123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils iPhone 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Apple Unveils iPhone 4 Reply with quote

Apple Unveils iPhone 4
Monday, June 7, 2010
Posted by: Glenn

Apple today unveiled the new iPhone 4 featuring FaceTime, which makes the dream of video calling a reality, and Apple's stunning new Retina display, the highest resolution display ever built into a phone, resulting in super crisp text, images and video. In addition, iPhone 4 features a 5 megapixel camera with LED flash, HD video recording, Apple's A4 processor, a 3-axis gyro and up to 40 percent longer talk time - in a beautiful all-new design of glass and stainless steel that is the thinnest smartphone in the world. iPhone 4 comes with iOS 4, the newest version of the world's most advanced mobile operating system, which includes over 100 new features and 1500 new APIs for developers. iOS 4 features Multitasking, Folders, enhanced Mail, deeper Enterprise support and Apple's new iAd mobile advertising platform.

"iPhone 4 is the biggest leap since the original iPhone," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "FaceTime video calling sets a new standard for mobile communication, and our new Retina display is the highest resolution display ever in a phone, with text looking like it does on a fine printed page. We have been dreaming about both of these breakthroughs for decades.

FaceTime is as mobile as your phone, so you can see your loved ones and friends anywhere there is Wi-Fi. Using FaceTime is as easy as making a regular voice call, with no set-up required, and you can instantly switch to the rear camera to show others what you are seeing with just a tap.

Apple's 3.5 inch Retina display has 960 x 640 pixels—four times as many pixels as the iPhone 3GS and 78 percent of the pixels on an iPad. The resulting 326 pixels per inch is so dense that the human eye is unable to distinguish individual pixels when the phone is held at a normal distance, making text, images and video look sharper, smoother and more realistic than ever before on an electronic display.

iPhone 4 is the thinnest smartphone ever - 9.3 millimeters - with an all-new design and build quality like no other mobile device. The front and back are made of aluminosilcate glass, chemically strengthened to be 30 times harder than plastic, more scratch resistant and more durable than ever. The front and back glass have an oil-resistant coating that helps keep it clean, and encircling iPhone 4 is a highly finished stainless steel band made of a custom alloy that is forged to be five times stronger than standard steel.

iPhone 4 features a new 5 megapixel autofocus camera with a 5x digital zoom, a backside illuminated sensor and built-in LED flash that allows you to take amazing pictures even in low light and dark environments. iPhone 4 lets you record and edit incredible HD video and the popular tap to focus feature now works while recording video. You can use the iPhone 4's LED flash for both still photography and video recording. The new iMovie app for iPhone lets you combine movie clips, add dynamic transitions and themes and include photos and music, and users can buy it for just $4.99 through the App Store right on their phone.

iPhone 4 is the best mobile device ever for games and entertainment, with access to tens of thousands of games and entertainment apps on the revolutionary App Store. Every iPhone 4 has a built-in 3-axis gyro that when combined with the accelerometer provides 6-axis motion sensing such as up and down, side to side, forward and backward and pitch and roll, making it perfect for gaming. Developers can access the gyro using the new CoreMotion API to make games and other apps that go well beyond what other mobile devices offer.

iPhone 4 comes with iOS 4, the newest version of the world's most advanced mobile operating system. With over 100 new features, it includes Multitasking, Folders, enhanced Mail, deeper Enterprise support and Apple's new iAd mobile advertising platform. With Multitasking, users can now instantly switch between any of their apps while preserving battery life. With Folders, users can easily organize their apps into collections by simply dragging one app on top of another. A folder is automatically created and named based on the category of apps selected. Users can change the name of any folder at any time. In addition, users can now customize their lock and home screens with an array of supplied wallpapers or with any of the photos on their phone.

The new iBooks app will be available for iPhone 4 as a free download from the App Store and includes Apple's new iBookstore, the best way to browse, buy and read books on a mobile product. The iBooks app will sync your current place in a book, along with any bookmarks, highlights and notes you have created, between copies of the same book on your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch. iBooks users can also now read and store PDFs right in iBooks. There are now over 60,000 books available in the iBookstore, and users have downloaded over five million books in the first two months.

iPhone 4 delivers an amazing seven hours of talk time on 3G networks, up to 10 hours of web browsing on Wi-Fi and up to six hours on 3G, and up to 10 hours of video playback and up to 40 hours of audio playback. iPhone 4 is powered by Apple's new A4 processor that provides exceptional processor and graphic performance along with long battery life. iPhone 4 features a second microphone and advanced software to suppress unwanted background noise for improved call quality when in loud places. iPhone 4 also offers 802.11n Wi-Fi networking and adds quad-band HSUPA to provide 7.2Mbps downlink and 5.8Mbps uplink capability.

iPhone 4 comes in either black or white and will be available in the US for a suggested retail price of $199 for the 16GB model and $299 for the 32GB model in both Apple and AT&T's retail and online stores, Best Buy and Wal-Mart stores. iPhone 4 will be available in the US, France, Germany, Japan and the UK on June 24 and customers can pre-order their iPhone 4 beginning Tuesday, June 15 from the Apple Online Store or reserve an iPhone 4 to pick up at an Apple Retail Store. iMovie for iPhone will be available on the App Store for $4.99.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1523.html
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now just give us a CDMA version and more capacity in the next year and a half and I'll be good, otherwise, I love the new look, but I have to wonder about the durability, I know the front uses an extremely durable glass, but how would it handle hitting concrete on the corner a spot many designs have strength issues? And nice to see they finally made it so the white versions are all white instead of a white back with a black screen border, that looked odd to me. Also, when can I get my 3G S updated to iOS 4, I WANT IT NOW! Very Happy

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it has a user facing cam. Better have Photobooth on download. I want to make some funny faces on the go.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Since it has a user facing cam. Better have Photobooth on download. I want to make some funny faces on the go.

And backgrounds so your wife doesn't know where you are. Smile
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_Tex wrote:
SOCOMRAIDER wrote:

And backgrounds so your wife doesn't know where you are. Smile
Laughing So you can tell your wife you are on the beach. After a while she will wonder how come you go to the exact same spot every time.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a weird glitch. I double posted and apparently replied to my own post... Laughing
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in the new iPhone. I've started my own small business. I've been developing an online store that carries approx. 200 Meguiar's car care products. The online store official opens June 17th.

After that I will need to stay connected (if I want to make money). The phone will be a business expense.

Honestly, I'm not really into cell phones. I still have the original Mototola razor and I don't even use up $100 worth of pay as you go per year.

I think the iPhone will be much handier than an iPad for mobile business. I don't think I would want to carry an iPad everywhere.
Voyager

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good in white - would match the mini!

While it looks interesting - I haven't seen if there is a way of having a FaceTime conversation with another device (say this mini) rather than another iPhone 4?
MrBabou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager wrote:
Looks good in white - would match the mini!

While it looks interesting - I haven't seen if there is a way of having a FaceTime conversation with another device (say this mini) rather than another iPhone 4?

I would have to guess, no. They said there is no set-up involved, so you have to assume you have to call the person you want to have the conversation with. And since you cannot call your Mac-Mini...
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does any one from the UK know if Apple stores stayed open later on previous iPhone launch days?
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: