123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cable mess - How do you manage your cables?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mldot.be
Member
Member


Joined: 16 Oct 2005
Posts: 52
Location: Belgium

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Cable mess - How do you manage your cables? Reply with quote

Hi there,

Like almost every tidy computer user I have problems with cables. My current workspace at home is really a mess. I have to manage a Mac Mini (well duh) with monitor and speakers, a Dell laptop in a docking station with an external HD and DVD-writer and a switch. All those cables are just on the floor, wired into each other. Not so tidy you know.

Picture 1 and Picture 2

I'm thinking of this simple IKEA solution. Cheap and easy to build under my desk.

So my question. How do you manage all your cables?

-Maarten
_________________
Mac Mini G4 1.5 GHz // 512MB RAM // 80GB HD // Combo // Tiger 10.4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cinemafia
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 26 Sep 2005
Posts: 294

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use black velcro straps mostly...they're not elegant, but they help. And yeah, Ikea has some nice cable management tools!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2005
Posts: 5391
Location: Dunwoody, GA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some 1/2" and 1" Gray wire loom for organizing my cables a few months ago. I got it from CableOrganizer.com. You can also get the loom in Black, White, Teal, Blue, Red, Yellow, Neon Pink, Purple, Beige, Neon Green, and Neon Pink. I think Lowes and Home Depot also sell cable loom in black. Velcro tie straps like cinemafia recommends are another good solution. Ties are good if you move around your cables a lot. Loom is better suited for a static setup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mldot.be
Member
Member


Joined: 16 Oct 2005
Posts: 52
Location: Belgium

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, seems pratical those Looms.

I think a combination of that IKEA hanger for under the desk and those Looms will do fine. Then I can put all the adaptor blocks in the hanger and strap all the cables from the hanger to the power supply in the wall in 1 or 2 Looms.

Thx.
_________________
Mac Mini G4 1.5 GHz // 512MB RAM // 80GB HD // Combo // Tiger 10.4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
xyzzy
Member
Member


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 118
Location: Alexandria, KY

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've cut a significant amount of cable clutter by using those self adhesive routing clips. They have them at various home improvement stores. They are an opaque white with a racheting clip and I stick them at various points along the back of the desk and down the backs of the desk legs. You just separate the two ends, pop the cable(s) in and rachet it down. You can get a handful of them for a couple of bucks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xyzzy
Member
Member


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 118
Location: Alexandria, KY

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread prompted me to take a pic of my desk. Of course, I have cabinets to hide most of the cables behind if I need to, but I do route things carefully to get a relatively clean look.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mldot.be
Member
Member


Joined: 16 Oct 2005
Posts: 52
Location: Belgium

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you hide the power supply? Looking very tidy btw. Smile

-Maarten
_________________
Mac Mini G4 1.5 GHz // 512MB RAM // 80GB HD // Combo // Tiger 10.4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
xyzzy
Member
Member


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 118
Location: Alexandria, KY

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mldot.be wrote:
Where did you hide the power supply? Looking very tidy btw. Smile

-Maarten


The brick is strapped to the back of one of the cabinets. On your desk I would think you could mount it to the underside of the desk. In fact, if you mounted a power strip to the underside of your desk, you could eliminate most of the clutter on the floor so long as you strap down the cables so they don't loop down to the floor.

A desk with legs like the one you have can look incredibly clean with good cable management. Let us know what you come up with!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 5985
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable mess - How do you manage your cables? Reply with quote

mldot.be wrote:
Hi there,

Like almost every tidy computer user I have problems with cables. My current workspace at home is really a mess. I have to manage a Mac Mini (well duh) with monitor and speakers, a Dell laptop in a docking station with an external HD and DVD-writer and a switch. All those cables are just on the floor, wired into each other. Not so tidy you know.

Picture 1 and Picture 2

I'm thinking of this simple IKEA solution. Cheap and easy to build under my desk.

So my question. How do you manage all your cables?

-Maarten


That Ikea solution would work well for your desk.

I use zip ties and to keep wire runs attached to my desk I use the little clips that are designed to hold coax cable in place along a cable run (they are basically a half circle with a nail on one end. You hammer the nail into your desk) These things are pretty useful, and strong. Between zip ties and those clips you can do whatever you need and its cheap. (But is also very permanent).

That Ikea thing looks good for a quick clean up and if you are farting around with you cables often. It looks convenient. Your desk is long enough you could probably use 2 of them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brian
News Moderator


Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 544
Location: Charlotte, NC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xyzzy wrote:
This thread prompted me to take a pic of my desk. Of course, I have cabinets to hide most of the cables behind if I need to, but I do route things carefully to get a relatively clean look.



Very nice! You need to submit that picture in the photo gallery. Wink
_________________
Brian
123Macmini.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Carl
New Member
New Member


Joined: 06 Dec 2005
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xyzzy wrote:
I've cut a significant amount of cable clutter by using those self adhesive routing clips. They have them at various home improvement stores.


I have some of those behind my desk. The only problem is they always seem to loose their stick and fall off. I probably need to clean the surface better with some rubbing alcohol or something before applying them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xyzzy
Member
Member


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 118
Location: Alexandria, KY

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl wrote:
xyzzy wrote:
I've cut a significant amount of cable clutter by using those self adhesive routing clips. They have them at various home improvement stores.


I have some of those behind my desk. The only problem is they always seem to loose their stick and fall off. I probably need to clean the surface better with some rubbing alcohol or something before applying them.


I've had that happen to a few of the larger ones where I have a fair number of cables routed through them. What I did was shoot a small screw through the base and into the wood of my desk. They ain't movin' now! Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 2767
Location: Virginia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you guys do, don't use those darn plastic cable ties. I had to move around some of my cables and undo them with a pocketknife. I accidentally cut into two wires. Sad


_________________
1.25GHz Mac Mini / 1.8GHz iMac G5 / 2.0GHz C2D Mac mini (2009)
4GB iPod mini / 2G iPod shuffle / 16GB iPhone 3G
Apple TV 2
iLife's a Bitch!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 5985
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
Whatever you guys do, don't use those darn plastic cable ties. I had to move around some of my cables and undo them with a pocketknife. I accidentally cut into two wires. Sad



LOL, you should use side cutters (scissors will do).

I buy them by the bag. 1000 per bag. I go through them like candy. I do instrumentation/computer network installs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 2767
Location: Virginia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:


LOL, you should use side cutters (scissors will do).

I buy them by the bag. 1000 per bag. I go through them like candy. I do instrumentation/computer network installs.


Yea I know. I was too lazy to go downstairs and get them. Live and learn. Laughing

Edit - You know scissors can be a pain in the ass if you have a bunch of cables and the ties are tight. You really need a sharp tip.
_________________
1.25GHz Mac Mini / 1.8GHz iMac G5 / 2.0GHz C2D Mac mini (2009)
4GB iPod mini / 2G iPod shuffle / 16GB iPhone 3G
Apple TV 2
iLife's a Bitch!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



      

Shop:  Apple Store  |  Refurbished Macs  |  Refurbished iPads  |  MacConnection  |  Mac Mini Vault  |  Other World Computing

MK 1 Studio Mac mini Racks  |  Crucial Mac Memory  |  Top Free Mac Apps  |  Top Paid Mac Apps



123Macmini.com is an independent publication and has not been authorized, sponsored, or approved by Apple Computer, Inc.
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owners.
Copyright © 2011 123Macmini.com. All Rights Reserved.