123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates iMac Line

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Apple Updates iMac Line Reply with quote

Apple Updates iMac Line
Tuesday, July 27, 2010
Posted by: Glenn

Apple today updated its all-in-one iMac line with the latest Intel Core i3, Core i5 and Core i7 processors and powerful new graphics. According to the company, the new iMac line is the fastest ever with dual-core processor speeds up to 3.6 GHz, quad-core speeds up to 2.93 GHz and discrete graphics including the powerful ATI Radeon HD 5750. Prices for the line start at $1,199.

"We took the world's best all-in-one and made it even better," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "With the latest processors, high-performance graphics and signature aluminum and glass design, customers are going to love the latest iMac."

Dual-core Intel Core i3 and Core i5, and quad-core Core i5 and Core i7 processors set a new benchmark for iMac performance. The processors feature an integrated memory controller to access the system memory directly, allowing the new iMac to take full advantage of its faster 1333 MHz memory. New discrete ATI Radeon HD processors deliver incredibly smooth, crisp graphics for the most demanding 3D games, creative software and technical applications. iMac displays feature IPS technology to deliver a brilliant image across a wide 178 degree viewing angle. The SD card slot on the iMac now supports the SDXC format to handle the latest high-capacity storage cards. Customers of the 27-inch iMac have the option to order a 256GB solid state drive (SSD) as a primary or secondary drive. The iMac SSD supports up to 215 MB/s data transfer rates for faster startup and application launch times.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1531.html
ma5ter5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice to see that the 27" can have the standard hd, ssd, or both.

and as far as the magic trackpad. seems interesting. but why does apple only offer it for purchase with the iMac in addition to the multi-touch magic mouse? is this from apple's redundancy department of redundant? seems like a bad idea to me. i can't imagine having both the magic mouse and magic trackpad.

the new mac pros and displays look cool. wish they would keep the 24" display however, for a lower price point. but i doubt that.
iPod Touch 2nd gen 32gb (dead, stupid washing machine incident)
iPod nano 1st gen 4gb
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO the lowend iMac is now a Much better deal than the top end maxed out mini.
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:

Well, the maxed out skinny mini prices out at $1049 compared to the low end iMac at $1199, so you are basically paying $150 for the buit-in 21 inch LED monitor, with a bit of a tweak in processor speed and graphics processor.

It's a slightly better deal price wise, but I wouldn't say its a Mac Mini killer by any means.
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
tom95521

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missing USB 3. Too bad. It would be my next computer if it had the new version.

Tom
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with tony an iMac has a 3.06GHZ a mini has a 2.66GHz an iMac has a Radeon 4670 graphics card the mini has the NVIDA 320 graphics card. the iMac has a keyboard and a mouse the mini go buy them so if you add the mouse and keyboard in you are at 1167 for the mini and 1199 for the iMac. a 3.06GHz with 1333MHz will crush a 2.66GHz with 1066 ram. now at 1167 vs 1199 you still have not grabbed a monitor for the mini..

and for those of you that say what if the monitor dies in the iMac you can add one on the iMac has a mini displayport.
even if you hate the screen shut it off and buy a monitor a big 24 inch. If they had only give me a USB3 or an eSata port I would have considered grabbing one in the next few weeks.

also remember the iMac has the free ipod promo for students. apple is very liberal about the education promos the mini does not give you the ipod.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacDSmith2 wrote:
TonyMontana wrote:

Well, the maxed out skinny mini prices out at $1049 compared to the low end iMac at $1199, so you are basically paying $150 for the buit-in 21 inch LED monitor, with a bit of a tweak in processor speed and graphics processor.

It's a slightly better deal price wise, but I wouldn't say its a Mac Mini killer by any means.

I'm not saying it's a mini killer by any means. But in terms of cash to processing power, the low end i3 will smoke the 2.66Ghz p8800 in the top end mini. The ATI Radeon HD 4670 is also dedicated compared to the 320m's shared memory. I surely don't need a extra monitor, but at a $150 difference I'd purchase the imac.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked at some benchmarks of the i3 3.06Ghz 540 vs the 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo p8800 the i3 comes in at %75-%80 faster depending on which testing sites you look at. The i-series are really quite different in terms of processing and architecture, with intel's hyper-threading the i-3's can multitask better. They can handle 2 task per core making it able to emulate a 4core processor.

And PC gamers would still laugh at our slow, low- end i3's.
Confused
pokeeto2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't the MAc Mini get this more potent ATI Chip????

Miles better than the 9400m and 320m combined. And I hope Apple brings the Core i Series Chip into the Mini as well.

I have the newest Mini and I am willing to replace it if Apple Brings in the much faster Core i Series Chip and a better GPU. I do lots of vid editing and etc, the extra HP and graphics is a huge welcome/

Apple will not use the crappy Intel Integrated graphics, Core 2 Duo is being discontinued, 320m will be old by the next Mac Mini refresh. This is a desktop PC, Apple can stop making the Mini Anemic.

I see a significant boost in performance in the next update. Oh yeah, a 7200rpm drive should be standard as well. If the Server mini gets them and it works much harder, why can't the regular Mini get it??
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Apple has a design problem in that they want to minimize chip count, power consumption and board space in the Mac Mini so they want a minimum two chip set at most. How do they get that with the i3/i5 processors and not use NVIDIA chip sets? I don't know that Apple can solve that problem, which is why the i3/i5 chips are not in the Mac Mini. Apple doesn't want to downgrade the graphics to the Intel built-in GDPs.
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: