123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Check out these rumors for iMac and Mac Pro
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Check out these rumors for iMac and Mac Pro Reply with quote

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/16/usb-3-0-and-faster-firewire-in-next-mac-pro-imac/

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/23/mac-pro-unavailable-for-in-store-reservations-at-many-locations/

this second rumor is very hopeful many times when this happens new gear comes out.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting, Philip.

Who knows, in the current economic climate, Apple might price the new machines at a level that ordinary people can afford!!!

Oh, okay -- that's probably not gonna happen... Rolling Eyes Wink
Colstan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Check out these rumors for iMac and Mac Pro Reply with quote

It's good to see that Apple's other desktop systems will likely be getting some updates shortly. A lot of self-proclaimed "experts" have written articles about the supposed "death of the Mac". Reality has this habit of getting in the way of this argument. In its latest quarter, Apple sold a record number of Macs (3.47 million) on 33% growth, outpacing the general PC market (20.7%). Considering that Apple's Q3 (April-June) Mac sales are generally weak compared to the second-half of the year, this is rather amazing. Taking into account that the low-end Mac mini is the least costly Mac, it's really quite remarkable. People really are willing to pay for quality.

As far as the new releases are concerned, I'm guessing that the iMac will see a bump in specs at the component level (CPU, hard drive, etc.) but not a major redesign, considering the current design is relatively recent.

The Mac Pro might see a case redesign, but the case has had the same exterior design since the G5, so I'm thinking that it won't have a substantial change in appearance. It's easily recognizable and still looks better than any workstation that PC makers put out, IMO. I'll place my bet on 6-core Xeons in these models, along with updated graphics card options.

I wonder if the Xserve will be updated. There haven't been any rumors about that, but it's Apple's least talked about Mac, so that's not surprising.

Colstan
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the apple store is down maybe a mac pro will come out today

mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple Store UK down too.
Colstan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Check out these rumors for iMac and Mac Pro Reply with quote

Well, the press releases are rolling in. New iMacs and Magic Trackpad today, 6-core and 12-core Mac Pros in August, and a 27-inch Cinema Display in September.

What I find most interesting is that the high-end iMac, as well as the Mac Pro, have an optional SSD upgrade.

Uh...Magic Trackpad? It's been rumored for some time, but why would you choose it over a mouse? It'll be interesting to see how this thing works.

Colstan
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Check out these rumors for iMac and Mac Pro Reply with quote

Colstan wrote:
Well, the press releases are rolling in. New iMacs and Magic Trackpad today, 6-core and 12-core Mac Pros in August, and a 27-inch Cinema Display in September.

What I find most interesting is that the high-end iMac, as well as the Mac Pro, have an optional SSD upgrade.

Uh...Magic Trackpad? It's been rumored for some time, but why would you choose it over a mouse? It'll be interesting to see how this thing works.

Colstan

The ssd upgrade for the imac is nice. it is a very hard computer to diy hdd upgrades. you can add a ssd and a 2tb hdd.

they refused to give it an external connection upgrade. so if you go for the 27 inch with a 3.6 i5 core it is 1899. Then add the ssd and hdd upgrade you are at 2800. plus add the better graphics you are at 2949.

or do the same with the quad core i7 you are at 3099. So basically is the
2.93 GHz i7 quad core worth 150 more then the 3.6GHz i5 dual core?

still over 3k and no fast connection to an external raid enclosure. for me not a problem, but for graphic artist or a video guy it is a real fu to be stuck with fw800. I don't want to hear buy a new mac pro. How hard was it to give an esata for backing up a 2tb internal hdd?

philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and one more fu just as the 4gb sticks of ddr3 1066 got cheap for the 2009 iMac you have to get ddr3 1333 sticks.

Now I know the new sticks will give you a faster iMac but all the info is bottlenecked by FW800 connection. Truly nasty way to do business.

Plus the new iMac would not have really hurt mac pro sales the mac pro will have the 12 core and the Apple Quad-Channel 4Gb Fibre Channel PCI Express Card .

TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
oh and one more fu just as the 4gb sticks of ddr3 1066 got cheap for the 2009 iMac you have to get ddr3 1333 sticks.

How exactly is using newer faster technology a FU?
Usually people complain about older, slower technology in new computer updates being a "FU". Wink
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is an fu if you don't let it leave the machine faster. So if the machine does not want to off load if faster processed info it is great.

If I can make 100 pizzas in my faster oven
(more expensive oven) what good is that if I can't deliver them any faster. Because I still have one delivery boy on a bike. Come apple how about giving us the van to move the pizza out of the parlor.

Like I said for me it does not matter I really don't need the improvement. But a simple esata or express/Card slot in a 3k computer is not a lot to ask for.

TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The machine Will be faster. Not everyone relies on an a FW800 external for file processing. Simply to say "but all the info is bottlenecked by FW800 connection" isn't very relevant when talking about internal processing capabilities.

I personally know many professional photographers, audio engineers, graphic artist, and videographers...NONE of them rely on or use eSATA for external connections. Unless you are using an xserve and multiple MacPro's, moving TB's of video for production eSATA just isn't an absolute necessity.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony they built a faster machine that is really nice of them. It is crippled for off loading info to the speed of 80MB/s.

I really don't understand why they choose to cripple its ability to transfer data. So it lives in a vacuum or what? Go to the apple forums (on apple online) and read about iMacs there are lots of people looking for fast input and output for the machine. Plus only 1 fw800 limits daisy-chaining.

I just set up a musician with a kramer fw800 hub and two fw800 hdds for his iMac why did he need the kramer because he does
not want to lose recording he wants two external hdds and he needs to have a mike setup that would mean a 3 fw800 daisychain there are not reliable. so he did the 2 fw800 enclosure on one part of the kramer and the mike on the other. Even if you want to argue fw800 is fast enough fine then give a pair not one.

TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately Apple just isn't a performance driven company. They hold more value in aesthetics and image, than performance and value. Personally I couldn't purchase any of their high end equipment and feel that I got a "good" deal. Especially when I know I can build machines for almost half the price that have the same or better performance. The marketing wizards at Apple apparently think an SD slot on the new iMac was more important than an extra interface. Go figure. Confused
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is frustrating. I am saving for a mac pro. maybe this fall.

MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
it is frustrating. I am saving for a mac pro. maybe this fall.

OK, here is your Mac Pro, Philip! 8-Core 2.93 GHz Processors, 32 GB RAM memory with 8 TB of hard disk space and four video display cards, for only $12,049 cheap! The four 27-inch LED LCD Monitors are extra! Enjoy!
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: