123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini in Short Supply Ahead of Refresh?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think apple will never give blu ray.

They are going to upgrade apple tv and if you want 1080p you will stream it from iTunes. BTW that is not what I want but Apple can make a boatload of cash that way. Like crack the first hit will be free so to speak " a 99 dollar apple tv". Then maybe 5 bucks a movie that you don't own.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
adv2k169

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:

They are going to upgrade apple tv and if you want 1080p you will stream it from iTunes. BTW that is not what I want but Apple can make a boatload of cash that way. Like crack the first hit will be free so to speak " a 99 dollar apple tv". Then maybe 5 bucks a movie that you don't own.

screw that! Generally I'm a fan of iTunes but they don't always have the best prices. $20 for HD version of Toy Story , when I can buy the Blu-ray for about that price with tons of features.
LittleEskimo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The past few days I have been getting so antsy about the supposed refresh. Probably because I have been waiting for this since January to buy my first computer for college that is next spring. Thankfully/hopefully these shortages are indeed evidence of a refresh coming soon.

Does anybody know how long it usually takes for say amazon to get new versions of apple computers. Because buying the mini and extended warranty from amazon is much more attractive in price, especially without the tax.

My Mini wishlist:
3.06ghz processor (if we are lucky enough to get the base imac's cpu, would be an upgrade. I'd buy it)
320m graphics
500 or greater hd
updated mini displayport (preferably HDMI, but I don't think it's going to happen)

Blu-ray will not happen unless 10 years down the road goes by and it's still standard.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:

They are going to upgrade apple tv and if you want 1080p you will stream it from iTunes... Then maybe 5 bucks a movie ...

I would never go for that, as well as paying to stream (or download) the movie you would also have to factor in the cost of the bandwidth. I'm supposedly on an unlimited service but once I go over some download limit my ISP has set I'm judged to be abusing the system "Fair Usage Policy" and have to suffer with an 90% reduction in bandwidth for the next 5 hours. I've just downloaded the Apple Keynote not realising that it was 1.3GB so now I'll be capped for the rest of the night Sad

Having a streaming service would never interest me as I'd be running capped every time I dared to watch a movie. If downloading was an option I could download in the middle of the night to watch the next night but thats a lot of messing around.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to be wrong Because I prefer apple gear and apple osx. if streaming is what they are going to push. I would have to leave the world of mac products and cross over to pc/microsoft. I am over 50 I really don't care about mobile gear.
I have my own routine and the car is a place for music not dvd's and the net. I don't walk around plugged in. Now in my house I am plugged in. I am on and off the computers constantly. the shift to small mobile gear is not welcome for me. Of course from a business viewpoint it is brilliant.

CascadeHush

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about to buy a Mac Mini to develop software using X Code and I'd like to be able to use two DVI/VGA monitors. It sounds to me like I'd be better off with the current generation, if we are going to lose one monitor output to HDMI.

I can see why HDMI would be good for HTPCs but it's not good to me.

So the question is should I buy one now, or maybe hope to get the current generation at a discount when the new models come out (assuming I can still find one).
blowabs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....June 7th came and went and no macmini overhaul.....are we safe..... Smile.....?
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CascadeHush wrote:
I'm about to buy a Mac Mini to develop software using X Code and I'd like to be able to use two DVI/VGA monitors. It sounds to me like I'd be better off with the current generation, if we are going to lose one monitor output to HDMI.

I can see why HDMI would be good for HTPCs but it's not good to me.

So the question is should I buy one now, or maybe hope to get the current generation at a discount when the new models come out (assuming I can still find one).

The plus side is the current 2.66ghz is 950 usd at the apple store. you may get one as low as 700 in a month.

pokeeto2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@LittleEskimo

Thats about what I was hoping to see on the next Mac Mini Refresh. Apple Does have a habit of applying the Higher Clocked Processor from a previous generation and using that on the base model of an upcoming generation. The next Base Model Mac Mini Can run Standard off the the 2.53Ghz or 2.6Ghz chip.

My Prediction for the Next Mac Mini.
--250GB Standard on $599 model
--500GB HD Standard on $799 model
--NVIDIA GeForce 320M
--2.53Ghz Standard on $599
--2.8Ghz on $799 model ((With 3.06 Ghz upgrade))

Wishes
--3.06Ghz Standard ( Core i5 Option )
--500GB Standard
--Side or Front SD Card slot
--Side or Front USB Port
--Magic Mouse & BT Keyboard Included on $799 mode
--Apple Remote Included
--Dedicated GPU with 256MB or more
dag777

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dag777 wrote:
philiparcario wrote:
you may be right the macbook is 2.4 with 2gb ram

I love to be wrong Very Happy

unfortunatelly I wasn't wrong Sad
http://www.apple.com/macmini/

Mac Mini 2.53 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB XT 7200 RPM HDD

iPhone 3GS 32GB

G4 1,25 DP PowerMac
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dag777 wrote:
unfortunatelly I wasn't wrong Sad

I was! Cool

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Video: DisplayPort with audio sounds very likely, and perhaps the asymmetrical pairing of one DisplayPort and one mini-DVI port will be replaced by 2 DisplayPorts. No change of graphics card.
CPU: Apple could bump the slower/faster Mini option from 2.26/2.53GHz to 2.66/2.8GHz, but I think it's more likely that the 2.26 will be axed and the slower/faster choice will be 2.53 or 2.66GHz.
HDD: Another increase in capacity, but no SSD.
Memory: No change.

Hideously wrong! Very Happy
Rover

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were lucky. My wife had ordered a Mac Mini [from Apple] on Thursday, 6/10. It was to be shipped in 1-3 business days, but Monday, still no shipping notification. On Tuesday, we saw the announcement of the updated Mini and started to wonder whether we should cancel our order and get the new model. We let it stand and Wednesday got an email from Apple that they were sending the new model at the old price, $100 less. We guessed that we were lucky with the timing of the order. A few days earlier, and it's possible that it would have shipped before the announcement of the new model. It's scheduled to arrive on 6/23.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: