123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini on an iMac ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
microfox

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Mac mini on an iMac ? Reply with quote

If I buy an iMac, will it be possible to hook my mini on it and select which computer will be on the screen (with some sort of source button), compared to having another a second monitor ?

thanks

2.0GHz Core2Duo Mac mini, 2 Gb RAM,120Gb HD + 1Tb LaCie external HD, Hauppauge PVR 950 USB TV Tuner stick, running 10.8.2

iPad 3rd generation, 32Gb

IPod Touch 4th generation 32Gb
ReliantLion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same question. After researching a little, it seems this is how it works:
The iMac must be booted up, when you connect another computer (MUST be output from a Mini Displayport) to the iMac, it automatically switches to output mode.

In other words, there are no preference pane options. You can only enable it by plugging in the Mini, and it does not work with adapters (like DVI -> Mini Displayport). The cable is not included with either machine and cost probably $20 in store. I would search MonoPrice before buying.

Hope that helps.
MonoPrice Displayport Cables
EDIT: Actually might work with regular Displayports. Obviously, Apple wants you to use it with only their products, which is smart.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Mac mini on an iMac ? Reply with quote

microfox wrote:
If I buy an iMac, will it be possible to hook my mini on it and select which computer will be on the screen (with some sort of source button), compared to having another a second monitor ?

No, the iMac has no "Display Input" socket.

You can use the iMac's screen to extend the desktop of another Mac using ScreenRecycler, but the other Mac would have to have a desktop to extend. If a screen isn't connected to the Mini, then this won't be the case.
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming they're on the same network, can't you just use the inbuilt Screen Sharing?
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mooblie wrote:
Assuming they're on the same network, can't you just use the inbuilt Screen Sharing?

Yes, like ScreenRecycler that's another VNC solution -- but how would you set it up on the Mini, when it doesn't have a display connected? Confused
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temporarily connect a screen (and keyboard, mouse) to the mini, set SS up, then remove them?
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would work, but wouldn't you have to connect a screen and keyboard every time you booted the Mini to activate Screen Sharing?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once screen sharing is enabled on the mini its happy to run headless. I use mine all the time like that from the iMac in another room. I just connect to it via screensharing.

In fact I watch TV on my iMac now using the TV card in the mini over screen sharing

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
ReliantLion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys must have missed this new feature. The new iMac works as an external monitor when connected directly with a Displayport.
iMac Features
Quote:
Mini DisplayPort.
The Mini DisplayPort lets you connect an external display, including the Apple LED Cinema Display, to your iMac. On the 27-inch iMac, the same port offers input, too. So you can connect any external source that has DisplayPort output — including a MacBook or MacBook Pro — and use your iMac as a display.

Near the bottom where it explains the ports, it says the 27 inch can be used as an external monitor for another Mac computer.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Once screen sharing is enabled on the mini its happy to run headless. I use mine all the time like that from the iMac in another room. I just connect to it via screensharing.

I stand corrected! Embarassed But I learned something! Cool

Cypher wrote:
In fact I watch TV on my iMac now using the TV card in the mini over screen sharing

Oh, well now you're just showing off... Wink Very Happy
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReliantLion wrote:
You guys must have missed this new feature. The new iMac works as an external monitor when connected directly with a Displayport.
iMac Features

I stand corrected twice! Embarassed Embarassed

In fact, I'm gonna ask the admins to demote me from "Veteran Member" to "Jibbering Idiot"... Shocked Crying or Very sad
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes mine is the older iMac and my mini is in another room so wouldn't help me anyway. but definitely of use to the OP. I'm not sure how easy it is to swap between systems if your using it as a secondary input though. With screen sharing method its running in a window within the imac so effectively both systems are running simultaneously on the same system.

ReliantLion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While searching something similar, I found that Command + F2 should switch between the input mode and normal.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats similar to how a KVM would work.

I have 4 PC's connected to my Keyboard Mouse and Monitor at work and I have a similar setup at home with my old Windows PC and Laptop. I just use the key combo CTRL ALT 1-4 to select the system I want to use

camyam27

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Mac mini on an iMac ? Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
microfox wrote:

No, the iMac has no "Display Input" socket.

You can use the iMac's screen to extend the desktop of another Mac using ScreenRecycler, but the other Mac would have to have a desktop to extend. If a screen isn't connected to the Mini, then this won't be the case.

I learned new something on Screenrecycler.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: