123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Review: NewerTech NuShelf mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Review: NewerTech NuShelf mini Reply with quote

Review: NewerTech NuShelf mini
Tuesday December 6, 2005

The NewerTech NuShelf mini is designed for mounting the Mac mini underneath a desk or shelf. This simple yet stylish clear acrylic mount allows you to free up valuable desktop space and protect your Mac mini at the same time. We also think the NuShelf mini would be ideal for mounting the Mac mini in a Home Entertainment Center above or below the TV. The NuShelf mini comes packaged in a small brown box from Other World Computing. In the box you will find the mount itself and four 1/2-inch screws for installation.

The NuShelf mini is made from a single 1/8-inch thick piece of clear acrylic plastic. It measures 7-inch wide by 6-1/2-inch deep by 3-1/2-inch tall. The front of the mount is completely open for easy access to the Mac mini's optical drive. There are openings that go down both sides of the mount for extra ventilation. The back of the mount is also completely open for easy access to all the Mac mini's ports and power button.

There are four anti-skid pads on the inside bottom of the mount. They do a relatively good job of holding the Mac mini in place while preventing it from sliding out of the mount. Our only gripe would be that it's still possible to push the Mac mini out of the mount if you press on it too hard. Perhaps NewerTech could have incorporated another fold in the plastic to form a small lip on the back and front for more security.

Installing the NuShelf mini underneath a desk or shelf is very simple. You will need to screw in four 1/2-inch screws into preset holes on top of the mount to secure it. This is easy to do, because the bottom of the mount cleverly includes four large openings to access the screws with a standard size Phillips head screwdriver. Once attached, the mount provides plenty of strength to support the three-pound Mac mini.

Overall, we can recommend this product to our readers and give it a score of 3.5 out of 4 stars. The NuShelf mini is another great Mac mini accessory from NewerTech. The NuShelf mini is available now and has a suggested retail price of $34.95.

http://www.123macmini.com/accessories/reviews/117.html
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to see they put those holes on the bottom for reaching the screws. I hate being crammed into tight spaces with a screwdriver. This thing looks like it would be a real pain in the ass to install without them. I would probably buy one of these for my desk if they cost under $20.
idek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This worked fine for me Smile It's all functional too, the cable that holds the plexiglass 'shelf' up is a usb cable to my usb switch.

curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to order one and use it above my 27" Viewsonic LCD. I go to OWC and they say it ships "Pending". It has shown this status for the past two 2-3 days. Does anyone know what this really means? I've never really ordered anything from OWC. I don't feel like going through the hassle of ordering it and giving out my credit information only to find that it's out of stock or on backorder.
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
I want to order one and use it above my 27" Viewsonic LCD. I go to OWC and they say it ships "Pending". It has shown this status for the past two 2-3 days. Does anyone know what this really means? I've never really ordered anything from OWC. I don't feel like going through the hassle of ordering it and giving out my credit information only to find that it's out of stock or on backorder.

Usually if you see "pending" for several days it means that it is out of stock.. This happened to me at OWC several months ago and I ended up cancelling my order after I called them and they did not seem to know when they would even get the product back in stock that I was trying to order..

The good news is that they were very courteous and had not actually charged my credit card, so deleting the order was easy...
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ack_mac wrote:

The good news is that they were very courteous and had not actually charged my credit card, so deleting the order was easy...

Thanks for the info. I'll probably hold off until they show Same Day or get the chance to give them a call.
Airborne2k4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: question Reply with quote

ok, I want to get this AND a ministack...

will the mini and the ministack fit into the box?
Brian
News Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: question Reply with quote

Airborne2k4 wrote:
ok, I want to get this AND a ministack...

will the mini and the ministack fit into the box?

The miniStack and Mac mini will not fit inside this mount at the same time. To the best of my recollection, there was only like an inch or so of clearance. Hope that helps some!
Airborne2k4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: thanx Reply with quote

thanks Brian...that helps alot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: