123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starcraft II beta client for Mac available

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Starcraft II beta client for Mac available Reply with quote

Been playing this for a couple of days now. Anyone else got the beta?

(available to everyone who preorders from GameStop)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
arnoldra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: will it run? Reply with quote

So I'm totally pumped for SCII, but finally the system req were updated with its release today and this is what it says for gcard:

NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT or ATI Radeon® X1600 or better

Alright. I'm running a 1.83 dual core mini with intel built-in gcard. Anyone else pick this up yet and are running it on a mini? Anyone think it'll run on a mini?

Looking for thoughts before I shell out the cash...
khisayruou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im on a 2.2 c2d, GeForce 8600M GT , macbook pro with low settings and still find it not as fast/smooth as I would like. I don't even want to try it on my mac mini.
RevolverSly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I've purchased the Starcraft 2 game yesterday, and after a few first impressions last night i got some questions about it.

I have a Late 2009 Mac mini with 2.26 Ghz core 2 duo, 4 GB in RAM, 160 GB in HD and a LG M2794D 27'' 1920x1080p monitor. Actually I don't get the best performance in the game. But the options in the game can be adjusted manually to work on low-end to ultra graphics performance.

So, I tried with some diferent options and I wish to know if someone has been figurated some kind of "best configuration posibble" for a mini like mine.

P S. So far, the best I can achieve is to set to Intermediate textures with low graphics options and a resolution of 1366x768. Still payable but not too fast.

Thanks in advance.
arnoldra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RevolverSly wrote:
Hi

P S. So far, the best I can achieve is to set to Intermediate textures with low graphics options and a resolution of 1366x768. Still payable but not too fast.

Thanks in advance.

So can you go lower in textures and other options (resolution?) and get it to play to a faster speed?
RevolverSly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arnoldra wrote:
RevolverSly wrote:
Hi

Thanks in advance.

So can you go lower in textures and other options (resolution?) and get it to play to a faster speed?

That's correct. Actually on 1920x1080 looks great, but my marines moves like "spacewalking".
On the other side when I tried the 1280x720 with low textures and low graphics, the game moves fast, the zerling seriously looks like a swarm, but the terrain, the structures and the units looks like made of clay, reminds me my old days with my PSone.
arnoldra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: hmmmmm Reply with quote

[quote="RevolverSly"][quote="arnoldra"]
RevolverSly wrote:
Hi
That's correct. Actually on 1920x1080 looks great, but my marines moves like "spacewalking".
On the other side when I tried the 1280x720 with low textures and low graphics, the game moves fast, the zerling seriously looks like a swarm, but the terrain, the structures and the units looks like made of clay, reminds me my old days with my PSone.

Hm. Now I'm tempted with my 1.83...
ReliantLion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had problems running it on my 2009 2.26GHz with 4 Gigs of RAM, playing from an Intel SSD. Everything loads really fast, but the graphics performance left much to be desired. I read on Blizzard's forums that many users used Bootcamp and installed in Windows. I did this, and I am able to turn most settings up to Medium, while still being able to retain my eye sight. It makes no sense to me why it works better in Windows, since it limits my RAM to 2.2 Gigs or so, and it runs off a 5400 RPM HDD. Hopefully this is fixed soon, as I hate booting to Windows as it is.

While playing in Mac OS X, I had no mouse cursor in full screen mode. So I had to use a window mode to play, it retains my huge cursor for when I use my TV, even though I play on my monitor.

Long story short, I'm highly disappointed in OS X's performance for this game. I've heard it is even worse if you are up to date as of 10.6.4 as well as other games having issues. Stick with 10.6.3 if you can.
Marc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here.
I also installed Bootcamp & XP on a 3rd partition. I haven't ran all the tests, but there is a big enough difference to bother with this and just play it in Windows.

I have a 2010 mini, with 4GB of RAM. Most settings are on medium. In OSX (10.6.3), it was so so @ 1280 x 1024. In XP, I am playing @ 1600 x 1200, medium settings as well. 30 FPS (so far, only played a few levels), and feels more responsive (scrolling, etc).

I'll try to get some more numbers later in the week.
RevolverSly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Mac mini performance guide Reply with quote

Hi

Recently, some nice guy has posted in blizzard forums some configurations guides for best perfomance with SC2 on OSX. Here are the recomendations for mac minis:

Mid 2010 Mac Mini with GT320m Integrated Graphics

Textures:
Texture Quality: Medium

Graphics:
Graphics Quality: Custom
Shaders: Low
Lighting: Low
Shadows: Low
Terrain: Medium
Reflections: On
Effects: Medium
Post-Processing: Low
Physics: Medium
Models: High
Unit Portraits: 3D
Movies: High Definition

Notes: Expect an average of 30fps. Integrated Graphics.

Late 2009 Mac Mini with nVidia 9400m Integrated Graphics

Textures:

Graphics:
Reflections: Off
Physics: Low

*In both cases set the units portraits into 2d saves some 1-5 FPS.

Currently the mac client has been trough some difficulties (Nvidia, Apple and Blizzard TOTALY screw up)
And HOPELY the better performance comes with new Nvidia drives, OSX 10.6.5 actualization and Blizzard patch.

PS. All credit goes for Blizzard`s forums user Frost
Marc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick test on my 2010 Mini, 4GB RAM.

In OS X.
Textures: Medium
Graphics: Medium
Resolution: 1600 x 1000

----> FPS: 13-15 on the Snatch & Grab level.

Same settings in XP:

----> FPS: 23-25 on the Snatch & Grab level.

In XP, on most levels, it hovers around 30 FPS (can't say I always pay attention though). I don't notice any lag, or slowness. In OSX, just scrolling on the map feels sluggish. Sucks Confused
morani

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Mac mini performance guide Reply with quote

RevolverSly wrote:
Hi

Recently, some nice guy has posted in blizzard forums some configurations guides for best perfomance with SC2 on OSX. Here are the recomendations for mac minis:

Mid 2010 Mac Mini with GT320m Integrated Graphics

Textures:

Graphics:
Reflections: On
Physics: Medium

Late 2009 Mac Mini with nVidia 9400m Integrated Graphics

Textures:

Graphics:
Reflections: Off
Physics: Low

*In both cases set the units portraits into 2d saves some 1-5 FPS.

Currently the mac client has been trough some difficulties (Nvidia, Apple and Blizzard TOTALY screw up)
And HOPELY the better performance comes with new Nvidia drives, OSX 10.6.5 actualization and Blizzard patch.

PS. All credit goes for Blizzard`s forums user Frost

Thanks for the info
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: