123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Was my wireless network hacked?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CircuitR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Was my wireless network hacked? Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I get a bit lost when it comes to the wireless side of computers.
I have a Dlink wireless router with a WEP key on it (now a WPA) and I checked on the router to see if anything was connected and there was an unkown MAC address but it's IP was 0.0.0.0
Had someone got in?
I've changed to WPA now and also changed the routers password.
Any ideas?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you have MAC address filtering on, the unknown MAC address wouldn't have been able to be issued with an ip address hence the 0.0.0.0 They also may not have got passed your password and so wouldn't have been issued with an ip address.

I wouldn't worry about it especially as you have now switched to WPA and changed your password. With WPA it is now more secure than it was with WEP.

Its always worth keeping an eye on your logs though.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Assuming you have MAC address filtering on, the unknown MAC address wouldn't have been able to be issued with an ip address hence the 0.0.0.0 They also may not have got passed your password and so wouldn't have been issued with an ip address.

I wouldn't worry about it especially as you have now switched to WPA and changed your password. With WPA it is now more secure than it was with WEP.

Its always worth keeping an eye on your logs though.

WEP is very easy to crack, WPA takes some time to crack, and WPA2 just takes a bit more time, currently no common wireless security is safe against a determined network attacker.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
CircuitR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah at first I thought I'd been hacked, but the more I thought about it and read some info on here. I realised that they hadn't obtained the IP address they hadn't got in.
So it's better to be safe than sorry.
Cheers
Blair
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: