123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Running W7 in boot camp..on a separate drive possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Running W7 in boot camp..on a separate drive possible? Reply with quote

I've got a couple of WD "Passport" external HDD's lying around.

Are there any issues with running W7 in boot camp...but actually having W7 on a separate, external drive?
ReliantLion

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Better yet... Reply with quote

I might try this later today. But my question would be this. Can you install, say Windows 7, to an external drive on one Mac, and use it on another? This would be awesome to use if you had a very large USB 'pen drive'.
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: EXTERNAL USB HD WINDOW???? Reply with quote

Read this it may help explain what you want.
Also windows checks your hardware.
If you boot on another Mac that is
identical in every way, hardware wise, it may work.
Or not!
If your second Mac's hardware is different
you'll probably need to authenticate it again.
And again, and again, etc.
Mac mini, Model 1.1, 2.33 GHz C2D Proc
20" iMac G4 PPC
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm
EXT. HD:Lacie D2Quadra-1TB and WD Studio 2TB
Sometimes wish this mac would crash, or screw up or break, so I can get a newer one and upgrade my OS , but "Oh Well".

Last edited by DonCarlos on Sat May 26, 2012 1:43 am; edited 2 times in total
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: REply from SEO Services India Reply with quote

alex wrote:
Yes you are using external HDD in you notebook then you have to run in separate and different via USB its supportable easily because that one External Hard drive keep posting we will wait for your future updates.
Could you repeat that but in english please?
20" iMac G4 PPC
pmcd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Better yet... Reply with quote

ReliantLion wrote:
I might try this later today. But my question would be this. Can you install, say Windows 7, to an external drive on one Mac, and use it on another? This would be awesome to use if you had a very large USB 'pen drive'.

I thought Windows wouldn't boot from a usb hard drive?

philip
billb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Better yet... Reply with quote

pmcd wrote:
I thought Windows wouldn't boot from a usb hard drive
philip
Your correct it won't.
20" iMac G4 PPC
MJL

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 8 will runs from a USB pen drive, however.....

Windows activation checks the hardware and allocates some points to each part. Highest ranking has the MAC address of your network card(s) (WiFi and hard wired). So it just will not work on another computer after changing a few times (used too often).

I'm pretty annoyed with MSN at this moment, have Office 2011 for Mac and changed a HDD (after running CopyCatX which does a supposedly identical clone) and had to reactivate. Had to call MSN for activation. Feels like the activation of Office 2011 on OS X is far more aggresive than under Windows.
MJL

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some more navel gazing I think that it might be possible to run a virtual machine on an external drive. I am thinking here about using VMware Fusion. Normally the Virtual Machine will use an MAC address of the host but if I remember correctly you can also use the host with NAT and allocate a MAC address manually. This means that if you move the virtual machine to another computer with the same VMware fusion confiuration the VM (running windows) does not have any inkling it is on another machine.

I suggest to ask on the VMware forums if this is possible - I have for years been swapping an VMware XP installation from machine to machine however it is using an unlimited business XP license.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: