123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FireWire Network questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReliantLion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: FireWire Network questions Reply with quote

I know it's possible network an Windows XP and OS X using a FireWire cable. They took this out in Windows 7 because it is considered old technology... (yeah...)

Before I wipe my Windows 7 and go back to XP, I need to know what configurations are possible. i.e. Can I plug my Mini into an external HDD enclosure which doubles as a hub, then plug my XP machine into that? If not, can I use a regular FireWire hub and connect everything to that? Or am I just a wishful thinker. I'd want the Mini to control the HDD's, and just have fast network file transfers between the XP machine and the Mini.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you format the hdd in FAT32 both windows and mac can access the hdd.

Fat has a size limit for files 32gb I think. So a huge itunes could be a problem

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
if you format the hdd in FAT32 both windows and mac can access the hdd.

Fat has a size limit for files 32gb I think. So a huge itunes could be a problem

FAT32 has a SINGLE file size limit of 4GB, 32GB is the max partition size Windows allows for with it's formatting tool, you can go higher with other partitioning software. As for the set up he's trying you CANNOT access a single HDD from two machines via firewire, and trying to network through the HDD may be an issue as the windows machine will recognize the HDD, I believe you cannot connect slave devices to a firewire line that you are using to network as each host device will try to control the slave device, in this case an external HDD, which while some devices may be able to connect to multiple hosts, an external HDD cannot. Essentially I believe your idea doesn't work, trying it can easily result in hard drive data corruption.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was not too sure about it. He may need to do it with a nas device and access it that way. it would use a router and cat 5 wire. my synology can do it. kind of like a 2 step process. mac to syn syn to pc.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
He may need to do it with a nas device and access it that way. it would use a router and cat 5 wire.

Agreed. Ethernet is the way to go.

A couple of years ago, there was a young guy on here who wanted to know if he could plug one computer into each of the two firewire ports on his new external HDD. I and a few others strongly warned against doing this, but he did it anyway.

A couple of days later, he came back to the forum to report that his brand new HDD wasn't working properly anymore.... Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: