123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Introduces New Multi-Touch Magic Trackpad
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Apple Introduces New Multi-Touch Magic Trackpad Reply with quote

Apple Introduces New Multi-Touch Magic Trackpad
Tuesday, July 27, 2010
Posted by: Glenn

Apple today announced the release of the Magic Trackpad. This device brings the intuitive Multi-Touch gestures of Mac notebook trackpads to the desktop. With its glass surface, the wireless Magic Trackpad enables users to scroll smoothly up and down a page with inertial scrolling, pinch to zoom in and out, rotate an image with their fingertips and swipe three fingers to flip through a collection of web pages or photos. It also can be configured to support single button or two button commands and supports tap-to-click as well as a physical click. The Magic Trackpad is priced at $69.99.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1533.html

Last edited by admin on Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
gigaguy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why they don't give the dimensions of the pad? I don't see it listed anywhere, hmm. I can measure my BT keyboard for the depth I guess.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect 10.6.5 to come out soon to support all these new items that came out today.
decaturnc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will confess that I am intrigued. I don't know if I will buy one or not. I do like the way the trackpad on my macbook pro works. I just don't know if I need it biggie sized.
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
......roughly 5.2 inches by 4.3 inches......

Dimensions from a review at MacWorld.
sgreszcz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be better if they build an all-in-one keyboard with integrated touchpad to be used with a TV-connected mac mini.
decaturnc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgreszcz wrote:
Would be better if they build an all-in-one keyboard with integrated touchpad to be used with a TV-connected mac mini.

on one or two of the podcasts that I listen to and in some articles I've read there is discussion about how this will integrate with a future product/device be it a brand new device or a refreshed existing device.

I think a combo unit would be nice but I am not going to hold out for one. If they do make one I am sure it will be as impressive as some of their other offerings.
ma5ter5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

decaturnc wrote:
sgreszcz wrote:

on one or two of the podcasts that I listen to and in some articles I've read there is discussion about how this will integrate with a future product/device be it a brand new device or a refreshed existing device.

I think a combo unit would be nice but I am not going to hold out for one. If they do make one I am sure it will be as impressive as some of their other offerings.

wouldn't be surprised if it would be apple TV.
iPod Touch 2nd gen 32gb (dead, stupid washing machine incident)
iPod nano 1st gen 4gb
myminirocks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ma5ter5 wrote:
decaturnc wrote:
sgreszcz wrote:

wouldn't be surprised if it would be apple TV.

my thought exactly. The second I saw this thing I figured it was a way to introduce a sexy input device that doesn't look like a keyboard/mouse, and where else do we want an input device that doesn't look geeky and 'computer' like... the lounge room.
Elgato EyeTV Diversity
16G iPhone 3G
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone placed one of these next to an Apple bt keyboard yet? Is the profile exactly the same, so if it were placed right next to the keyboard, it would be the exact same height, width, angle, etc. and just look like a part of or extension of the keyboard? Just got a Magie Mouse, but am thinking about jumping on this.

Thanks!!!
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaMini wrote:
Has anyone placed one of these next to an Apple bt keyboard yet? Is the profile exactly the same, so if it were placed right next to the keyboard, it would be the exact same height, width, angle, etc. and just look like a part of or extension of the keyboard? Just got a Magie Mouse, but am thinking about jumping on this.

Thanks!!!

Appears to have been designed to be an exact match.
gigaguy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my trackpad Fri. I think I prefer the Magic mouse. I surf from the sofa with the mouse on a small pillow and thought the tpad might offer some better ergonomics, but I'm not really a trackpad or laptop user, and I find the mouse is easier to use than a finger to position the pointer.

I read a lot of criticism of the Magic Mouse but I love it, but only with the add-on BetterTouchTool software, makes both the tpad and the MM unlimited in gestures and control.
cloud9

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't wait for mine to rock up! Smile
chillvisio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already playing with my new Magic Trackpad for almost four days now. Just noticed that it is power hungry device, but I am really in love with it. Not a bad idea to admit that I never touched the MacBook touchpad, but this device is so intuitive that I've learned to work with it in a few minutes and now I am using the mouse only for basic photo retouch activities.
Gable

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Not so hot with TVs Reply with quote

While the MacMini is a great box to connect to your TV, this trackpad is not. To accept clicks, it has to be on a firm flat surface because the two front corner pads are actually the clickers. This means using it on your couch or your knee or anything convenient leaning back in your easy chair is out of the question. You are still better off with a wireless mouse or in-air pointer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: