123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Applecare

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregs656

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Applecare Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm out in the states at the moment and I'm seriously considering a mac book to partner my iMac. One thing I'm wondering about is applecare, the store in LV wasn't very helpful on this, as I understand it applecare is internationally valid. How ever, the store was saying that if I bought apple care in the US I would have to use the US phone support - that doesn't seem to make much sense.

I could go home and buy it, but it's quite a bit more expensive.

Any help appreciated,
Greg
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are asking for is support for a grey market product. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_market

Typically the reason that you pay more locally is it costs more to support/supply the product locally, due to economies of scale/exchange rates, shipping etc. There may be different product regulations in your country that add to the cost of the product or service. Example: Canadians get phone support in both English and French.

What I am saying may apply to both Applecare and the iMac. I would check before you buy.

Good luck, let us know what you come up with, if you don't get an answer here.

p.s. grey market isn't isolated to Apple. I'm personally dealing with the exact same issues with product supply for my business.
gregs656

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going to ask in another store, the people in the vegas store didn't seem to really know the answer. In my opinion, the fact that 'it's a 1-800 number' is neither here nor there. I might end up just getting it at home, and avoid the hassle. It was really useful with the hdd went on the iMac so better safe than sorry I guess.

Does any one have an email address for apple? My access to the net and phone support is sporadic at the moment. It shouldn't be a difficult question to answer.

Cheers,
Greg
tales
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my Macs AppleCare came from ASIA & the phone support works fine in the USA (when i dial the US support number)
gregs656

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clear this up. I bought it in the states, registered it in this country and it went through no problems. That is something I would certainly do again, saved a bit of money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: