123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to Mac - need help with keyboard/mouse (and other ?s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yekim

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: New to Mac - need help with keyboard/mouse (and other ?s) Reply with quote

I recently acquired 2 Mac Minis for free from a coworker. I've wanted a Mini for years now. They arrived just in time because my Windows XP desktop just got hit again with a virus which has made it unusable. Time to make the switch! Both are 2009 Minis I think. Both have 5 USB slots, a Firewire 800 connector, a mini-DVI connector and another, smaller type of video connector (not sure what the name is).

I have Mini #1 connected via Mini-DVI-standard DVI adapter to my flat screen TV. The display works well, although it's stretched. I'll try to adjust this once I get a keyboard and mouse working. That's my current project.

When Mini #1 boots it looks for a bluetooth mouse. When I plug in a USB PC mouse it still looks for the bluetooth mouse. I might later get an Apple wireless keyboard and mouse, but right now I'd just like to get the thing setup. At a local garage sale I got an Apple USB keyboard which partially works - page down works, but not page up. But I can't get the USB mouse recognized.

Mini #2 is identical looking to #1, but the desktop looks different. It has fewer icons along the bottom of the screen. The desktop background is gray. Looks like this one might have been a server. It doesn't look for a bluetooth mouse or keyboard...it just sits there. Obviously this one will need more work than #1.

My questions: How do I tell the Mini that I want to change from bluetooth to USB keyboard and mouse? Will a USB PC keyboard and mouse work - even if it is just temporarily? If I need to buy new ones, what bluetooth keyboards and mice work well with the Mini, and how would these be set up? I got no manuals with the computers. Are there PDF files of the manuals available? Would you recommend replacing the original OS with the latest?

Thanks in advance for any help

Mike
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to go to 'System Preferences' (in the Applications folder) there you'll find BlueTooth, toggle it OFF and it should stop searching for it.
Any USB mouse or keyboard should be recognized as soon as it is plugged in, some may require additional drivers, but basic functions should work right away.
If they are not being detected I'm at a loss as to why not.
The number of icons in the Dock (along the bottom) is a personal thing, same as the desktop backgrounds.
These are all customizable by the user.
DewGuy1999

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try plugging in the USB mouse before booting the mini? It may detect it that way.

If you look at the bottom of your minis you'll see there's a label with the basic model specs.
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is easier to first set up the Mac Mini without bluetooth, using traditional USB keyboards and mouse. Once you have it running, you can then configure the bluetooth components. I personally prefer to use only the Apple bluetooth keyboard and use the Microsoft laser mouse with its small usb dongle. Works great splitting it up that way.
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
yekim

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jb wrote:
You need to go to 'System Preferences' (in the Applications folder) there you'll find BlueTooth, toggle it OFF and it should stop searching for it.
Any USB mouse or keyboard should be recognized as soon as it is plugged in, some may require additional drivers, but basic functions should work right away.
If they are not being detected I'm at a loss as to why not.

The problem is that I can't get anything to move the mouse cursor, which stays firmly in the upper left corner of my screen. The bluetooth utility window pops up and stays searching for a bluetooth mouse until I shut the Mini back off. Is there a way to open windows, click buttons and save without using the mouse?

I power up the Mini with both the keyboard and mouse plugged into separate USB ports on the back of the computer. I have a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse which aren't recognized either when I power up. I'm not 100 percent sure they use bluetooth though.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may suggest, head to your local Mac/Apple vendor, and pick up Snow Leopard and install a fresh OS on the drives, make sure you format them first(from the install disc).

I recommend this because you have no iDea what is on these drives.

Otherwise, congratulations on the minis! I'm envious!

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
ReliantLion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have things on or around your Mini that could be interfering with the Bluetooth? I had a super slim DVD drive on mine, and the keyboard and mouse were not responsive. Drove me nuts until I realized the antennae was blocked.
yekim

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
If I may suggest, head to your local Mac/Apple vendor, and pick up Snow Leopard and install a fresh OS on the drives, make sure you format them first(from the install disc).

I recommend this because you have no iDea what is on these drives.

Otherwise, congratulations on the minis! I'm envious!

SC

I will get Snow Leopard tomorrow and load it after formatting the hard drive. I'll report back here with my results afterwards.

Thanks!
yekim

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

success!!!

I've got an Apple Pro Mouse working in the USB port. The problem was solved by using the mouse on a textured surface instead of a smooth glassy one. I guess the laser looks for signs of movement and needs a little pattern to track.

The keyboard is still a little weird though. The right shift key doesn't seem to do anything and the line up doesn't work. Line down works ok though.

The guy at the Apple store said this model Mini should have Snow Leopard already, and talked me out of buying it.

I think I hosed up the screen resolution on Mini #1. The screen looked stretched, so I changed resolution from 1280x1024 to a resolution that my flat screen did not support. The screen went all blue. Somehow it got saved and now I get the blue screen every time I boot it. Any idea how to boot it into a standard screen resolution?

This post is coming to you over Mini #2. I'm having fun poking around on it.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you didn't get any OS installation discs with the minis, then you can't install the OS. You also don't know what is already on the computers, so you really should do a format and install. At least that's my two cents.

SC

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
yekim

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
If you didn't get any OS installation discs with the minis, then you can't install the OS. You also don't know what is already on the computers, so you really should do a format and install. At least that's my two cents.

SC

I'll definitely get the latest OS from the Apple store soon. I have a few other accessories I want to buy there at the same time.

I'm just spending an afternoon here exploring the basics. I've not had much exposure to Apple and have lots to learn. I've been a long time Linux/BSD user though and think there are similarities in the underlying OS.

BSD/UNIX is the basis of the OS, isn't it?
ReliantLion

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider shopping around on the internet for accessories. Apple tends to stick around the MSRP, but many other places will be cheaper. Look at NewEgg, MonoPrice, and even Amazon. Buying things at an Apple store might be the ideal, if the prices match, and you can get a discount. Apple does offer a variety of discounts for students, government employees and whatnot.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yekim wrote:
I'll definitely get the latest OS from the Apple store soon. I have a few other accessories I want to buy there at the same time.

I'm just spending an afternoon here exploring the basics. I've not had much exposure to Apple and have lots to learn. I've been a long time Linux/BSD user though and think there are similarities in the underlying OS.

Well, yes and no. The basis of OS X is the NeXT OS, which is based on BSD UNIX.

SC

Make sure it has pins!
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yekim wrote:

Yekim, here's something that might be of interest...
http://www.amazon.com/Mac-OS-Unix-Geeks-Leopard/dp/059652062X/
yekim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
yekim wrote:

Yekim, here's something that might be of interest...
http://www.amazon.com/Mac-OS-Unix-Geeks-Leopard/dp/059652062X/

Thanks, JohnnyBoy,

I have several of the O'Reilly bestiary books. I'll grab the one you recommended as well.

I am definitely a long time UNIX geek. I even work for the company that invented it (though that happened long before I was hired)

Mike Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: