123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LCD Upgrade Time: Apple or Dell
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheModWiki.org

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: LCD Upgrade Time: Apple or Dell Reply with quote

I am looking forward to upgrading to an 1600x1200+ capable LCD this holiday season as I regularly do photoshopping/coding and can benefit from the extra real estate. However, I've got a few questions.

My Mac Mini is a rev. a with 32MB of VRAM so I was wondering if it would be considered laggy at rendering at high resolutions such as 1920 compared to a 1600 res.

Also, should I go the Apple route (20" for 699 w/ student discount) or Dell (24" for about the same price with discounts)

I have heard via this article http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000240070831/ that Dell will revamp their whole LCD line on Dec. 21st but the new LCD's will likely have a higher price. My goal is to come back from winter break with a new LCD so I can't wait for prices to drop.

If I could afford the Apple 23" I'd snatch it up fast.... the size of that thing makes the 20incher look like a 17. O_o

-Paul
Maxtor 300GB Ext. FW
Pioneer DVR-K05 SD

www.PaulStamatiou.com , 9rules Network
TheModWiki.org

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much for asking Apple for one... Sad

Quote:
Hi Paul -

Thanks very much for your e-mail. We evaluate product review requests on a case by case basis. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of requests we receive, we can't accommodate them all. We appreciate your interest in reviewing one of our Cinema Displays, but at this time will have to decline your request. If there are product questions we can help address, please do let us know.

Thanks, and enjoy your weekend -
Jessica

Maxtor 300GB Ext. FW
Pioneer DVR-K05 SD

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 20" Cinema Display is the nicest looking thing I have ever owned. I love looking at it.

I was thinking the same way as you before the purchase. I almost went with the 24" Dell.

I stand by my choice. I am very pleased.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also thinking, the only thing that attracted me to the Dell is the features for the dollar. Over time, we always get more features for the dollar. Where does that leave the Dell monitor down the road. I think that attraction will be lost.

With the Cinema Display, not only will you love the monitor from day one, but a few years down the road it will still be a good monitor, and it will still be beautiful.

I enjoy using my computer. The Cinema Display very much adds to that enjoyment.

Any guest is my home always comments about how nice it looks.
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the vote for a 20" Cinema for $699 with student discount. I'm also a little skeptical of the minis with 32MB VRAM being able to push 1920x1200, even though a lot of people are doing so with the 24" Dell and 23" Cinema.
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
xyzzy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Dell 2405 and it's been great so far. I'm mostly compressing and working with video, so I'm not certain about rendering in PS. However, it shouldn't make too much of a difference if you are after the real estate vs. image size. In other words, if you are rendering a 400x400 pixel image, performance shouldn't be much different on an overall larger display (unless you have a few videos spread around on that extra rea estate, lol).
slickrick

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't afford the 20" Apple Cinema and ended up buying a 19" Sony. It's something I sort of regret doing now. Enter Bandit's remark here of "I told you so." Wink

I would pick the 20" Cinema. They are gorgeous in person!
TheModWiki.org

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely leaning towards apple right now. Hopefully I will be able to cover most of the cost and let my parents handle the rest as an xmas present. Very Happy

thanks for the advice guys
Maxtor 300GB Ext. FW
Pioneer DVR-K05 SD

Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy the Dell and coat it in silver. I love the 20" and my friend bought one because of me. My mom is also buying the 24". It has a built-in card reader plus a USB hub. I know the 20" can rotate and can take extra inputs so I can play my roomie's gamecube on my monitor (we don't have a TV, so this is a godsend). I'd need a USB hub and a TV if I didn't have my Dell LCD. I don't really get the point of the Apple ones besides saying "It's an Apple and cost me a lot".
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
robhfla

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait until Wednesday to make up you mind. Wasn't the iMac display (the one with the iSight) just revamped? Rumors are going around that the Apple Displays will therefore be upgraded as well. So maybe on Tues??
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robhfla wrote:
Wait until Wednesday to make up you mind. Wasn't the iMac display (the one with the iSight) just revamped? Rumors are going around that the Apple Displays will therefore be upgraded as well. So maybe on Tues??

The Dell monitors are about to be upgraded as well. The 2405 is going to be replaced by the 2407. I don't know when this is happening, it may have already happened at CES.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
andp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
robhfla wrote:

The Dell monitors are about to be upgraded as well. The 2405 is going to be replaced by the 2407. I don't know when this is happening, it may have already happened at CES.

I really like the new base design Dell is using on their displays. Have you seen any pictures of the new 24"? I haven't run across any.
treadlightly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
Just buy the Dell and coat it in silver. I love the 20" and my friend bought one because of me. My mom is also buying the 24". It has a built-in card reader plus a USB hub. I know the 20" can rotate and can take extra inputs so I can play my roomie's gamecube on my monitor (we don't have a TV, so this is a godsend). I'd need a USB hub and a TV if I didn't have my Dell LCD. I don't really get the point of the Apple ones besides saying "It's an Apple and cost me a lot".

I haven't shopped for a monitor in a long time, and I don't know anything about the Dells, but it sounds like they're priced the same, so the "cost me a lot" comment isn't really valid. The Apple displays also come with USB and firewire. If I were shopping, I'd be taking the Apple over the Dell. Having a card reader doesn't mean anything to me. It's easier for me to pull out my usb cable, turn on my camera and hit "ok." I'm not one for trying to stick my big fingers into my camera to try to pull out the cards, I'd rather just leave them in the camera and not mess with them. Everyone's different, so it's better to just name the features/benefits so that people can decide for themselves.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treadlightly wrote:

Having a card reader doesn't mean anything to me.

I'm not a big fan of card readers or even ports built into the display. It's just something else to break.
iLife's a Bitch!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andp wrote:
Susurrus wrote:
robhfla wrote:

I really like the new base design Dell is using on their displays. Have you seen any pictures of the new 24"? I haven't run across any.

I think the new base looks much, much better than the previous models. But... the Dell monitors still won't win a beauty contest. Apple, Samsung and many others, have Dell beat as far as looks go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: