123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils All New Mac mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Not sure Reply with quote

I love the refresh, but this is making Macs seem less friendly to people thinking about buying all over again, I think that the price increase is going to hurt Apple more than they think, I'm not a fan of the price, but the design (excluding SD slot placement) is nice.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The online Apple Store system is completely overloaded. I tried about 15 times to login to see my order status, but I keep getting "A technical difficulty has prevented us from processing your request.".

Damn you, iPhone 4! Laughing

P.S.: still no new 123Macmini.com header? Wink
2nd gen. iPod shuffle (1 GiB)
unblowupable5

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Upgrade HD? Reply with quote

I'm in love with it, except that it doesn't appear that the internal hard drive is user upgradeable. I'm referencing the user's manual...

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Mac_mini_Mid2010_User_Guide.pdf

It only shows how to increase your memory. I'll be picking one up, but need to rethink where I'm going to store my iTunes library.

Can Time Machine be set up to back up an external drive? Meaning, if I put my iTunes library on an external drive, and then back it up automatically with Time Machine to a second external drive? I've only ever backed up an internal drive with TM.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade HD? Reply with quote

unblowupable5 wrote:

Can Time Machine be set up to back up an external drive? Meaning, if I put my iTunes library on an external drive, and then back it up automatically with Time Machine to a second external drive? I've only ever backed up an internal drive with TM.

Time machine could backup external drives too, you just have to configure it in TM settings and tell it which external HDDs you would like backed up.

I know many people are iffy about the higher price and lack of DVD drive, but if your ok with both, maybe the Mini server would be a better choice since it already has 1TB installed (you just have to set it up as a RAID 0), and both are 7200rpm, so not much to upgrade there. You would still have to spend on an external DVD drive though. ...just a point of view.
myminirocks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is pretty clear that the smart money is on the server edition, but I am scratching my head as to what Apple's underlying intensions are here? You know there always is a hidden agenda to EVERYTHING Apple does, (Think secret 802.11n card lying dormant in models, think renaming the iBook and then the iBook store coming out etc) So why do they want more people on the Server Software?

Also, does anyone know a good reference to the differences between Server and non server OS's. I would like to know. I did have a read on the Apple site itself but it really only talked about iCal/Address book etc.

My brother bought the older server edition and he has become rather frustrated with the lack of optical drive, I guess it is one of those things you never really notice how often you use until it is gone.... like thumbs....
Elgato EyeTV Diversity
16G iPhone 3G
unblowupable5

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade HD? Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
unblowupable5 wrote:

Time machine could backup external drives too, you just have to configure it in TM settings and tell it which external HDDs you would like backed up.

I know many people are iffy about the higher price and lack of DVD drive, but if your ok with both, maybe the Mini server would be a better choice since it already has 1TB installed (you just have to set it up as a RAID 0), and both are 7200rpm, so not much to upgrade there. You would still have to spend on an external DVD drive though. ...just a point of view.

Good point, but it's going to be used as a Home Theater Mac, so I want it to have the DVD drive so I can ditch my old player. I'm trying to minimize the number of components in my setup. I think I'll just go with an external firewire drive and hide it behind my TV cabinet. Will probably get 1 1TB disk for that and then get a 2TB disk for time machine backups. Thanks
somefreak90

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could get one, but I still have a functioning 2007 mini and a MacBook Pro. Still very very very very very very very very very tempting. The fact that it's easy to upgrade comes as a surprise to me, and I never expected an SD card slot.

My only issue with it is that the SD card slot's on the back in a too-inaccessible area. But other than, that...
Squid3660

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish they had put the cd/dvd slot in the back too. The front of the mini looks so cluttered with that horizontal slot for loading discs. Quite the eyesore. Can you imagine how horrible it would look with an SD slot or USB port on the front? Eck! Everyone whining about the SD slot in the back obviously have no taste or sense of feng shui, and should not be owning a Mac in the first place.

javascript:emoticon('Razz') (that was all sarcasm for the slow[er] folks.)
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the new design and features. In fact, I just ordered a server. Very Happy
NRecob

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't like it....

Don't give a rat's behind about HDMI/SD card slots (Eyefi makes an SD card slot USELESS for me)--would rather have 5 USB ports (still no USB3?) and the wider form factor-- this will be harder to stand on it's side without falling...and can't forget the $100 price hike....and a 2.4GHz dual core processor (instead of a 2.53)--even in the server it's only 2.66 GHz still (even so, the server version is a FAR better buy IMO)......

Just not seein' it but have to go the the Apple store/Fry's etc and get it in my hands--if I get the talked about "laptop with no screen" vibe instead of "brick" vibe (which I REALLY like) I'll have to pick up the previous generation--hopefully with a nice price reduction as it's now an "old" model. Sometimes "older" is better Wink
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NRecob wrote:
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't like it....

I might have to agree on design. I picked up a server version to replace the previous gen server, and I'm not so sure I'm liking the look - it looks to flat and metal like. I do love the HDMI and SD updates since I'm using it as a media center as well, and now I won't have to worry about using an HDMI dongle and an audio and video cable. I know I'm complaining that it's to metal like, but do like the fact it's all metal now. ...it's just something with the design; it almost doesn't look like a computer anymore, but rather an oversized AppleTV. It's just wider and weird looking and it somehow looks cooler in pictures than it does close to a TV setup. It's hard describing Confused

...anyways, I am happy with the purchase, and I'm sure I'll grow to like the design.
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too broke down and got one today - a base model. It doesn't make sense to order an upgraded one. Either get the base model or get the server like everyone else has said. Yes, I do realize that overall the server is the better option. But being that I'm not working, I had to do this kind of on a budget, besides, I do still play a fair amount of dvds and I'd like to be able to finally get rid of the dvd player.

Sure, it does have its shortcomings like some on here have mentioned. However, it is also a huge step forward for the Mini, that many of us thought was going to be retired just a couple of years ago. I love that it has hdmi and plays nicely with my 62" Toshiba dlp. Out of the box, I had a hard time keeping a wifi connection. The connection would be good for a few minutes, then all of a sudden I would lose it and couldn't reconnect. The only way I found I was able to reconnect with the Airport Extreme was to turn off Airport on the Mini and then turn it back on again. It then found the AE but dropped it again after a few minutes. Made doing the initial updates a slow process. Once I did get all the initial software updates installed, it seemed to keep its connection to the AE. Not sure if it was an issue with the Mini, or the signal, but I haven't had any problems really with this newer AE.

Besides that, sd slot does me no good at the moment - if it does support up to a 2tb sd card, things may get interesting in the future. But I'm sure I'll have a new Mini or something else long before I see a 2tb sd card. I don't miss the 1 usb at all, I actually don't use any of them at the moment for the Mini in this location. Audio out does work on both hdmi and optical. Out of the box, only way to switch between the two is in system prefs - there is an app that should be able to fix that, I've got it on another machine but cant think what its called at the moment. Haven't had a chance to push it to its limits to see how warm it gets. I'm sure I'll have more to say about it soon.
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
myminirocks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey California mini, I would be interested to know the app you are refering to (audio hijack maybe?) In my application the ability to output audio over both hdmi and optical will be of great advantage, even better if it can be individually selected one or the other on the fly.

I have spent some serious dime recently on audio gear and don't want to have the hdmi into the tv and then tv to the amp, therefore using the DAC in the TV, I will need to be able to know that I can still output optical from the mini into a seperate external DAC.

Any little tests you can do RE this would be much appreciated.

Side question.... Is it feasible to just be able to walk into a store in the state and walk out with a mini? In Oz you would almost certainly need to order one in a few days before hand.
Elgato EyeTV Diversity
16G iPhone 3G
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

myminirocks wrote:
Hey California mini, I would be interested to know the app you are refering to (audio hijack maybe?) In my application the ability to output audio over both hdmi and optical will be of great advantage, even better if it can be individually selected one or the other on the fly.

I have spent some serious dime recently on audio gear and don't want to have the hdmi into the tv and then tv to the amp, therefore using the DAC in the TV, I will need to be able to know that I can still output optical from the mini into a seperate external DAC.

Any little tests you can do RE this would be much appreciated.

Side question.... Is it feasible to just be able to walk into a store in the state and walk out with a mini? In Oz you would almost certainly need to order one in a few days before hand.

Sorry, I was so tired last night, I could hardly keep my eyes open to type that up, let alone think of the name of an app that is just 'there' and works and I never have to mess with. The app I was referring to is SoundSource, its the 2nd selection down on that page. I haven't used it on the new Mini yet, but it has worked flawlessly on the other two, don't think this one would be any different. Sounds like we have a similar setup in terms of audio. I've got hdmi going to the tv and toslink going to the receiver. I use the Mini for video/audio and audio only and don't always require the tv to be on. Works perfectly for this, but of course I do need to turn the tv on to switch the output. This just makes it simpler to do by not having to go to system prefs to do it. I'll test this out today and report my findings.

As far as availability goes, I was able to do just that, walk in and pick one up. I got a base model, so those and the server should be readily available. Any special configuration would probably have to be ordered. Memory upgrades alone are done in store, but I wouldn't advise it since it is so simple to get to the memory now. But I do also have the advantage of living in the Bay Area and having 15 Apple Stores, including the Company Store, within a short driving distance. If one didn't have it, I'd just go the another. And I never buy in the Apple store either, I always get refurbished online. But I just couldn't wait for this one. And I took advantage of the educational discount as well, so it wasn't all bad. Laughing

***EDIT*** Just verified, SoundSource works fine to allow switching audio output sources from the menu bar instead of having to go to system prefs. Also allows separate control of audio and system alerts. Hope this helps.
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
myminirocks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx Californiamini, I D/L soundsoirce and had a play, looks like it will do just fine.

I also managed to get about 2 hrs of quiet house a few days ago (the mrs took the kids out and I was sick so at home from work) I had a really good play with remote buddy and noticed you can add the sound input/output to the menu allowing you to easily select/switch between outputs with the remote. This might be of interest to you?

I also FINALLY managed to put together a combination of AppleScript and key strokes in to a remote buddy custom behaviour that now seemlessly and instantly switches between plex and eyetv yeah!!!

Now I just need to pick up a new mini and my mini HTPC journey will just about be complete! (I think I may have said that before some time.....)
Elgato EyeTV Diversity
16G iPhone 3G
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: