123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teardowns of New Mac mini Posted
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Teardowns of New Mac mini Posted Reply with quote

Teardowns of New Mac mini Posted
Wednesday, June 16, 2010
Posted by: Glenn

iFixit and Macminicolo.net have posted teardowns of the new Mac mini. Both teardowns provide numerous pictures and explain how to take apart the new kid on the block. So, here are some of the changes and highlights noted from the iFixit teardown:

- The Mac mini's unibody top enclosure is machined from a single block of aluminum, with a twist off rubber base that exposes RAM components for easy access. "Removing the RAM is very simple this time around, requiring only the simple prying of two clips." The bottom cover also provides a radio window in the metal case for WiFi and Bluetooth.

- "There are two blind holes in the case of the Mini that are meant for the ends of Apple's custom U-shaped logic board removal tool. We just used two Torx screwdrivers. We call them the 'Mac mini logic board removal tool."

- The new Mac mini's power supply provides "a minuscule 7 Amps at 12V. Compare that to the 25.8 Amps at 12V cranked out by the 27 inch iMac, and you can understand how they fit the power supply inside the Mini."

- "The fan doesn't have too much work to do, since the new Mac Mini is the most energy-efficient desktop, running on less than 10 watts at idle! In keeping with its space saving design, the fins directing air toward the vent hole are slanted to allow for better fan placement."

- The fan cools the CPU and CPU via a wraparound heat sink tube that wicks heat toward the fins and blows it out the wide slot on the back panel.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1529.html
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I love the new design, just want to see the refurb price now, the HDD is pretty simple to get to now it seems.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! I didn't know that the Server minis used different cases that didn't even have the slots for an optical drive.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
dag777

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, well it seems to me, that changing the HDD was much easier in the last MacMini

Mac Mini 2.53 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB XT 7200 RPM HDD

iPhone 3GS 32GB

G4 1,25 DP PowerMac
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes change out of the hdd in these will be a task. Looks like you can break more with this one. Also if you want to take the hdd out you will be handling the power supply.

Since it is a switching power supply you can shock yourself big time. I would advise anyone that wants to take a new mini apart to keep it unplugged for more then 1 hr.

It also looks like breaking the power supply when you put in a new hdd is a real possibility.

I am planning on getting a server.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
Yes change out of the hdd in these will be a task. Looks like you can break more with this one. Also if you want to take the hdd out you will be handling the power supply.

Also Philip, I suspect that the old "Will I invalidate my warranty?" question will be a lot trickier to answer when it comes to HDD swaps on this new machine...
dag777

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
philiparcario wrote:

Also Philip, I suspect that the old "Will I invalidate my warranty?" question will be a lot trickier to answer when it comes to HDD swaps on this new machine...

I think this time it's very easy, you break your guarantee for sure if you change the HDD Embarassed

iPhone 3GS 32GB

G4 1,25 DP PowerMac
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
philiparcario wrote:

I will say that without a doubt changing the HD will invalidate the warranty of this machine. If it isn't discussed at all in the manual then it's considered at your discretion and liability.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, integrating the temperature sensor with the HDD seems about as subtle as soldering the CPU to the logic board... Wink
Squid3660

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, seeing the comparison pics of the old and new mini in the iFixit article conjured up thoughts of the different variations of the NCC-1701 Enterprise.

If the Mac Mini were a starship, I think the previous gen mini's would be considered Galaxy class. These new mini's are definitely Sovereign class.

And for the record, 1701-D was/is/shall always be my favorite Enterprise.

My opinion on this new mac mini has changed from good to bad since learning about it Tuesday. I have heard many more cons than pros... not only about the design, but about the price and the specs as well. I think this new mini is too radical a change in the wrong direction. I'm going to have to pass on it, regardless of the awesomeness of the built in power supply.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Yeah, integrating the temperature sensor with the HDD seems about as subtle as soldering the CPU to the logic board... Wink

I just read about this at XLR8YOURMAC. I guess it's the same deal as with the iMacs. It seems that you can upgrade the drive so long as it's the same brand, if not series...

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
unblowupable5

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in love. Plan to pick mine up next week.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
JohnnyBoy wrote:

I just read about this at XLR8YOURMAC. I guess it's the same deal as with the iMacs. It seems that you can upgrade the drive so long as it's the same brand, if not series...

SC

yeah this is why I am so pissed off at apple. the imac is wonderful but can't put an ssd in it and no esata port. so big hdd no fast hdd no raid0. a real fu..

looks like no ssd's in mac mini's how about that for fu. I don't feel like spending 699 for a base unit and voiding the warranty just to find out what I can do to it. I am going to let others be the leader on this unit. my hack's will all void the warranty so why bother just like the iMac.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:

Since it is a switching power supply you can shock yourself big time. I would advise anyone that wants to take a new mini apart to keep it unplugged for more then 1 hr.

It also looks like breaking the power supply when you put in a new hdd is a real possibility.

I am planning on getting a server.

I don't think keeping it unplugged for 1hr will make much difference, if there's a capacitor it can shock and kill you decades after being power off. Now to be safe you can always ground yourself like you are supposed to when handling any type of electronics.

Also as far as upgrading internal components, unless Apple makes a specific point in their included legal documentation it is assumed that the owner has that right, but if the owner should cause any wort of damage or the added/upgraded part cause any damage the warranty is void as it is currently written, so check the warranty first, Apple may have changed it on this one.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
dag777

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
Smithcraft wrote:
JohnnyBoy wrote:

SC

yeah this is why I am so pissed off at apple. the imac is wonderful but can't put an ssd in it and no esata port. so big hdd no fast hdd no raid0. a real fu..

looks like no ssd's in mac mini's how about that for fu. I don't feel like spending 699 for a base unit and voiding the warranty just to find out what I can do to it. I am going to let others be the leader on this unit. my hack's will all void the warranty so why bother just like the iMac.

no SSD in the new MacMini, no new MacMini, sorry apple ...

iPhone 3GS 32GB

G4 1,25 DP PowerMac
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: