (OSX 10.4.11) and a PC running Windows7. I have seen many on TigerDirect's and NewEgg's website but seen a lot of reviews saying they aren't compatable w/ Windows7.

Anyone have any suggestions on where I should look, or a specific model to look into?
120GB iPod
LittleEskimo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the same thing with connecting a mini and pc with a kvm. Saves a ton of hassle with connecting disconnecting keyboard/mouse ect even if I don't use the pc much.

I use a TrendNET TK-207k. Has been working well. Sorry but I haven't had any experience with win7 and my KVM. I just looked on newegg and found at least a couple reviews saying that win7 worked with the kvm. So maybe you could look into trendNET's products. Although if you are willing to spend a lot of money on a KVM, might want to shoot a little higher than TrendNET. For someone on a budget, it works. I haven't had much of any complaints yet.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got tired of seeing all the odd restrictions that every KVM I looked at had.

My requirements were for a USB/DVI KVM. I never did find one that didn't have some sort of issues. Instead, since my display has two inputs, a DVI and a VGA, I have the mini on the DVI and the peecee on the VGA. Eventually I found the Kensington ShareCentral at Amazon. At the time the ShareCentral 2 was half the price of the ShareCentral so I got the ShareCentral 2. I also picked up a MacAlly 7 port USB hub to go with the second USB connection.

Anyway, I set the display prefs to sleep the display at a minute on the mini if I need to leave it running, and then when the display sleeps I power up the peecee. I have to do this since my display doesn't have any sort of connection switch. Then I just switch the USB connections, if the ShareCentral didn't do it on it's own.

Amazon ShareCentral

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
LittleEskimo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is so frustrating to me that dvi kvm's can be so pricey. If you don't mind, maybe you could post how your new kvm works after some use. If the kensington seems to work well, who knows, maybe I will send kvm back. Very Happy
porthos

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to MACs (2011 mini basic model with upgrade to Crucial 8MB RAM) and have a need to also keep my PC running. Has anyone had experience with cordless mice running on KVMs? I have a Logitech Performance MX.

Thanks,

Steve
LittleEskimo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a basic little trendnet kvm and I run a logitech mx610 wireless mouse on it. I have had no problems for over a year now.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleEskimo - I'm not sure if you ment me, but the Kensington works great. The only problem I have with it, is that it is supposed to be smart and sometimes when I log out, or log in, of an account on the peecee, it switches. However all I have to do is switch it back. Maybe if I installed the software for it, it wouldn't do that, but it's a small price to pay.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: