123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils All New Mac mini
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Apple Unveils All New Mac mini Reply with quote

Apple Unveils All New Mac mini
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Posted by: Glenn

Apple today unveiled a completely redesigned Mac mini, featuring up to twice the graphics performance, a new HDMI port and a new SD card slot, all in an amazingly compact aluminum enclosure. Mac mini is the world’s most energy efficient desktop and starting at $699, is the most affordable way to enjoy Mac OS X, iLife or Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server.

"The sleek, aluminum Mac mini packs great features, versatility and value into an elegant, amazingly compact design," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "With twice the graphics performance, HDMI support and industry-leading energy efficiency, customers are going to love the new Mac mini."

Created with the unibody construction process pioneered by Apple, the new Mac mini features a compact aluminum enclosure just 7.7 inches square and 1.4 inches thin. A new integrated power supply eliminates the need for an external power adapter, reducing overall system volume by 20 percent and keeping cable clutter to a minimum. A removable panel underneath provides quick access for memory expansion. Mac mini is incredibly versatile, effortlessly connecting to existing peripherals such as mice, keyboards and digital displays, while the new HDMI output connects Mac mini to an HDTV and the new SD card slot enables easy transfer of photos and videos from a digital camera.

Inside its sleek, compact enclosure, the new Mac mini includes the fastest integrated graphics processor on the market today. With 48 processing cores, the NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics processor delivers up to twice the graphics performance of its predecessor, making Mac mini ideal for graphics intensive applications or visually rich games. Mac mini comes standard with a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 320GB hard and 2GB of RAM for $699. With twice the graphics performance, the new Mac mini is still the world's most energy efficient desktop. The new Mac mini reduces power consumption by an incredible 25 percent to less than 10W at idle, less than half the power required by competing systems. Mac mini meets Energy Star 5.0 requirements and achieves EPEAT Gold status. The new aluminum enclosure is highly recyclable and Mac mini uses PVC-free components and cables, contains no brominated flame retardants and features material-efficient system and packaging designs.

Mac mini comes with Mac OS X Snow Leopard, the world’s most advanced operating system, and iLife, Apple’s innovative suite of applications for managing photos, making movies and creating and learning to play music. Snow Leopard builds on a decade of OS X innovation and success with hundreds of refinements, new core technologies and out of the box support for Microsoft Exchange. iLife features iPhot, to easily organize and manage photos; iMovie with powerful easy-to-use new features such as Precision Editor, video stabilization and advanced drag and drop; and GarageBand which introduces a whole new way to help you learn to play piano and guitar.

Mac mini with Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server fulfills all the server needs of a workgroup or small business including email, calendar, file serving, Time Machine backup, Wiki Server, Podcast Producer and more. Mac mini with Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server uses less than 11W of power at idle, a fraction of the power consumed in comparison to typical entry-level tower servers. Mac mini with Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server is faster than before with a 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, two 500GB hard drives now running at 7200 rpm, 4GB of RAM and supports unlimited clients for $999.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1526.html
YesHD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome with a capital A! Cool
mikebw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea who will be the first to make a wall mount for the new case design? It appears to be a fair amount thinner than the last model.
Cakes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only dagger is the higher price point. I may have to wait for refurbs but I DO WANT!

I wonder how many Foxconn "employees" died to bring us this beauty?
Fred76

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The integrated power supply and sleek small format are two nice unanticipated extra's that may tip me over the edge, provided I can get my better half to agree Wink
Denon AVR-3312 with Airplay
scoobyrox

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: no blu-ray still Reply with quote

Too bad there's no blu-ray option still. Easier to upgrade memory is a plus. Not much change to the cpu. Consider the upgrade of hdmi, graphic card, aluminum enclosure and smaller form factor, the price increase is justified. However, it is getting to be unaffordable for some people out there.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait... so it's thinner, it has the 320M, still has an optical drive AND the power supply is built-in? Shocked

Another good news: it supports up to 8 GiB RAM, it still has the FireWire 800 port. The only bit of bad news: it lost a USB port (back to four ports instead of five).

The weird thing is, the Mac mini also gained an SD card slot but it's in the back. Confused

mikebw wrote:
Any idea who will be the first to make a wall mount for the new case design? It appears to be a fair amount thinner than the last model.

I'm working on it right now! Very Happy

It's the same size as Time Capsule (7.7 x 7.7 x 1.4 inches).

Just ordered mine! Cool
2nd gen. iPod shuffle (1 GiB)

Last edited by Yvan256 on Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:29 am; edited 4 times in total
Bachiano

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is my credit card ??? Laughing
Bachiano

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it is thinner but it is also wider.
It won't fit where my current mini lives.
I'm going to have to rearrange some things.
Bachiano

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: no blu-ray still Reply with quote

scoobyrox wrote:
Too bad there's no blu-ray option still.

Why Why Why not ??? Rolling Eyes
Bachiano

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it had blu ray already it would be the best media center in the universe.
I would hook it straight to my front projector and I'd be a happy camper for many years to come.

They are going to drag this out another year. Evil or Very Mad
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it use the same memory modules as my 2.0GHz 2009 Mini? Confused I've checked the specs of the unibody Mini but I can't remember what kind of modules I fitted to my current Mini...

[Edit: yeah, I just checked and it's the same memory. So if I bought a unibody Mini with 2 gigs, I could swap over the 4 gigs that I've got in this machine. Hmmm...]
rbldwn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As one who is still sporting the 1.6ghz model this makes for a very tempting unit! Since I'm not a "gamer" how might this handle game play (ie Steam/Valve). My current Mini is my HTPC but at 1.6ghz it's not the speed demon it once was.

That said, this looks sweeeeeeet! It might have to become an early xmas present to myself.
scoobyrox

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: You are right. Reply with quote

Bachiano wrote:
If it had blu ray already it would be the best media center in the universe.
I would hook it straight to my front projector and I'd be a happy camper for many years to come.

They are going to drag this out another year. Evil or Very Mad

With the inclusion of the hdmi port and how they are advertising it, they are touting it as a media center. Without the blu-ray drive, it really makes it incomplete.

I remember Steve Jobs did mention that blu-ray technology is still too expensive. I guess the cost is still too high to include it. That's unfortunate.
uncola

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just made the plunge and ordered the server version. going to run plex and boxee on it. woo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: